Replays that should be evaluated at end of season

Re: Replays that should be evaluated at end of season

by Paolo X » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:16 pm

Aerial wrote:
Last night O'shea threw the challenge flag in OT, it was a desperation move hoping that the command centre can look at every player on the field and decide if there was a penalty somewhere.

If that's how review is being used, then no question that is a big problem. Bordering on scrapping altogether if they can't figure out a way to eliminate this type of BS.

If they only stuck to their own guidelines and only overturned calls on the field for which there is 100% completely indisputable evidence, which means especially that when a call could go either way because it is so close that the ruling on the field stands, we would not have to continue this damn debate every season since perhaps 2014. :roll:
All-Star

by Grover » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:21 pm

And last night Chris Jones threw a challenge flag challenging roughing the passer in OT on a running play by QB Kevin Glenn. Go figure, RTP when he has ran 5 yards past the line of scrimmage :? :? :?

All it did was ice his own kicker, having to wait for the ruling. :roll:
Last edited by Grover on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:47 pm

...I think what CJ was looking for was contacting the head, that Glenn received helmet to helmet contact...not sure who his spotter was because the bomber tackler missed Glenn's head by about a foot...dumb challenge in the end...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by The Last Word » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:01 pm

Forget Orridge. Glen Johnson is the worst thing to happen to the CFL in a long time. Just a terrible representative for the league. He is incapable of getting his own review officials to follow his own guidelines with regards to what justifies on overturned call on the field. The man is simply an incompetent leader.
Starter

by dcmoses » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Grover wrote:
Paolo X wrote:Wk 2 Wpg @ Sask - 4Q review to overturn ruling of fumble on the field by Bakari Grant with recovery by Winnipeg

How in the world was that evidence conclusive so as to overturn the call on the field? I think based on the evidence the call could have gone either way, but in such cases the ruling on the field stands!

That is exactly what the League has stated on "overturning close calls"

Here’s what Lalji told CFL on TSN host Rod Smith.(from the Al's Rider game last week)

“There’s a lot of disappointment and head shaking at those two calls, especially last night. The league’s position is that the rules haven’t changed but the standard has. They want replay to be just about egregious calls that have been missed, they don’t want grey area. So if it takes two-and-a-half to three minutes to make sure the call gets exactly right, that means that call was too close to overturn.

“I spoke to Glen Johnson and he just said ‘those were not egregious calls. In the minute, minute-and-a-half we want to take to make these decisions in an effort to speed up replay, not slow down the pace of the game, those calls did not meet the standard for obvious, egregious mistakes and we’re just not going to overturn those types of calls. That’s going to be something people around the league are going to have to get used to.'”

http://3downnation.com/2017/06/25/cfl-r ... -get-used/

:? :? :? :? :? :?

...but they aren't sticking to 90 second reviews. Some have dragged on for close to 3 minutes so once again the league is blowing sunshine up the collective butts of the fans and people are buying it.

If you actually believe that garbage they fed Lalji I have some ocean front property in Saskatchewan just for you.

All-Star

by Aerial » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:02 pm

RedandWhite wrote:...I think what CJ was looking for was contacting the head, that Glenn received helmet to helmet contact...not sure who his spotter was because the bomber tackler missed Glenn's head by about a foot...dumb challenge in the end...

Yup!

The league needs to make a rule that no review lasts longer than x number of seconds, after that it's the on-field call. And I'd say 45 seconds.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by dcmoses » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:35 pm

RedandWhite wrote:...I think what CJ was looking for was contacting the head, that Glenn received helmet to helmet contact...not sure who his spotter was because the bomber tackler missed Glenn's head by about a foot...dumb challenge in the end...

Didn't he challenge RTP? And that can only be called when the QB is behind the LoS. Or am I missing something on this challenge.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Aerial wrote:

Yup!

The league needs to make a rule that no review lasts longer than x number of seconds, after that it's the on-field call. And I'd say 45 seconds.

He was fishing. It was a stupid challenge but he said F it and just did it...because why not...coaches go fishing on this garbage a fair bit. Not saying that is good...but it is the way things have evolved
All-Star

by Abendschan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:33 pm

dcmoses wrote:

Didn't he challenge RTP? And that can only be called when the QB is behind the LoS. Or am I missing something on this challenge.

The guys calling the play by play mentioned the same thing that RedandWhite posted, as I was listening and heard it said as well.
Saskatchewan Roughriders - Rider Nation
Los Angeles Rams - Ram Nation in LA
Starter

by Aerial » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:57 pm

You never give up as a coach and you have a mandate to use the rules as you best can to help your team to win. Them's the rules of a coach I'd say. We're not talking golf here, a gentleman's game where you are supposed to tell everyone you should be penalized. Not that way most other sports work.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by Paolo X » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:13 pm

Aerial wrote:You never give up as a coach and you have a mandate to use the rules as you best can to help your team to win. Them's the rules of a coach I'd say. We're not talking golf here, a gentleman's game where you are supposed to tell everyone you should be penalized. Not that way most other sports work.

Right on - we don't blame rightfully the coach or players for playing by the rules when the rules come up short or with adverse consequences. We blame those who made the rules and apparently overlooked the unintended consequences. The onus is on those who make the rules to make changes now and not necessarily to wait until after the season.

I for one am far from the only fan who does not want to see extended reviews every 4th quarter so as to overturn key calls given video evidence that is not 100% indisputable so as to overturn the call on the field. :?

And I don't think the CFL can afford more poor and inconsistent officiating such as in that 4th quarter of that game in Regina if it wants to grow its fan base.
All-Star

by dcmoses » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:35 pm

Paolo X wrote:
Aerial wrote:You never give up as a coach and you have a mandate to use the rules as you best can to help your team to win. Them's the rules of a coach I'd say. We're not talking golf here, a gentleman's game where you are supposed to tell everyone you should be penalized. Not that way most other sports work.

Right on - we don't blame rightfully the coach or players for playing by the rules when the rules come up short or with adverse consequences. We blame those who made the rules and apparently overlooked the unintended consequences. The onus is on those who make the rules to make changes now and not necessarily to wait until after the season.

I for one am far from the only fan who does not want to see extended reviews every 4th quarter so as to overturn key calls given video evidence that is not 100% indisputable so as to overturn the call on the field. :?

And I don't think the CFL can afford more poor and inconsistent officiating such as in that 4th quarter of that game in Regina if it wants to grow its fan base.

Agreed. Jones challenge for a RTP on a QB running the ball well past the LoS was moronic and does nothing but harm the game, however, that's not Jones fault. You do everything you can within the rules (and often try outside the rules without getting caught) to get the win. This is squarely on the league. They knew this was a problem last season when they paid lip service to the problem mid season. The fact they've done nothing to curtail this type of challenge means they don't care. I don't know why, but clearly they don't care that coaches are fishing or that video review is harming the game. As long as the lemmings keep buying tickets who cares.

Maybe Toronto fans lack of interest is the smarter move than Ottawa and Saskatchewan where they blindly throw their money away on a product that gets worse every season with no effort from the league to make any positive changes.
All-Star

by brianjoxx » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:50 pm

depopulationINC wrote:Hoping we can keep the derailment out of this and thought it might just be an interesting idea to keep a running list of the questionable replays that need to be evaluated at as a group at the end of the season.

WK 01 - SK @ MON - B. Grant TD that was upheld on potential fumble
WK 01 - SK @ MON - Nik Lewis fumble where no clear arm to ground view was upheld
WK 01 - CGY @ OTT - Jordan catch and being ruled down before fumble being upheld

Most evaluations would not be those plays listed above or big plays that will continue to hurt you/teams.

Week 1/2 had a lot of small pass interference/ holding calls or late hits on QB very questionable. Note : I love to see the QB creamed. Especially the high priced ones.
These make the real game. The big plays are reviewed and MUST show conclusive proof of an over turn decision. I totally trust control center as great people with huge experience.
Referee's game calls are very fast like NHL. Decision are made from a difficult view in 1/4 second.
I trust them all. :rockin: :rockin: Who can do better!!!!!!
Starter

by Aerial » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:00 pm

dcmoses wrote:
Maybe Toronto fans lack of interest is the smarter move than Ottawa and Saskatchewan where they blindly throw their money away on a product that gets worse every season with no effort from the league to make any positive changes.

Translation - you're jealous of the support that teams like Ottawa and Saskatchewan receive. :wink:
All-Star

by dcmoses » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:33 pm

Aerial wrote:
dcmoses wrote:

Translation - you're jealous of the support that teams like Ottawa and Saskatchewan receive. :wink:

You really need a translation? OK Captain Ambiguous, why support a league that's deliberately killing the game. Video review is slowly killing the entertainment value of the CFL. It's the reason I don't watch every game anymore and the reason I rarely record games when I'm not home to watch.

Been a fan for over 40 years and have only missed watching 1 Grey Cup, last years. Purposely. And I'm seeing a slight improvement in play and on field officiating, but a huge drop in the quality of video review. Not making me want to come back when there are other sports to watch.
All-Star

PreviousNext