CFL on U.S. TV in 2010?

CFL on U.S. TV in 2010?

by pemory » Fri May 28, 2010 10:44 pm

Hi:

Has anybody heard any U.S. broadcast news for 2010?

~pemory
Practice Squad

Re: CFL on U.S. TV in 2010?

by Paolo X » Sat May 29, 2010 12:11 am

pemory wrote:Hi:

Has anybody heard any U.S. broadcast news for 2010?

~pemory

http://www.cfl.ca/page/u-s-broadcast-webcast

Via one click off the homepage under "Video" ...no news and your best bet to watch for no additional charge as in PPV is via www.channelsurfing.net and if you have Comcast, on The Comcast Network (not the same as Comcast Sports Channel) possibly again this season from what I've heard.
All-Star

by Mark7 » Mon May 31, 2010 2:57 am

Prolly hunched over a computer somewhere like the last two years...seems like the CFL on TV is DEAD in the States.
Gotta luv the CFL!!!!!
Veteran

by rpaege » Mon May 31, 2010 10:48 am

Mark7 wrote:Prolly hunched over a computer somewhere like the last two years...seems like the CFL on TV is DEAD in the States.

No way hunched. I use a Mac Mini as a media hub and have it hooked up to my HDTV. Games streamed, though not high resolution, looks almost as good as they do on regular tv, and sometimes better (especially the Veetle feeds if you can find one). I missed only one game last year, and that's because I wasn't at home at the time.

The CFL on TV is dead in the states depending on where you live. If you live in a rural community you can probably get at least some games through America One (or whatever it's called), and apparently Comcast Sports Net still carries some games in some larger markets, though not in California where I live.

I seriously hope that in the future the CFL pulls the plug entirely on crappy TV contracts in the states, and goes full speed ahead with streaming ALL games to everywhere, with an annual subscription. That's the future of television anyway.
Image Image
All-Star

by Can Am Border Fan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:21 pm

The real stinker is that we're only a couple of weeks away from the season opener and there is no info about US carriers. Not even America One. They don't have the CFL listed on their website. They've updated for Indoor football, and some rugby, but that's about it. It's a shame really.
Rookie

by CFL Fan » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:25 am

Last year Altitude TV made a last minute announcement that they were going to carry CFL games. Which they did until toward the end of the season when they yanked them citing "questionable advertising"....
Practice Squad

by Xvys » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:46 pm

The sad fact is that the CFL does not care much about U.S. viewers because they generate zero dollars for the league. This is unfortunate as their are hundreds of thousands of CFL fans across the U.S.A. who love the CFL, but are unable to watch the games. Even the TSN/CFL broadband service is blacked-out in the U.S. I know many fans would PAY to watch the games live, but that is unavailable.

The league usually waits until the regular season starts (or a few weeks after) to announce their U.S. cable carriers (subject to change.) :wink:

Hopefully there is some technology, some day, which will allow more Americans to watch our great game. :thup:
All-Star

by rpaege » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:16 pm

ESPN360 carries some games until the college season starts. So you get to see the first half of the season :roll:
Image Image
All-Star

by Paolo X » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:22 pm

rpaege wrote:ESPN360 carries some games until the college season starts. So you get to see the first half of the season :roll:

It's ESPN3 now, and the catch with that is that your internet provider has to have some agreement with them too as was not the case with Comcast here two years ago, but I don't know now.

But hey if you have decent internet access why would anyone bother than just going pirate via sites like www.channelsurfing.net.

Yet again, when the cable and satellite companies make access to content hard or complicated, the people get (and have a right to do so in my opinion) what they want otherwise for free. :thup: :)
All-Star

by Paolo X » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:47 pm

Can Am Border Fan wrote:The real stinker is that we're only a couple of weeks away from the season opener and there is no info about US carriers. Not even America One. They don't have the CFL listed on their website. They've updated for Indoor football, and some rugby, but that's about it. It's a shame really.

We'll see if America One updates their website or not in two weeks. Geez if they can show awful games such as Rugby LEAGUE (different from rugby as most of you might know it), they can damn well show the far better CFL action again this year.

Here's the link to find your local affiliate anywhere in the US. Ours here in Philadelphia is TCN-8 The Comcast Network for example:

http://www.americaone.com/watch/

I'm set when I move to Florida too so I sure hope America One carries the CFL yet again.
All-Star

by rpaege » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:35 am

Comcast supports ESPN360, er, 3, as of last September. For what it's worth. It never seems to have anything worth watching for me. Though I have been thinking of taking in an Aussie rules game.
Image Image
All-Star

by KristjanCFL » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:45 pm

If you American fans are real lucky, the lack of announcements may mean that the League managed to dump America One for something better :rockin:
All-Star

by geo365 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:09 pm

KristjanCFL wrote:If you American fans are real lucky, the lack of announcements may mean that the League managed to dump America One for something better :rockin:

Lets hope so!
All-Star

by Paolo X » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:39 am

And here is the bad news for watching the CFL online:
http://www.americaone.com/services/blackouts.php

No choice but to go pirate if viewing online I guess, but you might have luck online all the same if you can access the TV stream for a FioS or uVerse service online as well. :?

All the same there in the link you see name of the guy whom I am e-mailing at America One now to find out if they are even going to be showing the CFL action this year or not, and I'll keep you guys posted should I hear anything. I don't see why not when they show so many far less popular sports week in week out.

Bug him as well yourselves too for that matter for all I care. :P Then he'll know we mean business and we will be harder to ignore. :thup:

Paolo X wrote:
Can Am Border Fan wrote:The real stinker is that we're only a couple of weeks away from the season opener and there is no info about US carriers. Not even America One. They don't have the CFL listed on their website. They've updated for Indoor football, and some rugby, but that's about it. It's a shame really.

We'll see if America One updates their website or not in two weeks. Geez if they can show awful games such as Rugby LEAGUE (different from rugby as most of you might know it), they can damn well show the far better CFL action again this year.

Here's the link to find your local affiliate anywhere in the US. Ours here in Philadelphia is TCN-8 The Comcast Network for example:

http://www.americaone.com/watch/

I'm set when I move to Florida too so I sure hope America One carries the CFL yet again.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:10 am

rpaege wrote:Comcast supports ESPN360, er, 3, as of last September. For what it's worth. It never seems to have anything worth watching for me. Though I have been thinking of taking in an Aussie rules game.

Aussie rules is one game I could never get into at all, but the physical conditioning required to play it is remarkable all the same on that massive pitch on which it is played. Have a look at it if you have never watched it, and you'll basically be in a time warp of sorts.

For what it is worth for sake of the history of all football, as apparently Aussie Rules has been around since even before the formation of the Football Association in 1871 for what we know know as soccer, and Rugby Football Union the same year for rugby (union), Aussie rules resembles closely early games of football in the US, Canada, and UK before the respective coding of soccer/football, rugby, Canadian rugby/football, and American football.

The Aussie version of the fair catch, as exists today in some form still also in rugby and is called a "mark,", is called also a "mark" though such a play was called a "fair catch" originally in all the other football codes before 1871.

Also what the Aussies call a "behind" is based on the original version of the "rouge" as adopted later by Canadian rugby/football but abandoned by football in the UK.

So the next time folks wonder why American football has a fair catch or Canadian football has a rouge, well there you go those rules and others are due to just plain traditions that never changed even with Walter Camp for American football and the Canadian Rugby Football Union who codified each game's early rules about the same time respectively.
All-Star

Next