Attendance vs TV

Re: Attendance vs TV

by KevinRiley2 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:52 pm

brianjoxx wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:TV ratings are good but the most important thing for CFL teams is ATTENDANCE
If 100k or 1 million watch, it doesn't make one bit of difference to the CFL bottom line.
TV numbers are meaningless if only 12k show up in Toronto on Sunday or 21k in BC
A sell out in Ottawa tonight, that is the most important number. Fans willing to go out to a game and pay an average of $80 and $11 for beers.


Good post Jim !!!!!!!!!!!!
However Average Price of $80 is too high at at stadium build for 35,000. I have no problem paying $50 as I have Money. BUT the young people need tickets around $20 today, which would include a drink and hotdog. West teams realized this years ago and still do it today.
5000 x 20 = future fans.

Now I'm not the best marketing person around. But $11 a beer that's plain STUPID.
Like I said before, gougers normally fail. Again.

Good point, Brian.

The problem is, CFL teams use to give tickets away and attendance was weak. Then they discovered that if they charged a decent price for tickets, they still got the same number of people. So they started to charge more.

To me, the prices they charge at BMO seem expensive.

I will attend 3 Ticat games this year and, with concessions, likely spend $300. I can live with that.

Teams like the Argos need to use the resources of BCE to increase the ticket sales. Posters have made suggestions in the past, and sent them to the Argos, but I haven't seen any of them implemented. It's a shame because they would be inexpensive and could work.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8763
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Attendance vs TV

by brianjoxx » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:53 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
brianjoxx wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:TV ratings are good but the most important thing for CFL teams is ATTENDANCE
If 100k or 1 million watch, it doesn't make one bit of difference to the CFL bottom line.
TV numbers are meaningless if only 12k show up in Toronto on Sunday or 21k in BC
A sell out in Ottawa tonight, that is the most important number. Fans willing to go out to a game and pay an average of $80 and $11 for beers.


Good post Jim !!!!!!!!!!!!
However Average Price of $80 is too high at at stadium build for 35,000. I have no problem paying $50 as I have Money. BUT the young people need tickets around $20 today, which would include a drink and hotdog. West teams realized this years ago and still do it today.
5000 x 20 = future fans.

Now I'm not the best marketing person around. But $11 a beer that's plain STUPID.
Like I said before, gougers normally fail. Again.

Good point, Brian.



The problem is, CFL teams use to give tickets away and attendance was weak. Then they discovered that if they charged a decent price for tickets, they still got the same number of people. So they started to charge more.

To me, the prices they charge at BMO seem expensive.

I will attend 3 Ticat games this year and, with concessions, likely spend $300. I can live with that.

Teams like the Argos need to use the resources of BCE to increase the ticket sales. Posters have made suggestions in the past, and sent them to the Argos, but I haven't seen any of them implemented. It's a shame because they would be inexpensive and could

Well said! Me Need TO as a leader for sure!! Good team this year and more!!
Starter
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:39 am
Location: vernon,bc

Re: Attendance vs TV

by The Last Word » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:00 pm

Watching the last quarter on TV, the crowd in BC sure didn't look to be 19,000. Looked more like 13,000 - half full lower bowl. Perhaps some or several no-shows?
Starter
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Attendance vs TV

by Eskimosrock » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:27 pm

I've been saying this for the past 3 years since they've been doing this. BC Place is a joke. Taking away the upper deck was ridiculous, I believe they averaged around 30,000 with it being open. What they should do is open up the upper deck between the 20's and use those stupid looking shades outside of that. I hear all the time the ticket prices are too high there and no one wants endzone seats.

I swear to god it seems people with marketing degrees are mentally deficient in every sense. You want new fans? GIVE THEM GOOD SEATS TO ENJOY A GAME! Upper deck, $20-25 a seat. They lost 10,000 fans in attendance i'd bet on average since the first 2 years after the renovation, along with closing the upper deck. BC is an embarrassment with how they've handled their fans and renovated stadium.
The Green and Gold is bold.
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Attendance vs TV

by RedandWhite » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:33 pm

...this is only a theory but I bet it has something to do with not just opening up the upper seats for sale, but the revenue generated (or lack thereof) by then having to open up and staff the upper deck concessions and public facilities...ie - the ROR on just opening the lower deck facilities vs. the ticket income on that level is better than your scenario...just speculation of course...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff
 
Posts: 15132
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:34 am
Location: Calgary

Re: Attendance vs TV

by KevinRiley2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Eskimosrock wrote:I've been saying this for the past 3 years since they've been doing this. BC Place is a joke. Taking away the upper deck was ridiculous, I believe they averaged around 30,000 with it being open. What they should do is open up the upper deck between the 20's and use those stupid looking shades outside of that. I hear all the time the ticket prices are too high there and no one wants endzone seats.

I swear to god it seems people with marketing degrees are mentally deficient in every sense. You want new fans? GIVE THEM GOOD SEATS TO ENJOY A GAME! Upper deck, $20-25 a seat. They lost 10,000 fans in attendance i'd bet on average since the first 2 years after the renovation, along with closing the upper deck. BC is an embarrassment with how they've handled their fans and renovated stadium.

Well said.

RedandWhite wrote:...this is only a theory but I bet it has something to do with not just opening up the upper seats for sale, but the revenue generated (or lack thereof) by then having to open up and staff the upper deck concessions and public facilities...ie - the ROR on just opening the lower deck facilities vs. the ticket income on that level is better than your scenario...just speculation of course...

You make a good point.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8763
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Attendance vs TV

by RedandWhite » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:50 pm

...it's only an opinion based on business acumen, I just don't think it's as simple as this:

Eskimosrock wrote:GIVE THEM GOOD SEATS TO ENJOY A GAME!


...if it were, then let's get everyone laz-y-boys and free nachos...somewhere behind the scenes is an Accountant who reports to a Controller who answers to a CFO, I think you get my point...I can't imagine the scenario in BC Place is what it is because of a spaced out marketing person with a degree in interior decorating....
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff
 
Posts: 15132
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:34 am
Location: Calgary

Re: Attendance vs TV

by rhymes with orange » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:51 pm

Eskimosrock wrote:I've been saying this for the past 3 years since they've been doing this. BC Place is a joke. Taking away the upper deck was ridiculous, I believe they averaged around 30,000 with it being open. What they should do is open up the upper deck between the 20's and use those stupid looking shades outside of that. I hear all the time the ticket prices are too high there and no one wants endzone seats.

I swear to god it seems people with marketing degrees are mentally deficient in every sense. You want new fans? GIVE THEM GOOD SEATS TO ENJOY A GAME! Upper deck, $20-25 a seat. They lost 10,000 fans in attendance i'd bet on average since the first 2 years after the renovation, along with closing the upper deck. BC is an embarrassment with how they've handled their fans and renovated stadium.


First, I am the LAST guy to want to make excuses on behalf of fans (who, frankly, are filled with 'em).....BUT it was a scorcher here on Saturday. Warmest day of the year. The PERCEPTION of BC Place is that it is still an indoor stadium. Sure, the doughnut hole in the top helps, but make no mistake, it's not like old Empire Stadium with fresh breezes and mountain views. Plus, Wally keeps wanting the roof closed to give the team more 'home field advantage.' Well, whatever gains he thinks he's making with noise is mitigated by fewer people cheering!

Eskimosrock, I have been saying what you're saying for years. Football is not like hockey with its continuous up-and-down flow. If you have end-zone seats and the play is down the other end, you're screwed. SOME end-zone seats at a stadium are okay, but bowls are certainly not ideal configurations (unless you're the Big House in Michigan). The Lions need to reconfigure BC Place to let people sit at mid-field. They did lose a lot of fans when they sealed off the Upper Bowl. Close off one of the end-zones to a horseshoe shape. But here it's a case of "same-old, same-old." No new, fresh, out-of-the-box thinking. :(
Proud B.C. Lions season ticket holder since 1995.
Image
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1096
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:27 am

Re: Attendance vs TV

by RedandWhite » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:57 pm

...too many complaints, look at this AFL Stadium down under in comparison

Image

...the dude with the bald head is in a different postal code than his counterpart way over yonder...and that's the short distance across the field....
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff
 
Posts: 15132
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:34 am
Location: Calgary

Re: Attendance vs TV

by The Last Word » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:33 pm

The two best teams in the league last season facing off in a rematch of a Grey Cup rematch. Exciting back and forth game with plenty of offense. How many show up? Barely over 24,000. Disappointing to say the least. This is probably the worst crowd the Stamps have seen in over a decade. Unfortunately, the same appears to be happening north of Calgary as well.
Starter
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:29 pm

Re: Attendance vs TV

by jonny24eh » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:22 am

RedandWhite wrote:...too many complaints, look at this AFL Stadium down under in comparison

Image

...the dude with the bald head is in a different postal code than his counterpart way over yonder...and that's the short distance across the field....


Not quite the same... with no offsides or line of scrimmage, in Aussie rules the play moves all over the field, which makes it easier to watch from any angle. And being on a round field helps with that.

And if we packed out our games like they do, some people would be happy they managed to get an end zone seat.
The poster formerly known as jonny24.

Eat'em raw!
User avatar
Starter
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:12 pm

Re: 2017 CFL TV Ratings

by slimjim2 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:02 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:When the Jays ratings are down 50%+ in September, I want Patrick and Jim to sound the alarm!!!


What do the "other" sports have to do with CFL ratings? I couldn't care less if the Jays get 1 million September or 500k. Why should we as CFL fans?
I will may sound the alarm if CFL ratings are down 50% !!! but does it really matter?

I've said it before whether 2 million watch CFL games or 200k, teams will not get one penny more.
If teams only get $4.2 million each from TV revenue but $14 MILLION from ticket revenue, we have to worry about attendance.
I would really sound the alarm if attendance is down in September.
The most important thing is ATTENDANCE, that's what we should talk about

But getting back to the original comment about 3 Down nation not mentioning the fact that overall ratings for the Home Opener was up from last year because of RDS.
The only problem is how can you compare the RDS opening night game to last year when last year the Als weren't playing and the game was not on RDS????????????? :? :? :? :oops:
You can only compare the TSN ratings, and they were down. All CFL games in the opening week were down.
All-Star
 
Posts: 1987
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: 2017 CFL TV Ratings

by jonny24eh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:41 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
I've said it before whether 2 million watch CFL games or 200k, teams will not get one penny more.
If teams only get $4.2 million each from TV revenue but $14 MILLION from ticket revenue, we have to worry about attendance.
I would really sound the alarm if attendance is down in September.
The most important thing is ATTENDANCE, that's what we should talk about


I've seen you say this multiple times. How can you not see that it WILL matter come contract negotiation time?
The poster formerly known as jonny24.

Eat'em raw!
User avatar
Starter
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:12 pm

Re: 2017 CFL TV Ratings

by KevinRiley2 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:01 pm

jonny24eh wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:
I've said it before whether 2 million watch CFL games or 200k, teams will not get one penny more.
If teams only get $4.2 million each from TV revenue but $14 MILLION from ticket revenue, we have to worry about attendance.
I would really sound the alarm if attendance is down in September.
The most important thing is ATTENDANCE, that's what we should talk about


I've seen you say this multiple times. How can you not see that it WILL matter come contract negotiation time?

He wants to make sure you read it. :)
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8763
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: 2017 CFL TV Ratings

by slimjim2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:04 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:
jonny24eh wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:
I've said it before whether 2 million watch CFL games or 200k, teams will not get one penny more.
If teams only get $4.2 million each from TV revenue but $14 MILLION from ticket revenue, we have to worry about attendance.
I would really sound the alarm if attendance is down in September.
The most important thing is ATTENDANCE, that's what we should talk about


I've seen you say this multiple times. How can you not see that it WILL matter come contract negotiation time?

He wants to make sure you read it. :)


Opening week last year - Ticats @ Argos - 24,000 in attendance, 621,000 TV ratings
Opening week this year - Ticats @ Argos - 13,000 in attendance, 420,00 TV ratings
You can't spin this or make excuses.
Attendance still the number ONE priority, the Argos will lose millions with the droop in attendance.
The 200,000 drop in TV viewers won't make one bit of difference
All-Star
 
Posts: 1987
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

PreviousNext

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests