GDT Bomber @ Riders

Re: GDT Bomber @ Riders

by Paolo X » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:38 am

How in the world was that evidence conclusive so as to overturn the call on the field of a fumble by Grant in the 4th quarter?

I think based on the evidence the call could have gone either way, but when the video evidence is not conclusive so as to overturn the call on the field, the call on the field still stands in the CFL right?

Did the premise for the Command Centre to be able to overturn calls in the CFL change at some point?
All-Star

by Aerial » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:09 am

I don't know, maybe the league and officials want the officials on the field to be making more of the calls rather than overturning from the CC which I would be in favour of, but this is from March of this year on cfl.ca:

RULES COMMITTEE RECOMMENDS IMPROVEMENTS TO CHALLENGE PROCESS

The committee has also recommended increasing the duties of the video official in the Command Centre so they can correct errors when:

- When a flag has been thrown for a line of scrimmage penalty (offside or procedure)
- When a flag has been thrown for an unnecessary roughness penalty following a play and the video official sees other unnecessary roughness infractions
- When a call for illegal contact on a receiver should be changed to defensive pass interference because the ball had been thrown

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/03/22/rules-com ... e-process/
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by brihind88 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:57 pm

Paolo X wrote:
dcmoses wrote:So glad that change in the rules took care of coaching using their challenge on fishing expeditions.

I thought this thing could be fixed, but clearly the CFL is not competent enough to handle technology. Video review MUST be eliminated to save the game.

That was awful last night. If we have to see the likes of that every weekend, woe to the CFL.

That's right PX,

These will cost some teams a possible playoff position or even a playoff game.

Think about at the end of the season, and it comes down to a tie breaker. Then you remember a bad call that cost you that 1 win .

Then they just admit they made a mistake and offer an apology the next day. :roll:
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Aerial wrote:Toronto, no, this isn't a dream. Just imagine. :D

The most amazing thing is that the main tailgate are probably had pushing 10 000 in it. It is bigger that a football field in area and it was packed. thing is that there was stuff happening on the other side of the field as well...was pretty surreal.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:20 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:Kevin Glenn suddenly morphing into Selwyn Glenn as the half approaches.

He was too greedy on 2nd and 20, trying for a 1st down w/ under 45 second left in half.

Idiot.

Turning point...that or the nice pass to the wide open Hurl.
All-Star

by Dust » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:18 pm

Maybe I'm in the minority but I thought it was a fairly well officiated game. There wasn't an over abundance of flags on every play. My biggest beef is still with these "illegal contact" challenges. There's illegal contact to a certain degree on every play, unless it has an actual impact on the play or it's a guy getting smashed to the ground, it shouldn't be called. It's a get out of jail free challenge for the coaches and they need to eliminate it. It also kills the flow of the game.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Dust wrote:Maybe I'm in the minority but I thought it was a fairly well officiated game. There wasn't an over abundance of flags on every play. My biggest beef is still with these "illegal contact" challenges. There's illegal contact to a certain degree on every play, unless it has an actual impact on the play or it's a guy getting smashed to the ground, it shouldn't be called. It's a get out of jail free challenge for the coaches and they need to eliminate it. It also kills the flow of the game.

yup.
if it was actually the direction of the throw, fine. Otherwise, nope. Even if the guy is pushed hard, pass. They need to do something with it. If they insist on keeping it around it at minimum needs amended. These fishing expeditions are not the intent of the challenge...so can em or put intense restriction on them
All-Star

by Dust » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:25 pm

I like to consider it karma that when Winnipeg was awarded a first down because of that challenge, they didn't get any extra points out of it. They were in field goal range, got their first down, and had to settle for a field goal anyways.

We've had quite a few close good games early in the season, too much negativity in here.
All-Star

by The Last Word » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:48 pm

lol of course Rider fans felt the games was reffed just fine as they were the beneficiaries of two terrible calls - one a contact on a receiver inside of 5 yards of the line of scrimmage which was clear as day on the replay yet they got it wrong; and the brutal reversal of a fumble call by the receiver even though it was clearly a fumble and they spent entirely too much time in the replay booth to decide - a direct contradiction of Johnson's statement just a few days earlier that it had to be absolutely clear for this reversal to occur. That terrible call led to a Riders TD shortly thereafter. If the proper call had been made to begin with the game would not have gone to OT. Fortunately, the right team one in the end despite the officiating.
Starter

by BCCFLFAN » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:05 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:No consistency whatsoever with Bombers. Spectacular for 1/2 a quarter - then a full demonstration of 2 & out football for nearly a quarter.

Winning sometimes ugly. Better than a beautiful loss though!

It is Winnipeg's first game. The kinks will be ironed out. CFL needs to play at least 3 to 4 exhibition games for each team, not 2. The rust can really show. Don't like all of the sloppy play in some of the other games. :roll:
Starter

by depopulationINC » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:12 am

The Last Word wrote:lol of course Rider fans felt the games was reffed just fine as they were the beneficiaries of two terrible calls - one a contact on a receiver inside of 5 yards of the line of scrimmage which was clear as day on the replay yet they got it wrong; and the brutal reversal of a fumble call by the receiver even though it was clearly a fumble and they spent entirely too much time in the replay booth to decide - a direct contradiction of Johnson's statement just a few days earlier that it had to be absolutely clear for this reversal to occur. That terrible call led to a Riders TD shortly thereafter. If the proper call had been made to begin with the game would not have gone to OT. Fortunately, the right team one in the end despite the officiating.

The fumble...I thought it was a fumble but I don't for the life of me know how someone could think that was a catch when looking at the replay. Not a snowball's chance in hell that it was. You either never saw the replay, don't understand what makes a a catch a catch, or are full of it for some reason.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:46 pm

depopulationINC wrote:
The Last Word wrote:lol of course Rider fans felt the games was reffed just fine as they were the beneficiaries of two terrible calls - one a contact on a receiver inside of 5 yards of the line of scrimmage which was clear as day on the replay yet they got it wrong; and the brutal reversal of a fumble call by the receiver even though it was clearly a fumble and they spent entirely too much time in the replay booth to decide - a direct contradiction of Johnson's statement just a few days earlier that it had to be absolutely clear for this reversal to occur. That terrible call led to a Riders TD shortly thereafter. If the proper call had been made to begin with the game would not have gone to OT. Fortunately, the right team one in the end despite the officiating.

The fumble...I thought it was a fumble but I don't for the life of me know how someone could think that was a catch when looking at the replay. Not a snowball's chance in hell that it was. You either never saw the replay, don't understand what makes a a catch a catch, or are full of it for some reason.

I thought the evidence in video was not clear enough so as to overturn the ruling on the field, which was much the case for similar plays by Nik Lewis and the prior fumble/non-fumble at the goal line on that TD by the same Bakari Grant.

For the ruling on the field to stand was the correct call for this fumble too much like I thought, and only in retrospect on that prior Grant fumble/non-fumble, the other two were as well.

As you stated on the associated thread, we cover these matters more in for calls that should be reviewed at the end of the season.
All-Star

by brihind88 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Just a physics lesson.

If you rise up and the ball rises up at the same time, you have control.

It was a catch and fumble.

Next, the roughing call late in the game.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

If that is what they call roughing, then we might as well change the name to

CFFL

Canadian Flag Football League.
All-Star

by Dust » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:51 pm

brihind88 wrote:Just a physics lesson.

CFFL

I'll have to go back and watch the fumble again, to me it looked like an obvious fumble on the replay in the stadium. Never did see the replay of the roughing call in question, although Winnipeg got flagged for a few of them so i'll see if I can pick it up again.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:35 am

Dust wrote:
brihind88 wrote:Just a physics lesson.

CFFL

I'll have to go back and watch the fumble again, to me it looked like an obvious fumble on the replay in the stadium. Never did see the replay of the roughing call in question, although Winnipeg got flagged for a few of them so i'll see if I can pick it up again.

Both were awful calls, and both went Saskatchewan's way, such that I was about to scream, "HOME COOKING!" They tarnished the game though did not ruin it, but damn did they come close whether or not Crapigna missed his kick. :thdn: :thdn: :thdn:
All-Star

PreviousNext