est. 1873

est. 1873

by REmmett » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Argonauts marketing plan? The Argos need to start educating their city on how old the franchise really is. est. 1873, one of the oldest active teams in North America.
Attachments
51OjA07q+pL.jpg
Rookie

Re: est. 1873

by depopulationINC » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:21 pm

I like it.
They have dabbled with this a bit in the past, but not enough IMO.
All-Star

by Cool » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:53 pm

:thup:
Pull Together everyone
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:13 pm

But they have marketed the Argos big time in this past year and it hasn't worked.
Just telling people it was established in 1873 doesn't mean a thing, especially to the young people out there, the important millinials.
The Argos marketed the move to BMO, the TV ads with the team running through the Princes Gates, the billboard ads, the TTC ads, the tail gating before games, the Shipyards concerts, the $4 beers, the $25 tickets.
Free admission to the Ex with Argo tickets, the Flutie flex-pack.
There have been all kinds of marketing ideas.

Reminding people about the history may get you a "thumbs up" from posters on these boards but is not going to sell one ticket.
I like the idea of the "Flutie-flex pack" you get a bobble head doll for that Monday night game against Ottawa and you can buy the home opener against the Ticats and you get decent seats for around $30 !!! - that's good marketing and will sell tickets

Of course all these ideas are all in another thread called "How the Argos get another 10k fans"
All-Star

by LeStaf » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:13 pm

REmmett wrote:Argonauts marketing plan? The Argos need to start educating their city on how old the franchise really is. est. 1873, one of the oldest active teams in North America.

Pour mettre en marché l'histoire comme véhicule d'identification des supporteurs, il faut l'inscrire dans la durée. Il faut sans cesse ramener à la mémoire les grands moments et les grands acteurs de cette histoire. C'est la recette du club de hockey à Montréal, et malgré qu'ils soient de lamentables perdants année après année, les supporteurs saouls de cette propagande continuent d'acheter des billets et de les suivre à la télévision. Encore faut-t-il trouver assez de légendes à célébrer et mettre sur le terrain pour attirer l'attention... dans la durée.
For translation ----> http://translate.google.ca/
All-Star

by Preisst » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:31 pm

slimjim2 wrote:But they have marketed the Argos big time in this past year and it hasn't worked.
Just telling people it was established in 1873 doesn't mean a thing, especially to the young people out there, the important millinials.
The Argos marketed the move to BMO, the TV ads with the team running through the Princes Gates, the billboard ads, the TTC ads, the tail gating before games, the Shipyards concerts, the $4 beers, the $25 tickets.

Reminding people about the history may get you a "thumbs up" from posters on these boards but is not going to sell one ticket.
I like the idea of the "Flutie-flex pack" you get a bobble head doll for that Monday night game against Ottawa and you can buy the home opener against the Ticats and you get decent seats for around $30 !!! - that's good marketing and will sell tickets

Of course all these ideas are all in another thread called "How the Argos get another 10k fans"

My first thought was this is cool and nothing wrong with it.

Then your post, or at least the bold aspect of it, made me wonder if it may work the exact opposite. Not only might it not mean anything it may work against them, as many young un's today not only think that they need to carve out their own identity but some of them have disdain to anything that is not "their own"...... [I appreciate this is not ALL of them]
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by Argofan_1000 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:00 pm

everything matters.

When you look at the video compared to the other sports teams in Toronto, these guys look bigger, stronger, faster than the other athletes in this city. Popp is impressed and I was also watching this TSN video. Must be happening not just Argos camp but at every other CFL mini camp this week.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/popp-impres ... mp~1110987
Veteran

by Aerial » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:12 pm

When you look at the video compared to the other sports teams in Toronto, these guys look bigger, stronger, faster than the other athletes in this city.

You got that right Argofan_1000. :thup:
We should expect to receive from our healthcare system evidence-based basic best practices from our healthcare providers. But we should demand much more in our individual care - Anon
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:14 pm

slimjim2 wrote:But they have marketed the Argos big time in this past year and it hasn't worked.

So there was no upswing after a season so why market? Unclear if that is what you mean and I hope not. This is going to take more than 1 year to get right and the new ownership knows that. They made some really stupid decisions since taking over, but flood marketing is not one of them. I hope they learn from their mistakes and grow. I know a year or 2 ago the boy saw one of these from the Argos and I saw him kind of looking at it a bit. I asked if he liked the hat (or whatever it was) and if he wanted it, and he pointed out the year. You could see he was processing that and he asked how old a couple other various franchises were, to which we looked up on the phone. He thought it was pretty cool and it drew some interest from him. IMO that is a win, and I am sure there are others that it may click with in a similar way.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:11 am

depopulationINC wrote:

So there was no upswing after a season so why market? Unclear if that is what you mean and I hope not.

But that's not what I said, I never said don't market. The point was that even with the move to the new stadium which was supposed to attract thousands of new fans and the marketing last year, they failed to attract fans.
They must continue to market the team but they are running out of ideas. How do you get the young fans that are flocking to TFC games or the families that attend the Jays games.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:11 am

depopulationINC wrote:

So there was no upswing after a season so why market? Unclear if that is what you mean and I hope not.

But that's not what I said, I never said don't market. The point was that even with the move to the new stadium which was supposed to attract thousands of new fans and the marketing last year, they failed to attract fans.
They must continue to market the team but they are running out of ideas. How do you get the young fans that are flocking to TFC games or the families that attend the Jays games?
MLSE pays marketing people good money to come up with.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:38 am

slimjim2 wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:

They must continue to market the team but they are running out of ideas. How do you get the young fans that are flocking to TFC games or the families that attend the Jays games?
MLSE pays marketing people good money to come up with.

Wasn't attacking at all...not my intent. I was legit asking as that line was a bit open ended. Like I added "Unclear if that is what you mean and I hope not." because it didn't seem like something that you would do. Thanks for the clarification.

I don't think a plethora of fans are flocking the the soccer games though...I have only been to one but I sure didn't see it in that instance, and we hear that echoed here a lot...so I question if their advertising is any more effective at this point.

IMO the Argo did a lot of things right leading up to the season last year as far as grassroots building and drawing on the community...was it a smashing success...perhaps not...but I would have carbon copied it for another season. The biggest thing that they need it some positive media exposure though...and many of the big name players in the market are clowns about the team and league in general...so I am not sure how one would accomplish that.
All-Star