CFL stadium makeovers w/pics

Re: CFL stadium makeovers w/pics

by TravelPat1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:10 pm

Apparently at the announcement of the joint bid today in New York it was revealed 10 games would be played in each of Canada and Mexico with the 60 other games - including quarters, semis and final all played in the USA.

So that means a minimum of 40,000 seats is all that would be required for any of the games played in Canada.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:13 pm

-Hammer- wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:
c-way-dude wrote:It's hard to believe that the U.S., with all of their expensive state-of-the-art stadiums, would see the need to share the World Cup. Even with the increased number of participating teams, the tournament can still be hosted in as few as 12 stadiums.
At best, Canada's participation in a joint bid would likely only see games in Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, and Montreal (with some stadium renovations). I don't see the roof at Olympic Stadium being an issue, as the World Cup is played in summer.
I would have liked to see Canada put in a bid to host on it's own. We are in a better position to host than we have ever been. A bid could feature existing CFL stadiums (exchanging Molson for Olympic), the SkyDome, and new stadiums in Halifax and Quebec City. Calgary could use the event as an opportunity to receive help with replacing McMahon. The final could be hosted either at an expanded Big O, or an expanded Commonwealth. We might have a chance to win the bid if Trump ticks off enough countries so that their delegates consider voting for us out of spite.

I think we need a pro league growing soccer as a prerequisite for our own bid but I could be wrong .

You mean like this proposed league?

http://www.wakingthered.com/canadian-premier-league

I forgot about Moncton hosting some Women World Cup games and decent crowds.
They are talking about crowds of 5k to 7k for a Moncton team in the CPL which is pretty good for a lower tier league.

http://www.wakingthered.com/2017/3/21/1 ... terest-cpl
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:27 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:Apparently at the announcement of the joint bid today in New York it was revealed 10 games would be played in each of Canada and Mexico with the 60 other games - including quarters, semis and final all played in the USA.

So that means a minimum of 40,000 seats is all that would be required for any of the games played in Canada.

I'm sure they could get BMO to 40K - if needed. 36K were at their Dec 10th game so, add a few seats here and there, and we're good. Either that or play it at the Rogers Center.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:30 pm

With only 10 games in Canada, the infrastructure is already in place. Vancouver, Edmonton and Montreal, the biggest costs would be security and to get grass fields in place. This was done in Detroit in 1994 at the Silverdome so it won't be an issue IMO.

An Expanded BMO would be too small and Rogers Centre will likely have their renovations done to be baseball only well before then.

It's essentially a US bid with overflow.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Mightygoose wrote:With only 10 games in Canada, the infrastructure is already in place. Vancouver, Edmonton and Montreal, the biggest costs would be security and to get grass fields in place. This was done in Detroit in 1994 at the Silverdome so it won't be an issue IMO.

An Expanded BMO would be too small and Rogers Centre will likely have their renovations done to be baseball only well before then.

It's essentially a US bid with overflow.

All good points, MG, however I can't imagine the TFC crowd not demanding a game or 2 or 3 or even 4. Hope you're right and Toronto gets bypassed!
All-Star

by Argofan_1000 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:51 pm

It says the world cup in Brazil cost 15 BILLION US and returned 100 million to the government of Brazil. Brazil spent billions on stadiums with no use after a month.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/s ... /22050583/

There is no appetite with governments for a FIFA World Cup in Canada or the US with FIFA taking all of the money and sharing nothing.

Oh yea, FIFA corruption, didn't the US just point that out last year? I don't want any tax dollars going to this as there is zero return on investment. It took 40 years to pay off the Big "O" - are you kidding me!
Veteran

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Argofan_1000 wrote:It says the world cup in Brazil cost 15 BILLION US and returned 100 million to the government of Brazil. Brazil spent billions on stadiums with no use after a month.

There is no appetite with governments for a FIFA World Cup in Canada or the US with FIFA taking all of the money and sharing nothing.

Oh yea, FIFA corruption, didn't the US just point that out last year? I don't want any tax dollars going to this as there is zero return on investment. It took 40 years to pay off the Big "O" - are you kidding me!

:thup:
All-Star

by The Last Word » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:44 pm

Argofan_1000 wrote:It says the world cup in Brazil cost 15 BILLION US and returned 100 million to the government of Brazil. Brazil spent billions on stadiums with no use after a month.

We won't have to worry about spending $15 billion here for 10 games.

BC Place will probably get a few with minor modifications. Install grass over artificial turf.

Commonwealth might have a shot. They have had really grass in the stadium before so that should be no problem to reinstall.

BMO Field can be permanently expanded to seat more than its 30,000. The west side roof is probably 30-40 feet above the pressbox. They can probably tear down the current west stands and build something that more closely mirrors the new east grand stand. This would probably bring permanent capacity to 33 - 35,000. With additional seating capacity would be nearly 45,000.

Montreal will only see World Cup play if they install real grass at Olympic Stadium and complete a decent refurb of the bowls including seat replacement.

Overall this World Cup (which will probably be won with this bid, sorry BCRiderfan you are wrong :lol: ) should only cost Canada $1 - $2 billion split between the feds and various provincial and municipal governments.

The Last Word
Starter

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:52 pm

The Last Word wrote:Overall this World Cup (which will probably be won with this bid, sorry BCRiderfan you are wrong :lol: ) should only cost Canada $1 - $2 billion split between the feds and various provincial and municipal governments.

ONLY?

If there is any truth to this, and that's a big IF, it would be such a waste/shame.

I've already written Trudeau and Wynne. I recommend others write as well.
All-Star

by The Last Word » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:05 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
The Last Word wrote:Overall this World Cup (which will probably be won with this bid, sorry BCRiderfan you are wrong :lol: ) should only cost Canada $1 - $2 billion split between the feds and various provincial and municipal governments.

ONLY?

If there is any truth to this, and that's a big IF, it would be such a waste/shame.

Split between the fed, 3 provincial governments and 3 municipal governments it's not that much in the grand scheme of things. There will be money for minor stadium improvements (or major in case of big owe), minor infrastructure improvements (the big-3 cities have all hosted major events in the past), security, accomodations, training facilities etc. The last one would be the best legacy as new training facilities and soccer fields would be used by local communities after the games.
Starter

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:09 pm

The Last Word wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:

ONLY?

Split between the fed, 3 provincial governments and 3 municipal governments it's not that much in the grand scheme of things. There will be money for minor stadium improvements (or major in case of big owe), minor infrastructure improvements (the big-3 cities have all hosted major events in the past), security, accomodations, training facilities etc. The last one would be the best legacy as new training facilities and soccer fields would be used by local communities after the games.

When it comes to this issue, as others have pointed out, I'm a hypocrite. If money is being used for CFL venues, I'm all for it. For anything else and, to me, it's a waste of money.

Again, I wrote the PM and my Premier. I suggest others do the same.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:18 pm

They're not going to be building any new venues so the price will relatively small compared to other bids.

Security and grass installation being the 2 big ticket items, it will be manageable. With the scarcity of tickets of only having 10 games, they'll make some back there. Plus I'm not sure if TSN's rights extend that far down the road. With the tournament being in our timezones, the rights fees should be pretty lucrative depending where the industry is at.

The managble bill will leave the feds plenty of money to support Calgary's forthcoming Olympic bid and a new stadium for a CFL team will morph there so no worries on that front.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Mightygoose wrote:Calgary's forthcoming Olympic bid...

Winter?
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:41 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
Mightygoose wrote:Calgary's forthcoming Olympic bid...

Winter?

Yup! 2026 though possibly 2030 depending how the 2024 summer bids end.

What I really feel CalgaryNEXT in some form is cooking
All-Star

by drummer_god » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Why wouldn't they just use the best stadiums in the country, regardless of location?

BCplace
Commonwealth
Mosaic
IGF
THF

Expansion of the final 3 stadiums would cost plenty less than building new in toronto/montreal.
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext