Draft Day

Re: Draft Day

by bowl450 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:56 pm

5 out of 7 picks are defensive players , 4 D line, amazed at no O line picked ?
Veteran

by Lyle B. Style » Sun May 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Kyle Walters seems disconnected from the rest of his bunker buddies. Takes a flyer on Geoff Gray at #8 . . . . . prolly a direct order from Wadzilla Miller, team presidente and CEO
All-Star

by Grover » Sun May 07, 2017 7:07 pm

Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by Preisst » Sun May 07, 2017 7:12 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:Did Big Chris just call riderfans the most intelligent fans in the CFL? I guess he wasn't referring to the web site cuz that would be a big joke!

Corky takes the late add Cam Judge, the UCLA linebacker who runs a 4.5 40.

Facts are facts. You don't even go to games............lol........what a joke
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by Lyle B. Style » Sun May 07, 2017 7:24 pm

Have any of Dwaino's Top 10 been picked 13 players in?

WOW!

Sorry, switching off between my persona at riderfans and here! Keeping some idiotsavant mod busy checking every i.d.
All-Star

by Preisst » Sun May 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:Have any of Dwaino's Top 10 been picked 13 players in?

WOW!

Sorry, switching off between my persona at riderfans and here! Keeping some idiotsavant mod busy checking every i.d.

No need to apologize, no one cares at all.........
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by Lyle B. Style » Sun May 07, 2017 8:16 pm

You're not a real priest, are you?
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Sun May 07, 2017 9:10 pm

I think it is funny that they were so shocked that OLmen didn't dominate the start of the draft...most people realized it was a stronger draft for D as it was and that the "ready now" OLmen simply are not available bar one or 2 of them this year. I mean they even talked about it and then in the next breath are stunned that OL is being pushed off??? Definitely a year that the top prospects list meant little though for sure lol. having the top picks unavailable hurts...having them as OLmen makes that push for D even stronger. I think there were several project players for the OL...no so much for starter ready.

I liked the Bombers first 2 picks...seemed smart with the #1 and I think Gray Geoff is a good hometown gamble.

I was a little surprised to see 2 WR in the first round...Vandervoort made sense to BC with Gore packing it in, and I think Edmonton needed a guy who could potentially take reps now because their ratio depth is weaker than the past couple of seasons.

Was not a massive fan of either of the Rider's first couple picks...they tried trading down, which makes sense because their LB did not need to go #2. I think it is a good pick behind Muamba but he is not a heavy rep guy for multiple seasons barring injury. My impression is that Bladek might be ready to take reps now but perhaps has a lower ceiling than others...IMO better OLmen went after him. Auclair will be a nice addition in time IMO.

BC did well with Luke I think...underrated player.
All-Star

by Wumper » Sun May 07, 2017 9:14 pm

Gray is big and smart, not so sure NFL skills. My bet is we see him in Winnipeg this year.
That happens, da Blew sell some tickets...
Lyle, nice to see you still got the squeeze, driving Riderfans crazy.
Rookie

by depopulationINC » Sun May 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Wumper wrote:Gray is big and smart, not so sure NFL skills. My bet is we see him in Winnipeg this year.

I think it was a smart gamble...even if he does stick down there. I would say there is a good chance he is in the CFL this season or next. IMO the Bomber had a solid first 3 picks in the draft. Spooner could be good as well.

I think BC perhaps did the best for filling immediate needs....followed by the Bombers because they have a DT who can probably get real reps early after losing the ratio spot...pretty big obviously

there are a couple sleeper OL guys who never go drafted that IMO could be starters in the CFL as well
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Sun May 07, 2017 9:32 pm

depopulationINC wrote:
Wumper wrote:Gray is big and smart, not so sure NFL skills. My bet is we see him in Winnipeg this year.

I think it was a smart gamble...even if he does stick down there. I would say there is a good chance he is in the CFL this season or next. IMO the Bomber had a solid first 3 picks in the draft. Spooner could be good as well.

I think BC perhaps did the best for filling immediate needs....followed by the Bombers because they have a DT who can probably get real reps early after losing the ratio spot...pretty big obviously

The only guy more surprised Green Bay signed Gray as a priority free agent (priority cuz they didn't have to burn a number in the NFL draft) than Gray was prolly U of M head coach and chief bottle-washer Brian "Glee Club" Dobie. Reason - Dobie don't really coach Manitoba o-linemen up on details so NFL was prolly stunned at Gray's workout numbers. When they find he's not quite up to snuff in terms of NFL footwork - handling massively ferocious interior d-linemen they'll either offer him a developmental spot on their reserve squads (larger than a CFL contract, of course) or release him outright. Gray wants to finish his engineering degree at U of M so playing right next to the university would be a good way of killin' 2 birds w/ 1 stone. Prolly get around $120k per season x 2 seasons w/ Bombers plus finish his degree at his alma mater. Bombers might even go $133k plus bonuses for games played and all-star appearances, etc.
If Gray plays with the bombers that might be just as good as rotting on the Packer reserve squad - drawing a salary but having it eaten up in high housing, food & travel costs.
But Geoff, despite obviously inferior details training at UM has a chance to get himself coached up for Green Bay. If he can latch onto a great mentor and o-line technique guy he might make the packers gameday roster (as a 7th or 8th o-lineman)
Good risk/reward aspect for the bombers. This guy has Laurent Duvernay written all over him - other than pro technique!
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Sun May 07, 2017 9:34 pm

depopulationINC wrote:

there are a couple sleeper OL guys who never go drafted that IMO could be starters in the CFL as well

My only problem w/ Faith Halfasaki @ #1 is he only amassed a grand total of half of sack in 31 college games. That my friends is NOT a good sign!
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Sun May 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:

The only guy more surprised Green Bay signed Gray as a priority free agent (priority cuz they didn't have to burn a number in the NFL draft) than Gray was prolly U of M head coach and chief bottle-washer Brian "Glee Club" Dobie. Reason - Dobie don't really coach Manitoba o-linemen up on details so NFL was prolly stunned at Gray's workout numbers. When they find he's not quite up to snuff in terms of NFL footwork - handling massively ferocious interior d-linemen they'll either offer him a developmental spot on their reserve squads (larger than a CFL contract, of course) or release him outright. Gray wants to finish his engineering degree at U of M so playing right next to the university would be a good way of killin' 2 birds w/ 1 stone. Prolly get around $120k per season x 2 seasons w/ Bombers plus finish his degree at his alma mater. Bombers might even go $133k plus bonuses for games played and all-star appearances, etc.
If Gray plays with the bombers that might be just as good as rotting on the Packer reserve squad - drawing a salary but having it eaten up in high housing, food & travel costs.
But Geoff, despite obviously inferior details training at UM has a chance to get himself coached up for Green Bay. If he can latch onto a great mentor and o-line technique guy he might make the packers gameday roster (as a 7th or 8th o-lineman)
Good risk/reward aspect for the bombers. This guy has Laurent Duvernay written all over him - other than pro technique!

...well he is only going to get 90k (US) this year as a Packer because he is not likely to actually roster...but big picture it is hard to walk away from that...engineering degree or not.
All-Star

by BCCFLFAN » Sun May 07, 2017 9:49 pm

depopulationINC wrote:

Who are these sleeper OL Guys that could start? Found it interesting that Calgary drafted that Arena League guy. Thinks he will come up and dominate in the CFL or that is what his coach said. no respect. :lol:
Starter

by depopulationINC » Sun May 07, 2017 10:00 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:

My only problem w/ Faith Halfasaki @ #1 is he only amassed a grand total of half of sack in 31 college games. That my friends is NOT a good sign!

I tend to agree. There were better DTs available.
All-Star

PreviousNext