Randy's Ambrosie's first task

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by Argofan_1000 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:38 am

Protecting the League Image should of been everyone's goal - now we can't do that, we have to fight to get it back

there are some low cost or no cost suggestions for Randy to raise the profile of the League
- move the D.I. s to the active rosters
- keep the ratio but allow the coaches to play whoever they want
- open up the draft to everyone, Import or National
- setup a signing bonus structure on top of the Cap - this is a low cost option for the league to be able to compete for players - eg. team drafts a top Canadian out of Usports or NCAA or an American and now they have a budget to sign some of them. each team could have 250K or 500K budget to use as they see fit and it would not touch the cap.
- League becomes proficient in producing. TSN is part of the CFL but they can pay more and the League deserves more. Players deserve more. If there is ever a problem league is ready. League produces its own and sells it to ESPN. At 10 cents a month per subscriber would be worth more then the entire TSN contract. At 1 dollar a month over 6 months = $480 million
- Directors want Randy to setup cost control - every expense is recorded from every team and then budgets are set. Fines if you are over? don't know
- League should also have a streaming option ready and an option for radio - just insurance - never be caught off guard.
- Investigate revenue sharing but do it with tickets at a certain threshold. It is so important for the league to protect their image! They do a lousy job of it Maybe this should be the first order of business.
Veteran

by Grover » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:50 am

Robert Raiola, CPA‏ @SportsTaxMan

A look at minimum salaries:

#MLB $535,000 for 2017
#NBA $815,615 17/18 season
#NFL $465,000 for 2017
#NHL $650,000 17/18 season

#CFL $53,000 CND for 2017 = $40K US
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by RichardVeilleux » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:24 am

What's the purpose, Grover? Young children should all hope for the NBA? I don't care what players of other professionals leagues earn. Billions $$$$$$$$$$$$ TV contract. Do you compare your salary to Warren Buffet,Grover?

If you or some persons don't agree/like salaries paid in the CFL. just go and watch other professionals sports. The CFL can't afford to pay much more.That's the reality.

Richard
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:42 am

Grover wrote:Robert Raiola, CPA‏ @SportsTaxMan

#MLB $535,000 for 2017
#NFL $465,000 for 2017

Using NFL as an example...there is over 7 billion in revenue sharing alone. At 60 players per team, that revenue sharing equates to >360k per player. TV money alone, they get something like 250 million to every team annually now. Between that national cash and regional rights most teams are making 300mil or more right there, then the distribution kicks in for lower end revenues.

Point being that the CFL simply does not have the market potential that these other leagues have unless it continues to grow internationally for viewership. Right now I assume that the rights for airing that are essentially being given away to grow the brand. In time one hopes that there is a big enough interest to start getting some actual cash back...perhaps even if it is primarily playoff money. Even a few million would be a big win there....but the CFL won't see a dime of that under the present contract. They wisely gave the rights up to that to TSN who can better market it elsewhere than the league can. If TSN continues that growth the way they are there should be a some extra cash there in the next contract.
All-Star

by Grover » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:58 am

RichardVeilleux wrote:What's the purpose, Grover? Young children should all hope for the NBA? I don't care what players of other professionals leagues earn. Billions $$$$$$$$$$$$ TV contract. Do you compare your salary to Warren Buffet,Grover?

If you or some persons don't agree/like salaries paid in the CFL. just go and watch other professionals sports. The CFL can't afford to pay much more.That's the reality.

Richard

That is your opinion Richard and no I do not compare my income to Warren Buffet
Teams are making profits except maybe the Argos and they have ownership with huge resources.
You say the CFL can't afford to pay a minimum wage of $50K??? yet some teams have their own planes to use now.
It seems teams can afford to pay fired executives hundreds of thousands and then hire new ones at even higher wages. I wonder what kind of exit package Orridge is walking away with??
I certainly know that the CFL cannot compete with minimum wages of the other leagues but they certainly can do better than the minimum wage offered to the players.
The CBA expires after next season and Ambrosies roots as a CFL player and past executive in the CFLPA might mean a better entry level wage for the players
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by Argofan_1000 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:03 pm

Grover wrote:
RichardVeilleux wrote:What's the purpose, Grover? Young children should all hope for the NBA? I don't care what players of other professionals leagues earn. Billions $$$$$$$$$$$$ TV contract. Do you compare your salary to Warren Buffet,Grover?

Richard

Teams are making profits except maybe the Argos and they have ownership with huge resources.
You say the CFL can't afford to pay a minimum wage of $50K??? yet some teams have their own planes to use now.
It seems teams can afford to pay fired executives hundreds of thousands and then hire new ones at even higher wages. I wonder what kind of exit package Orridge is walking away with??
I certainly know that the CFL cannot compete with minimum wages of the other leagues but they certainly can do better than the minimum wage offered to the players.
The CBA expires after next season and Ambrosies roots as a CFL player and past executive in the CFLPA might mean a better entry level wage for the players

An $8 million cap $2.8 M more than now, could line up like this
1 @ 1million
5 @ 500K - NFL minimum
5 @ 200 K - above NFL practice roster
5 @ 150 - NFL practice roster
15@ 100
10 @ $80K
10 practice squad at $55
8M approx
Veteran

by RichardVeilleux » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:26 pm

No CFL teams "own" planes,Grover.Yes, they rent, but I am positive that the net costs are not that much higher than using Air Canada,for instance. By renting a private jet/plane a team has more flexibility; for instance a team can fly home after an away game and save on hotel rooms for a night.

Two more years under the current CBA but I don't foresee a huge increase in TV revenue.

Richard
All-Star

by brianjoxx » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:24 pm

Argofan_1000 wrote:
Grover wrote:

Richard

1 @ 1million
5 @ 500K - NFL minimum
15@ 100
10 @ $80K
10 practice squad at $55
8M approx

$10 million salary cap. Not including Taxi squad or coaches or fired coaches/gm.
You pay them as you please but still hurts your bottom line. A really accounting audit. Zero X Zero still equals Zero. You make dumb deals you still pay. Minimum $50,000 USA $. 24,000 seat stadiums = OUCH. Lesser bigger OUCH!
Big time players only. 5 Canadian and 5 American teams development Players presentation. Big league = BIG bucks. Sky rocketing TV viewers. No need to charge $10 a beer.
However MUST contain 4 Canadian born players all teams. For year 1.

Lets move this forward. New Commis is on board. The best move on!!
Others ?? well square dancing is back big time.???????
Starter

by brianjoxx » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Richard

Richard. I do compare my salary to Warren Buffet's. Every year I check him out or phone him!

If he's a little short this year, I'll chip in to help out. That my friend is our way. Help out.
Cheers Rickie.
Starter

by Dust » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:31 pm

Grover wrote:Robert Raiola, CPA‏ @SportsTaxMan

#MLB $535,000 for 2017
#NFL $465,000 for 2017

#MLB - 162 games - 25 man roster
#NBA - 82 games - 13 man roster
#NHL - 82 games - 23 man roster

Comparing apples to oranges with those sports. You have a season that's vastly longer, and they share the money with less people. Those sports are always going to have an average salary above football (even the NFL).
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:37 pm

brianjoxx wrote:
Argofan_1000 wrote:
Grover wrote:That is your opinion Richard and no I do not compare my income to Warren Buffet

1 @ 1million
5 @ 500K - NFL minimum
15@ 100
10 @ $80K
10 practice squad at $55
8M approx

$10 million salary cap. Not including Taxi squad or coaches or fired coaches/gm.
You pay them as you please but still hurts your bottom line. A really accounting audit. Zero X Zero still equals Zero. You make dumb deals you still pay. Minimum $50,000 USA $. 24,000 seat stadiums = OUCH. Lesser bigger OUCH!
Big time players only. 5 Canadian and 5 American teams development Players presentation. Big league = BIG bucks. Sky rocketing TV viewers. No need to charge $10 a beer.
However MUST contain 4 Canadian born players all teams. For year 1.

Lets move this forward. New Commis is on board. The best move on!!
Others ?? well square dancing is back big time.???????

New commish is on board? nope. He will not be. He was against US expansion because of the ratio implications....he is not likely a guy who is going to push to lower them.

Why do some people think the US is a good idea? So that they can not be legally bound to the same rosters? So that they can have a 25%+ cap advantage atop that? So that they can dictate that the field sizes be drastically changed to meet their needs? 10 buck beer you say...sounds good...but wait...when was the last time you went to a Jays game or some other major city sporting event? You don't go to a game for the cheap concessions. The US wants their domestic football 4 down. Why is there a "need" to have a US team???? Is there some sort of inferiority complex with some that can't accept being smaller? Let's say the US works...Why would you want to see the US swallow the CFL up and have one Canadian team winning every 5 or 6 years?
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:46 pm

Grover wrote:

Richard

Ownership getting returns on investment.....THOSE BASTARDS!!!

This is a 9 team league...every team needs to be making money. It is not a 30 team league where if a team collapses it is the end of the world...that is tragic for a smaller league.

This is a 9 team league that really needs a 10th ideally. You need to show it can be profitable or who is going to invest in that?

I hope he can do something with the base...I preach for it as much as anyone...but the CFL attempted that in the last CBA and it was laughed out of the room by the PA. IMO they have one more good shot at it...and that is this off season. The CFL gave up a lot in practice times to keep the cap raise lower...they needed that lower cap for stability for a few years. The tradeoff is that it hurts the game. Now is the time to go to the PA to open for amendment. Go in asking for that time back and in exchange the cap is increased by a mil or 1.5...the key is that the money gets tiered so that it goes mostly to the base and gets progressively smaller as your salary goes up. Than means it is not going to the 200k+ players because when the cap went up most of it went to those guys. you increase the base to say 80k and do tiers so that you don't see people's salary getting leapfrogged by players lower...every 5k of salary gets a couple % lower of a raise type thing. The PA would look really bad if they rejected more money....it would be hard for them to refuse it.
All-Star

by ed ohmnes » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:23 am

U's' expansion is a non starter, that's one way to ruin the league
Starter

by slimjim2 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:15 am

depopulationINC wrote:
This is a 9 team league...every team needs to be making money. It is not a 30 team league where if a team collapses it is the end of the world...that is tragic for a smaller league.

This is a 9 team league that really needs a 10th ideally. You need to show it can be profitable or who is going to invest in that?

I hope he can do something with the base...I preach for it as much as anyone...but the CFL attempted that in the last CBA and it was laughed out of the room by the PA. IMO they have one more good shot at it...and that is this off season. The CFL gave up a lot in practice times to keep the cap raise lower...they needed that lower cap for stability for a few years. The tradeoff is that it hurts the game. Now is the time to go to the PA to open for amendment. Go in asking for that time back and in exchange the cap is increased by a mil or 1.5...the key is that the money gets tiered so that it goes mostly to the base and gets progressively smaller as your salary goes up. Than means it is not going to the 200k+ players because when the cap went up most of it went to those guys. you increase the base to say 80k and do tiers so that you don't see people's salary getting leapfrogged by players lower...every 5k of salary gets a couple % lower of a raise type thing. The PA would look really bad if they rejected more money....it would be hard for them to refuse it.

The league needs 9 teams to make money not a 10th team. There are at least 3 teams right now losing money.
Raising players salaries will not help attendance or make teams profitable.
It's time to give the owners a raise, not the players.
No doubt the Argos are losing a lot of money, Wettenhall has stated that he is losing "millions", the Lions attendance is down 4k which translates to $3 to $4 MILLION less, Barley probably losing millions too.
OSEG in Ottawa announced that winning the Grey Cup cost them money.

Ambrosie needs to come up with some marketing ideas in Toronto, that's the priority right now. Maybe something similar to what the the Raptors did with Drake, he's a spokesman and kind of a mascot, they attract a lot of young people. The CFL has the oldest fans of all the TV sports except golf, they have to change that image in Toronto.
The alternative is 8 strong teams and no Argos.
All-Star

by Aerial » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:45 am

Richard

Yes Richard. Professional sports is becoming a turnoff to me when I see an owner like MLSE pay one player $100 mill for a 3 season contract, in Lowry, and yet the ticket prices of games are well beyond what lower income families can afford to take their kids to a game. I mean can't MLSE make affordable ticket prices if they can afford to pay one player this amount of money?
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

PreviousNext