Als get a private jet

Als get a private jet

by ro1313 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:36 am

Hall of Famer

Re: Als get a private jet

by slimjim2 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:09 am

ro1313 wrote:http://en.montrealalouettes.com/2017/05/18/nolinor-aviation-teams-alouettes/

That's great, other teams do it too. Ottawa uses Canada North not sure about the Ticats and Argos.
It's cheaper than booking 50 plus players/coaches on regular scheduled flights.
Last edited by slimjim2 on Fri May 19, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by jamie » Fri May 19, 2017 8:16 am

I thought all teams used private charters when flying. I can't imagine teams relying on booking on commercial flying for this many bodies. Perhaps this is more customised?
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Fri May 19, 2017 8:28 am

According to the article. The Als are the only team that are using a private charter.

The Alouettes become the first team in the CFL to have it’s own plane, as the same Boeing 737-300 airplane will be specially configured to accommodate the entire team, as well as all the necessary equipment for the team’s road games.

Other teams must be using commercial and from my background in group travel that have compared charter and commercial, there is no way a private charter is less than 50 pax flying commercial. A cross continental charter on a 737 will be 6 figures easily and that's before taxes, fuel surcharges etc...
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:56 am

Mightygoose wrote:According to the article. The Als are the only team that are using a private charter.

The Alouettes become the first team in the CFL to have it’s own plane, as the same Boeing 737-300 airplane will be specially configured to accommodate the entire team, as well as all the necessary equipment for the team’s road games.

Other teams must be using commercial and from my background in group travel that have compared charter and commercial, there is no way a private charter is less than 50 pax flying commercial. A cross continental charter on a 737 will be 6 figures easily and that's before taxes, fuel surcharges etc...

Articles can be wrong. I'm sure that Ottawa uses charter aircraft too, they were using Canada North last year.
But probably not a full time dedicated aircraft for the team.
Last edited by slimjim2 on Fri May 19, 2017 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Fri May 19, 2017 9:07 am

Team explained that the deal with Nolitour will basically give the team the same aircraft for the entire contract. That it will carry the team's colours and logos and the interior layout will be configured specifically for the team.

That's how it stands out according to the team.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley2 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:02 am

Well done. Must be some savings or they wouldn`t do it.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Fri May 19, 2017 10:21 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:Well done. Must be some savings or they wouldn`t do it.

Likely got a good deal but it does show that teams in the league are doing better than most people think. Tough no where near the riches of the big 4. Getting a charter plan for at most 8 road games shows there is $$ available to invest.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Fri May 19, 2017 10:51 am

Nolitour is a sponsor. Probably some in kind arrangement.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by EastVanMark » Fri May 19, 2017 11:16 am

Welcome to the 1990's for sport team travel, Als. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come for all teams moving forward. :thup: Sport teams shouldn't be flying commercial with everyone else these days.
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Fri May 19, 2017 11:48 am

...cool, good for the Als to strike up this partnership...certainly economics are important, but so is winning and if your team shows up a little better rested and ready then why not go this route...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by yougottabekidding » Fri May 19, 2017 1:01 pm

There's marginal upside the players of a CFL team in a charter, even with Montreal being on the "far right" of all teams which would not necessarily mean more travel miles but certainly longer trips. It's more critical for other sports who need to "getaway" so they can play the next day or day after to get to the next town quickly....football teams are almost always going home and the players have the whole week to rest up.

Given it's a charter I'll assume they team will now fly home immediately after all games, saving a night of hotel (and fun for the players), even if it means arriving at 4am on what will essentially be a red eye flight. A charter would certainly allow some of the larger players a bit of room which is always a positive if you're over six feet tall and weigh more than 180 lbs, which most planes seem formatted for. I played University ball back in the 70's and always chuckled when 40 players, some pretty big, squeezed into some of those DC-9's....the other passengers' eyes would widen as the team approached the gate wondering if the plane could handle the load....and that was 40 years ago when players were generally smaller.

Pros and cons of course but for most CFL teams watching their pennies, charters will probably remain the exception, not the rule.
Veteran

by KevinRiley2 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:27 pm

HfxTC wrote:

Nolitour is a sponsor. Probably some in kind arrangement.

Even so, it's a huge savings.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Fri May 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Probably worth 300k to 500k a year.
Hall of Famer

by Mightygoose » Fri May 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Maybe I’m reading thing wrong but I hope nobody here is trying to suggest that using a private charter as opposed to commercial is actually saving the team money?

Unless the Als have a reserve of jet fuel under Molson Stadium or they have a licensed pilot or two employed or their paying next to nothing to use the plane there’s no way I see it possible.

Otherwise, why wouldn’t have every team tried to use one when the league was nearly out of business in the 90s?
All-Star

Next