Hello World

Re: Hello World

by raymarkca » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:47 am

Haha @ flip cell. You and me are old school. I thought that too once, until I did upgrade my cell phone. Now, I will never go back to a flip phone. Same can be said of stadiums. While you might be good with it the youth in Calgary may
or may not agree. I guarantee if a new stadium does get built 99% of you would enjoy what it offers and would not believe that you watched games at the old stadium. I remember when Skydome was first built how much I was like thank god over Exhibition stadium.

Thanks for posting the link to my blog site. I did not know I could post the sit on my footer. I will look into it eventually, but since you did it here there no rush. Glad you enjoyed the read.
Life is blog, or maybe it is like a box of chocolates. Exercise your mind as well as your body.
Warning subject matter may require thinking outside the box.
Visit
http://www.raymark.ca
Rookie

by prairiewolf77 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:58 am

Good to see a new poster that isn't bogged down in negativity.

As for calgary stadium, when I lived in Calgary, I had season tickets and a group of us tailgated.

Calgary has great site lines. I never had any issues while at the games.

I guess there may be a chance for a new one in 10 years if Calgary bids and gets the winter olympics.
Starter

by brihind88 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:11 pm

First, I was old school before old school became old . :D

Another thing to consider is the winter olympic bid.
That might have something to do with it IF Calgary bids and / or wins.

Further, the debate can go on about new stadiums.

The question must be asked ,

Is it worth the cost for a building that will be used 12 days out of the year ?
All-Star

by prairiewolf77 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:13 pm

Perhaps if the football stadium was in a different area of the city, they might be able to hold more events there.

Calgary's noise bylaw officers, when I lived in Calgary, were almost fanatical in the area around the stadium.
This is the city who sent bylaw officers to ticket the performer who was entertaining post Grey Cup game. Thankfully the Grey Cup committee paid for the ticket, not the entertainer.
Starter

by raymarkca » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Well first off nothing says that the stadium can not be used more than 12 days a year. Depending on how they build it, it could also be used to be the home of other teams in the city (MLS? Dinos?). They can also use it for large concerts in the summer. Calgary is also a place where lots of olympic athetes train, so you can also build some training facilities into a new stadium, But assuming that you use it for stamps games only, my answer would still be yes. That of course is just me! I am sure Riders fans and Bombers fans are enjoying the new stadiums usage, but i could be wrong. Maybe its worth asking them if they like the new stadiums or would rather sit at old mosaic etc,
Life is blog, or maybe it is like a box of chocolates. Exercise your mind as well as your body.
Visit
Rookie

by Brass » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:24 pm

McMahon Stadium is in a good location...is outdoors (unlike CalgaryNext)...does not push the real fans up higher just so some boxes can be built lower down....has a great view from every seat in the house...concessions are adequate (it is a football stadium and not a restaurant).

The only improvements I would make would be to try and put a little cover over the fans (like they did at BMO)..replace the benches with seats everywhere...and if i could dare to dream...complete the horseshoe by filling in one end of the stadium with seats.

The only people i hear complaining are people not from Calgary, and rich owners who just want more $$$ and don't even come to Stampeders games anyways.
Practice Squad

by brihind88 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:32 pm

raymarkca wrote:Well first off nothing says that the stadium can not be used more than 12 days a year. Depending on how they build it, it could also be used to be the home of other teams in the city (MLS? Dinos?). They can also use it for large concerts in the summer. Calgary is also a place where lots of olympic athetes train, so you can also build some training facilities into a new stadium, But assuming that you use it for stamps games only, my answer would still be yes. That of course is just me! I am sure Riders fans and Bombers fans are enjoying the new stadiums usage, but i could be wrong. Maybe its worth asking them if they like the new stadiums or would rather sit at old mosaic etc,

MLS will not come to Calgary. NASL perhaps.

McMahon is owned by the University of Calgary. The Dinos will continue to play there.
All-Star

by ed ohmnes » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:36 pm

Good
Starter

by BCCFLFAN » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:05 pm

brihind88 wrote:
raymarkca wrote:I am a long time CFL fan, but new to this site. Thanks to all that maintain this site allowing fans around the world to find a common place to get together. I will keep this post short.

Great looking new stadium in Regina, CONGRATZ. Now if only Calgary can get it together and build a new stadium that would go a long way to giving the league more credibility overall. Where exactly are negotiations there? Last I heard CalgaryNext got tossed.

Would love to hear some comments on my blog on CFL football bashing. Anytime you are on a forum somewhere and there is some guy talking trash about this league feel free to link them to my page. Since I can not post URL's to my blog you can find the address attached to my profile. From the home page it will be easy to find.

Nice to hear from you.

BTW, we have it together just fine here in Calgary without advice from others.

Have a question, don't take it the wrong way, but what is the lifespan of McMahon and can it or will it be upgraded to improve on its lifespan.
Starter

by ichabod_crane » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:20 pm

McMahon stadium was first built in 1960. It is situated on the University of Calgary campus grounds. So the Dino's football team also uses it + I think some Calgary minor league football games too at times. Some major renovations were made for the 1988 Winter Olympics (Opening and closing ceremonies were held at McMahon - Eddie the Eagle & The Jamaican Bobsled team forever remembered baby!! ;) ) and I think once or twice after that as well. It is right along the C-Train (metro train) line which is great to get in and out of the park on. It is passable still and they have done a few things the past few years to make it better (more concessions & port-a-potties) and is quaint for an old barn, but really Calgary needs new digs at some point.

I would agree there is no major league bad seat in the house unlike some other stadiums I have been to before. It would be great if they could model a new barn similar to Ottawa with pre and post game restaurants/pubs and shops nearby to make it a magnet meeting place. Calgary has a major glut of condos at the moment, so that might take awhile to get that part off the ground for any development.
Rookie

by RedandWhite » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:40 pm

BCCFLFAN wrote:but what is the lifespan of McMahon and can it or will it be upgraded to improve on its lifespan.

...for an old facility it's in relatively good shape...the basic stadium construction is solid and regular preventive maintenance and standard repairs could see the facility last for many more decades...in that respect I don't think anything is required to improve on it's lifespan...

...As many have noted, the in-arena game experience is wonderful...the bench seats in the corners and along the tops could be switched to individual seats sure.....what the major problem is it comes down to a question of major retrofit to improve the concession and public facilities...and who is going to pay for that? as it is owned by the University they are not in a position to make expenditures like this, and as the Stampeders are only tenants why would they sink tons of dollars into a facility they don't own? would you renovate a house you're only renting? so unless we get the olympics I see this stalemate continuing for some time...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by BCCFLFAN » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:45 pm

RedandWhite wrote:
BCCFLFAN wrote:but what is the lifespan of McMahon and can it or will it be upgraded to improve on its lifespan.

...for an old facility it's in relatively good shape...the basic stadium construction is solid and regular preventive maintenance and standard repairs could see the facility last for many more decades...in that respect I don't think anything is required to improve on it's lifespan...

...As many have noted, the in-arena game experience is wonderful...the bench seats in the corners and along the tops could be switched to individual seats sure.....what the major problem is it comes down to a question of major retrofit to improve the concession and public facilities...and who is going to pay for that? as it is owned by the University they are not in a position to make expenditures like this, and as the Stampeders are only tenants why would they sink tons of dollars into a facility they don't own? would you renovate a house you're only renting? so unless we get the olympics I see this stalemate continuing for some time...

Well it will need to be replaced eventually but then it will probably cost a lot more for a new stadium down the road than it would now
Starter

by RedandWhite » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:04 pm

...everything will need replacing eventually...

...and yes it will cost more in the future than now, but there is absolutely no appetite whatsoever for taxpayers to pay for it now, so it isn't going to happen anytime soon...
Site Staff

by raymarkca » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:07 pm

Exactly. Even though the stadium may be in OK shape now, it will not be that long before it becomes the new Ivor Wynn. Hamilton could not even play at that stadium and had to play in Guelph for a bit (for which I attended a game there. Those bench seats are killer). I get that everyone seems to love the site lines of the old barn, but nothing says they can not build that into a new one (with cushy seats and weather protection). If you guys think its costly to build a stadium now just wait a few years and see what the cost will be then. Honestly, I think it would reflect better on the league to have everyone in revamped stadiums. Aside from perhaps Montreal, Calgary is the last piece of the puzzle. At the end of the day though if Calgarians do not want a new stadium it is up to them (but beyond my understanding).
Visit
Rookie

by RedandWhite » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:25 pm

...what's hard to understand? no one has money to spend on a new stadium....it's not like it's some sort of piece of critical infrastructure that life and death hangs in the balance without....
Site Staff

PreviousNext