Randy's Ambrosie's first task

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by slimjim2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:01 am

Argofan_1000 wrote:
High_Five wrote:Increasing the salary cap as suggested above is just one of the initiatives that would help expand interest in the league.

An $8 million cap $2.8 M more than now, could line up like this
1 @ 1million
5 @ 500K - NFL minimum
5 @ 200 K - above NFL practice roster
5 @ 150 - NFL practice roster
15@ 100
10 @ $80K
10 practice squad at $55
8M approx


move the Cap to $8M - move the 2 D.I.'s to the active roster - keep the ratio but let the coaches decide who should play (no on field ratio) Let the 2 kickers be either Nationals or Internationals and not count towards the ratio. Wouldn't cost the teams too much but the rewards would be bigger in time. Also use the signing bonus to draw players during draft time. Set a time limit so teams and players must decide.

Then you have a starting group on each team that is as close as possible to an NFL team roster without paying $150 M US. If the owners agree then do it.


$8 Million cap and all teams would lose money!! :thdn:

Can you imagine, say the BC Lions that lost 3k to 4k attendance drop. That translates to around $3 MILLION to $4 MILLION lost in ticket sales in a season. Add $4 MILLION to players salaries and they are down $8 MILLION !!!
Ticats and Ottawa that are probably breaking even now losing $4 MILLION ???
Makes no sense
All-Star
 
Posts: 1987
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by brihind88 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:42 am

Word is, he impressed with his speech.

Like all others he should be judged on his actions, not his words.

Positive words are fine, but they need to be backed up.

I wish him well.

If he does a good job, and players, coaches, managers and fans are happy with him, I hope he will be around for the long run.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2443
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by sth1988 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:42 am

brihind88 wrote:Word is, he impressed with his speech.

Like all others he should be judged on his actions, not his words.

Positive words are fine, but they need to be backed up.

I wish him well.

If he does a good job, and players, coaches, managers and fans are happy with him, I hope he will be around for the long run.
Why would any business increase the cost of that business for no reason?
The CFL won't be paying NFL money anytime soon. Players make a living wage playing football. If they get the chance to cash in with NFL money, they will even if they double thier current salary.
As far as getting rid of the Canadian starters....why do you think there are football programs in Canada producing top ranked players? It's because of the ratio. You get rid of the ratio you get rid of football in Canada. If anything, the ratio should increase to 8 Canadian starters.
Our new commissioner knows all of this. Do you think he would have been playing pro without the ratio...not a chance. Not because of lack of talent, but because it's always been easier to look south for players just because there's so many good football players in the US.

Stay the course. I'm sure Toronto has the right ownership, but I'm starting to question the management (president) and his ability to get people in the seats. I'm guessing Copeland is gone at the end of this year and someone, working closely with the commissioners office will get Toronto's attendance fixed.
Rookie
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:40 am

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by Argofan_1000 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:48 pm

sth1988 wrote:
brihind88 wrote:Word is, he impressed with his speech.

Like all others he should be judged on his actions, not his words.

Positive words are fine, but they need to be backed up.

I wish him well.

If he does a good job, and players, coaches, managers and fans are happy with him, I hope he will be around for the long run.
Why would any business increase the cost of that business for no reason?
The CFL won't be paying NFL money anytime soon. Players make a living wage playing football. If they get the chance to cash in with NFL money, they will even if they double thier current salary.
As far as getting rid of the Canadian starters....why do you think there are football programs in Canada producing top ranked players? It's because of the ratio. You get rid of the ratio you get rid of football in Canada. If anything, the ratio should increase to 8 Canadian starters.
Our new commissioner knows all of this. Do you think he would have been playing pro without the ratio...not a chance. Not because of lack of talent, but because it's always been easier to look south for players just because there's so many good football players in the US.

Stay the course. I'm sure Toronto has the right ownership, but I'm starting to question the management (president) and his ability to get people in the seats. I'm guessing Copeland is gone at the end of this year and someone, working closely with the commissioners office will get Toronto's attendance fixed.


didn't say to get rid of the ratio. Said to keep it and to let the coach decide who plays on the field.

CBA comes up next year, how much do you think the PA will demand? my bet is they will be in the 2.5 million range knowing the television deal will follow.
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 am

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by brihind88 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:24 pm

sth1988 wrote:
brihind88 wrote:Word is, he impressed with his speech.

Like all others he should be judged on his actions, not his words.

Positive words are fine, but they need to be backed up.

I wish him well.

If he does a good job, and players, coaches, managers and fans are happy with him, I hope he will be around for the long run.
Why would any business increase the cost of that business for no reason?
The CFL won't be paying NFL money anytime soon. Players make a living wage playing football. If they get the chance to cash in with NFL money, they will even if they double thier current salary.
As far as getting rid of the Canadian starters....why do you think there are football programs in Canada producing top ranked players? It's because of the ratio. You get rid of the ratio you get rid of football in Canada. If anything, the ratio should increase to 8 Canadian starters.
Our new commissioner knows all of this. Do you think he would have been playing pro without the ratio...not a chance. Not because of lack of talent, but because it's always been easier to look south for players just because there's so many good football players in the US.

Stay the course. I'm sure Toronto has the right ownership, but I'm starting to question the management (president) and his ability to get people in the seats. I'm guessing Copeland is gone at the end of this year and someone, working closely with the commissioners office will get Toronto's attendance fixed.


OK, I am somewhat confused by your reply to my statement.

Just does not seen to line up in anyway. You have rhetorical questions that I am missing the point to.

Are you disagreeing ?

I did not hear his speech. I was just stating what was reported on the local sports station.
That his speech was impressive.

Anyone can say things people like to hear, it is the results that count.
All-Star
 
Posts: 2443
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:42 pm

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by drummer_god » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:56 pm

sth1988 wrote: I'm sure Toronto has the right ownership, but I'm starting to question the management (president) and his ability to get people in the seats. I'm guessing Copeland is gone at the end of this year and someone, working closely with the commissioners office will get Toronto's attendance fixed.


I really hope Copeland is gone before that.
Image
User avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 11664
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: London, Ont.

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by Aerial » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:45 pm

Argofan_1000 wrote:
didn't say to get rid of the ratio. Said to keep it and to let the coach decide who plays on the field


I think the key will be for the the commish to involve all the stakeholders and try to iron out some sort of deal or compromise that is suitable in light of the facts that amateur football seems to be on the decline in Canada. I am still one who wants to see that a Canadian draft is important but yes, maybe come game time the coach should have more leeway as to who is playing at any particular time during a game.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2932
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:22 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by yougottabekidding » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:11 pm

Aerial wrote:
Argofan_1000 wrote:
didn't say to get rid of the ratio. Said to keep it and to let the coach decide who plays on the field


I think the key will be for the the commish to involve all the stakeholders and try to iron out some sort of deal or compromise that is suitable in light of the facts that amateur football seems to be on the decline in Canada. I am still one who wants to see that a Canadian draft is important but yes, maybe come game time the coach should have more leeway as to who is playing at any particular time during a game.


I am involved in amateur football and have seen no signs that's it's "in decline". What are you basing this statement on?
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:01 pm
Location: Kits

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by Aerial » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Just what people have been saying around here about high schools dropping football and I think someone mentioned just 12 high schools in Toronto have football programs. In Hamilton see:

Two more Hamilton schools facing football-less future

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/73 ... ss-future/

What I don't know is what impact will this have on the future of the calibre and number of players to be recruited by university and college programs?
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2932
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:22 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by Lyle B. Style » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Well, at least we know why Ambrosie and his predecessor Jethro Orridge refuse to acknowledge the concussion issue.

In a world - FINANCIAL

A few mediocre high schools cutting their football programs won't have much impact on the CFL draft - at least not for the next 10 or 12 years. But as more high schools (maybe the odd college) cut football the impact can't be positive.

Two reasons the schools are cutting football.

1. The minor reason - but the default reason is FINANCIAL. Lack of funds for programs which only cater to 35 to 45 kids.

2. The major reason - INJURIES, brain injuries the biggest concerns. Since the CFL has no backup or insurance program for wounded warriors - parents extracting their kids at rapid rates!
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by slimjim2 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:57 am

Lyle B. Style wrote:Well, at least we know why Ambrosie and his predecessor Jethro Orridge refuse to acknowledge the concussion issue.

In a world - FINANCIAL

A few mediocre high schools cutting their football programs won't have much impact on the CFL draft - at least not for the next 10 or 12 years. But as more high schools (maybe the odd college) cut football the impact can't be positive.

Two reasons the schools are cutting football.

1. The minor reason - but the default reason is FINANCIAL. Lack of funds for programs which only cater to 35 to 45 kids.

2. The major reason - INJURIES, brain injuries the biggest concerns. Since the CFL has no backup or insurance program for wounded warriors - parents extracting their kids at rapid rates!


I agree with your two reasons but that's not the major reason.
The major reason is that kids have a better chance of playing soccer and every high school has a senior and junior soccer team, kids are playing soccer at all ages. Football has become a minor sport in a lot of regions.
Last edited by slimjim2 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star
 
Posts: 1987
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by Argofan_1000 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:53 am

Aerial wrote:Just what people have been saying around here about high schools dropping football and I think someone mentioned just 12 high schools in Toronto have football programs. In Hamilton see:

Two more Hamilton schools facing football-less future

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/73 ... ss-future/

What I don't know is what impact will this have on the future of the calibre and number of players to be recruited by university and college programs?


Article says they are dropping the program because the head coaches are retiring. Not for any other reason. I am sure they can find someone to step up.


The latest on concussions in youth sports are by sport 1) hockey 2) soccer
http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/health-hea ... -1.1216150
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 am

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by Lyle B. Style » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:06 am

Argofan_1000 wrote:
Aerial wrote:Just what people have been saying around here about high schools dropping football and I think someone mentioned just 12 high schools in Toronto have football programs. In Hamilton see:

Two more Hamilton schools facing football-less future

https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/73 ... ss-future/

What I don't know is what impact will this have on the future of the calibre and number of players to be recruited by university and college programs?


Article says they are dropping the program because the head coaches are retiring. Not for any other reason. I am sure they can find someone to step up.


The latest on concussions in youth sports are by sport 1) hockey 2) soccer
http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/health-hea ... -1.1216150


Anecdotal evidence but I believe there's more concussions in hockey & soccer - mainly due to vastly higher participation rates. But pro hockey (NHL level) pays $850,000 to $12.5 million year - and some players can extend themselves for 10 to 15 yr careers (or more).
Soccer also has far more kids playing from 4 to 8 yrs old - and without protective gear these kids are always in position for collisions. The sheer violence of a football hit - is unparalleled compared to most hockey hits - and the vast majority of accidental hits in soccer.
In football guys are trained to take other guys heads off (regardless of the politeness of various league administrators). Hockey has most collisions happen when two guys collide at full speed - or more likely a guy is rammed to the boards from behind.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by yougottabekidding » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:49 am

slimjim2 wrote:
Lyle B. Style wrote:Well, at least we know why Ambrosie and his predecessor Jethro Orridge refuse to acknowledge the concussion issue.

In a world - FINANCIAL

A few mediocre high schools cutting their football programs won't have much impact on the CFL draft - at least not for the next 10 or 12 years. But as more high schools (maybe the odd college) cut football the impact can't be positive.

Two reasons the schools are cutting football.

1. The minor reason - but the default reason is FINANCIAL. Lack of funds for programs which only cater to 35 to 45 kids.

2. The major reason - INJURIES, brain injuries the biggest concerns. Since the CFL has no backup or insurance program for wounded warriors - parents extracting their kids at rapid rates!


I agree with your two reasons but that's not the major reason.
The major reason is that kids have a better chance of playing soccer and every high school has a senior and junior soccer team, kids are playing soccer at all ages. Football has become a minor sport in a lot of regions.


"Football has become a minor sport in a lot of regions...."

Well, the number of participants in tackle football vs. hockey or soccer has always been considerably less given culture and costs but if you're suggesting there is a major decline in amateur "gridiron" in Canada...that's just not happening.

I'm trying to lay my hands on some registration #'s from Football Canada to support my posts but here's what I do know from first hand experience as an amateur official. CIS and Junior football have never been stronger. So, in terms of this part of the thread where concerns were expressed about the future supply of CFL prospects, relax...I see an ample supply of young Canadian players at CFL camps for years to come and they're arriving better prepared every year as CIS programs continue to improve.

Of note also is the growing participation/support (read $$) of CIS alumni in the programs they once played in. UBC recently suggested they were looking to cut some athletic programs due to budget and if nothing else, it rallied the football alumni to organize, fundraise and not only maintain football at the CIS level, but also grow it. The most prominent alum in BC is a guy named David Sidoo, a successful business guy who has not only personally donated to the program but led some very successful efforts to finance all levels of footall in BC. On a personal level, I can tell you that as a Bison alum I've written more than a few cheques to our alum assn over the years I haven't lived in the 'peg in a quarter century.

As far as high school is concerned there is certainly evidence that some schools in Ontario are shutting down but out west I can tell you that no such thing is happening. I speak/work with officials from BC/AB/SK & MB all the time and they can't keep up with the amount of HS ball. For example, when I played HS ball in Winnipeg years ago, there were 10 teams. Total. There are now 38 teams in the WHSFL including Jr. Varsity divisions and teams from Brandon and N. Ont but even if you take the out of town teams out that's triple the number of HS teams from 25 years ago.

As far as I know minor ball is healthy and alive all across the country so in terms of the future and the supply of qualified Canadian men (and women) to play the CFL game going forwards looks bright to me.
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:01 pm
Location: Kits

Re: Randy's Ambrosie's first task

by Argofan_1000 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Aqualung1 wrote:Make winning the national championship of football in Canada more of a source of pride than it currently is. In Canada the Stanley Cup is the holy Grail for Canadians and the Grey Cup needs to be thought of in a similar light.

Focusing on the Canadian championship would also help dilute the constant NFL comparisons, since they are ineligible.


At the WBB game Randy Ambrosie discussed the CFL as Bigger, Faster, Stronger. Found the Toronto Sun Article so I have attached it, don't know if it found its way in the rest of Canada. Quoting Donald Trump the business man "go big or go home" He says he didn't accept the job to tread water - good

Making the CFL owners rich is the medicine the league needs. If they can get there then there is NO more "picking on the CFL" as the league won't care what Rogers says. They are $10M per team away from this I Think.

If I am a reporter - next question to Randy is what do you mean by Bigger, Faster, Stronger. Couldn't one of you reporters ask this?

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/07/13/ne ... read-water
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:38 am

PreviousNext

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 57 guests