Ideas? How to improve audience numbers? Attendance?

Re: Ideas? How to improve audience numbers? Attendance?

by rpaege » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Celebrity endorsements. Particularly in the chronically bored Toronto market. It will generate CFL exposure beyond football. If they're in town, they should be at the Argo games where they are seen and recorded, and generating social media buzz. Have 'em pitch their latest project if that's what it takes to get them on camera enjoying the game. Better yet, get multiple celebrities hanging out at the game, as if it's THE place to hang out. Put 'em on billboards too. Get 'em to mention their great experience on their next talk show appearance, which will eventually show up on Youtube and other sites, adding future endorsement value.
ImageImage
All-Star

by brianjoxx » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:46 pm

So a few points. Turn around can only go two ways. Wasn't going to reply as most have deaf ears. However different points are good. Been watching CFL for a few years. First Game 1956.
Why to I love CFL and its quality play!!!!!!!!!!
Quote: "I mean how do you maintain and increase the younger audience numbers?"

What attracted me to CFL. Meeting players in the street, at practice invites, malls everywhere. Eskies ran youth football camps. Worked for the CFL BUT Where given full time jobs which paid very well. Hate to say given but community wanted them as they new they would never leave a good situation. So lets TRY to keep players from changing teams every second year.
Who did Jackie Parker, Ron Lancaster, Joe Kapp, Russ Jackson, Antony Callvio, Bernie the rife,
Condrege Holloway, Dieter Brock, Bill Simon's, play for????????
They sign and played for many years became a part of community.

Remember Ed Hervey and the collapse of Eskies this year. OR NOT.
Community wanted access to players. You get paid $60,000 from Eskies, Job $70,000
Love by community!!! Not Bad. Or jump players around. RUN for the CASH
Takes time!!!!

Second choice is USA development league. 6 Canadian teams 12 American.
New Rules, new system, Great step from college to NFL. Big cities only, reasonable tickets and beer. FAST PLAY WITH BIG INCENTIVES.
Sponsor by NFL. Deep Deep pockets. If I owned a CFL team, I'm in.
Starter

by swahgade3 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:02 am

Farm out Jeff Hunt to every CFL city facing adversity. The man is a genius when it comes to marketing. He has tapped into the younger crowd who like to watch the game from the "bar rail", who like to wander around a bit. He has established a link with youth football for selling fifty-fifty tickets (the parents do the selling). We RB fans feel like were part of the team #RNation! Free Wi-Fi, party atmosphere, great scoreboard (a long standing issue in Ottawa), excellent sight lines and seats. We've got it all here in the town that fun forgot!
Rookie

by bohdon » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:40 pm

I have to admit I didn't read this whole thread so maybe what I have to say has already been mentioned.

#1 NO BLACKOUTS PLEASE! Biggest mistake you could possibly make, nothing worse for a young fan than to not be able to watch his favorite team. There are a lot of people who can not afford such luxuries as taking the kids to a ball game.... way way too many. I say this from experience.

My suggestion starts right here with the CFL's bestest fans.
We all need to quit our bellyaching with the refs, every game it's waaa this and waa that did you see what they called waa how could they do that waaa what are they watching waaa I can't believe it waaa I give up waaa we lost because they screwed us waa waa waaa.

Now what potential new fan is gonna think oh hey I should follow that sheet... think about it if you like.

It's great to be excited about the game but if a call does not go your teams way just fess up and hope for better results next time.

FWIW I too get frustrated at some of the calls but realizing how incredibly difficult it is to make the call in the first place helps. The worst thing you can do is put the blame on the refs and turn to your friends and say oh man the refs costs us that one. I say no it's poor play cost your team the game %100 of the time every time.

The review system is working just fine IMO, not perfect because we are all human after all but working as intended.

Want new viewers? How about a slogan like CFL - Home of the best ref's in the world
Wanna make a cool video? How about CFL - Home of the toughest refs in the world, then show some crazy hits on the ref - finish it with the recent Hill indecent.
Starter

by prairiewolf77 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:02 pm

Haven't read every post, but I would suggest the league spending the money not just on marketing, but information gathering in each CFL city of what the hardcore and casual fan is looking for.

National campaigns can work, but 9 specific campaigns would work better. What works in Sask, probably won't work in Toronto. What works in Ottawa, may not work in Vancouver.

Why can the MLS which is in the top 20 of Soccer leagues in the World, can find 25k-35k hardcore fans that come to everygame, but in those same markets, the CFL is struggling to get 15k-20k. And the CFL is #2 in pro football leagues.

So its not based on league rank, its based on perceptions.
Starter

by CFL2USA » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:37 pm

Expand the league, thus giving fans a bigger variety of match ups.
Rookie

by letsgoticats » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:28 pm

CFL2USA wrote:Expand the league, thus giving fans a bigger variety of match ups.

No thanks.
Starter

by PTBO Dave » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:37 pm

letsgoticats wrote:
CFL2USA wrote:Expand the league, thus giving fans a bigger variety of match ups.

No thanks.

Are you against expansion completely, or just against trying to force it, or something else?
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by canadianfootballfan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:19 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:
letsgoticats wrote:

No thanks.

Are you against expansion completely, or just against trying to force it, or something else?

Why does any of it matter? We are forum members, not CFL administrators, so to be blunt... our opinions on any of this are actually quite irrelevant.
Veteran

by brihind88 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:42 am

letsgoticats wrote:

No thanks.

AGREE LGCats,

Atlantic Halifax is not in a position to have a team ( economy, stadium and population )

I sure in the hell do not want any US teams ever again.

The only good thing ( other than the Als ) is that the CFL learned how stupid that was.
All-Star

by rpaege » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:56 am

brihind88 wrote:
letsgoticats wrote:

No thanks.

AGREE LGCats,

Atlantic Halifax is not in a position to have a team ( economy, stadium and population )

I sure in the hell do not want any US teams ever again.

The only good thing ( other than the Als ) is that the CFL learned how stupid that was.

Expansion has to happen from the ground up, not the top down. When another city is ready with a stadium and ownership, I'm sure the CFL will be there for them.
ImageImage
All-Star

by dcmoses » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:49 pm

canadianfootballfan wrote:
Why does any of it matter? We are forum members, not CFL administrators, so to be blunt... our opinions on any of this are actually quite irrelevant.

Then why are you on a CFL message board where discussion of all things CFL is what it's for?
All-Star

by WHip » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:54 am

I have been a fan all my life and have watched as the game has improved in all areas and is incredibly fast. Yet the biggest complaint I hear is " kick the ball- kick the ball"- I know this is heresy but I think 4 downs would fill the seats, especially in Toronto which is an at risk franchaise.
Practice Squad

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:06 am

WHip wrote:I have been a fan all my life and have watched as the game has improved in all areas and is incredibly fast. Yet the biggest complaint I hear is " kick the ball- kick the ball"- I know this is heresy but I think 4 downs would fill the seats, especially in Toronto which is an at risk franchaise.

Here comes another first time poster telling us how much he loves the CFL and then criticizes it. :roll:
All-Star

by canadianfootballfan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:53 am

dcmoses wrote:
canadianfootballfan wrote:

Then why are you on a CFL message board where discussion of all things CFL is what it's for?

Because I actually discuss things that are relevant to fans. Not things like how the CFL should change, or anything else that is out of my control.

We're all welcome to opinions on anything, but when it's something we have zero control of, then our opinions are literally irrelevant.
Veteran

PreviousNext