Replays that should be evaluated at end of season

Re: Replays that should be evaluated at end of season

by dcmoses » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:36 pm

brianjoxx wrote:The big plays are reviewed and MUST show conclusive proof of an over turn decision. I totally trust control center as great people with huge experience.
Referee's game calls are very fast like NHL. Decision are made from a difficult view in 1/4 second.
I trust them all. :rockin: :rockin: Who can do better!!!!!!


On field crews are, so far, doing a decent job this season, but video review has done far more harm than good. Video review with slo mo, still frame, multiple looks and angle should be right 99% of the time; they are even close to 50-50.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5002
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Replays that should be evaluated at end of season

by Aerial » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:37 am

You really need a translation? OK Captain Ambiguous, why support a league that's deliberately killing the game. Video review is slowly killing the entertainment value of the CFL. It's the reason I don't watch every game anymore and the reason I rarely record games when I'm not home to watch.

Been a fan for over 40 years and have only missed watching 1 Grey Cup, last years. Purposely. And I'm seeing a slight improvement in play and on field officiating, but a huge drop in the quality of video review. Not making me want to come back when there are other sports to watch.


To each his own dcmoses. I don't find the video review detracting at all from my enjoyment of the games as I need washroom breaks and stretching etc. Sort of like between innings of a baseball game, lots of stoppages of play with these half inning breaks but it's not video review so I guess that doesn't count. If you want to find an excuse not to like something, it's usually very easy to find an excuse. :D
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:22 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON

Re: Replays that should be evaluated at end of season

by brianjoxx » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:34 am

Aerial wrote:
You really need a translation? OK Captain Ambiguous, why support a league that's deliberately killing the game. Video review is slowly killing the entertainment value of the CFL. It's the reason I don't watch every game anymore and the reason I rarely record games when I'm not home to watch.

Been a fan for over 40 years and have only missed watching 1 Grey Cup, last years. Purposely. And I'm seeing a slight improvement in play and on field officiating, but a huge drop in the quality of video review. Not making me want to come back when there are other sports to watch.


To each his own dcmoses. I don't find the video review detracting at all from my enjoyment of the games as I need washroom breaks and stretching etc. Sort of like between innings of a baseball game, lots of stoppages of play with these half inning breaks but it's not video review so I guess that doesn't count. If you want to find an excuse not to like something, it's usually very easy to find an excuse. :D



Well said. I'd say they are closer to 70%. other 20% they CAN"T over turn. 10% ?????
Starter
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:39 am
Location: vernon,bc

Re: Replays that should be evaluated at end of season

by dcmoses » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:37 pm

brianjoxx wrote:
Aerial wrote:
You really need a translation? OK Captain Ambiguous, why support a league that's deliberately killing the game. Video review is slowly killing the entertainment value of the CFL. It's the reason I don't watch every game anymore and the reason I rarely record games when I'm not home to watch.

Been a fan for over 40 years and have only missed watching 1 Grey Cup, last years. Purposely. And I'm seeing a slight improvement in play and on field officiating, but a huge drop in the quality of video review. Not making me want to come back when there are other sports to watch.


To each his own dcmoses. I don't find the video review detracting at all from my enjoyment of the games as I need washroom breaks and stretching etc. Sort of like between innings of a baseball game, lots of stoppages of play with these half inning breaks but it's not video review so I guess that doesn't count. If you want to find an excuse not to like something, it's usually very easy to find an excuse. :D



Well said. I'd say they are closer to 70%. other 20% they CAN"T over turn. 10% ?????


I'm counting the inconclusive as correct calls. Just because the video is not conclusive enough to overturn/support the call on the field doesn't make it wrong. If the video does not conclusively show what happened then inconclusive is the correct call. We rarely know this though because it is never reported. I think they should have to report whether the call was supported, overturned or video inconclusive after the review.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5002
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Replays that should be evaluated at end of season

by dcmoses » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Aerial wrote:
You really need a translation? OK Captain Ambiguous, why support a league that's deliberately killing the game. Video review is slowly killing the entertainment value of the CFL. It's the reason I don't watch every game anymore and the reason I rarely record games when I'm not home to watch.

Been a fan for over 40 years and have only missed watching 1 Grey Cup, last years. Purposely. And I'm seeing a slight improvement in play and on field officiating, but a huge drop in the quality of video review. Not making me want to come back when there are other sports to watch.


To each his own dcmoses. I don't find the video review detracting at all from my enjoyment of the games as I need washroom breaks and stretching etc. Sort of like between innings of a baseball game, lots of stoppages of play with these half inning breaks but it's not video review so I guess that doesn't count. If you want to find an excuse not to like something, it's usually very easy to find an excuse. :D


I don't watch baseball and that's one of the reasons; game is too slow and dull for me. I watch hockey, rugby, Aussie rules, lacrosse and CFL. CFL is starting to get to be a frustrating watch for me, especially this season where we have had a better start (in quality of games) than we've had in a long time but it's being ruined by a blind moron in a video control room.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5002
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Replays that should be evaluated at end of season

by Aerial » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Look, lets' give the video review the benefit of the doubt, they are working to speed it up which I agree is simply a good thing but it will take some more thought and tinkering.

But that said, is video review something not needed at all in any pro sport presentation? I think that is an excellent question. Of course the CFL has to sort of follow along in some manner with what the NFL does, basically same sport, for fear it will look mickey mouse if it doesn't, for no other reason. Not what's right or what's best but sort of a need to be in the NFL's shoes so to speak to "belong".
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:22 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON

Re: Replays that should be evaluated at end of season

by dcmoses » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Aerial wrote:Look, lets' give the video review the benefit of the doubt, they are working to speed it up which I agree is simply a good thing but it will take some more thought and tinkering.

But that said, is video review something not needed at all in any pro sport presentation? I think that is an excellent question. Of course the CFL has to sort of follow along in some manner with what the NFL does, basically same sport, for fear it will look mickey mouse if it doesn't, for no other reason. Not what's right or what's best but sort of a need to be in the NFL's shoes so to speak to "belong".


I think it's more a need to be contemporary. MLB, NFL, NHL, NLL and even some NCAA sports have video review (not an NBA fan so don't know about them) so it would be more than a little ridiculous for the CFL to be the only league to say no to technology.

I agree it is a good thing when the call is black and white and it corrects a call missed ( on field officials are human and will miss calls that they must make at full speed with only one look), but the CFL and some other league have started to take it into territories it should never have gone; reviewing a judgement call by an on field official. PI, RTP, Illegal Contact on a Receiver should not be reviewable and these are the calls that take the most time and are most often challenged when a coach wants to go fishing for a call.

Scale back to calls that are black and white (was it a score, in/out of bounds, legal catch and fumbles) and either remove the coaches challenge or stop the automatic review of scoring plays. That's why coaches go fishing, the league reviews scoring plays so they don't have to waste a challenge there allowing them to save them as extra long timeouts. Automatic review or coaches challenge, one or the other but not both. Last, fire the idiot currently reviewing for the league because he is blind, stupid or both.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 5002
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:22 pm

Re: Replays that should be evaluated at end of season

by Aerial » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:35 pm

I have to agree scaling back as you say might be the way to proceed.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2917
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:22 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON

Previous

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 46 guests