Sportsnet trying to hijack the CFL Draft again??

Re: Sportsnet trying to hijack the CFL Draft again??

by Lyle B. Style » Sat May 06, 2017 7:57 pm

This is gonna sound quite counter-intuitive but the reason I prefer CFL football over NFL is

#1 - I grew up CFL, in an era (1960s) where we were lucky to get one Ray Scott NFL game a week - usually Bears or Packers

#2 - CFL is usually more exciting than NFL because of wider playing field and preponderance of passing in the 3 down game.

#3 - Mistakes happen more often in the CFL game; mainly because of the odd unprepared or under-powered athlete that gets run over or terrified in combat. Not many, but enough to create excitement via lack of execution and/or focus. NFL players are rehearsed night 'n day where CFL teams get a short training camp every season, then 1 hour or 90 minute practices during the season - usually aborted due to injuries, bad weather, etc.

#4 - 4 down NFL game has a lot of pitch 'n putt plays, ie 2.5 to 3.5 yard runs, 4 yard passes, 8 yard outs. CFL game is more free-flowing

Despite the above CFL is still seen as the inferior minor league operation. CFL coaching has some real bugeroos in tow, cling-ons if you will plus the officiating is penny dreadful w/ far too many poorly trained and unprepared mopes donning zebra outfits.

Right now nothing is better than watching the tremendously coached and brilliantly rehearsed New England Patriots play ball - but I'll take my CFL right after Bellichek & Brady.
All-Star

by Aerial » Sun May 07, 2017 10:32 am

Bellichek and Brady in the CFL with the 3 downs and wider field and some decent receivers, that would be very interesting to see.
We should expect to receive from our healthcare system evidence-based basic best practices from our healthcare providers. But we should demand much more in our individual care - Anon
All-Star

by Preisst » Sun May 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Aerial wrote:Bellichek and Brady in the CFL with the 3 downs and wider field and some decent receivers, that would be very interesting to see.

I've been curious for several years/decades what it would be like to see the NFL players play by CFL rules on a CFL field...
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by BCCFLFAN » Sun May 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:I wouldn't have any objection (nor should the majority of CFL fans) to Sportsnet being granted (for money) approx. 1 game per week (Game of the Week on Sportsnet).

Could be good for entire league and fanbase. Different network, different outlook and certainly different broadcast crews and techniques.

Less Rod Black would certainly be a bonus in any event. :cowboy:

Perhaps more money for the CFL - but I fear most of the surplus would be eaten up by the Whitey Cabal which runs the league - the biggest earners are Commisioner, Team Presidents, Team GM, head coaches, a few highly paid assistants like Plop LaPolice and scattered few CFL & team executives - so by that token maybe its a dumb idea as the money would flow to people vs. teams. The greediest people!

Having Sportsnet get one game a week might be good or it might be bad. They may use it to belittle or put down the CFL game live on air. Who knows what their broadcaster's might say or do? Remember this is Rogers we are talking about and their total disrespect for the CFL.
Starter

by OskeeweeneeVI » Mon May 08, 2017 4:24 am

I doubt the network would disrespect the league on air. It would only hurt the ratings for their upcoming games. They'd probably go the other route and become huge cheerleaders. Kind of like... "Stay tuned now for the upcoming documentary ...The secret lives of Blue Jay batboys." or "Here's last night's Jay game. We're going to replay it 36 times in a row"
Starter

by Aerial » Mon May 08, 2017 5:48 am

Excellent analogy there Oskee. :thup: :D
We should expect to receive from our healthcare system evidence-based basic best practices from our healthcare providers. But we should demand much more in our individual care - Anon
All-Star

Previous