What is the CFL's deal with the military?

Re: What is the CFL's deal with the military?

by pikk » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:06 am

rhymes with orange wrote:
TravelPat1 wrote:
rhymes with orange wrote: (it doesn't happen in the NHL, for example),

The Leafs have been doing it for years with military service people as honoured guests in one of the private boxes. Luke Schenn was sort of the face of the program honouring military. It was called 'Luke's Troops'. That became 'Lupe's Troops' after Schenn got traded for Joffrey Lupul.

The last few years one home game a year they encourage their box holders and season ticket holders to give their tickets for that game to service members and hundreds of them do.

Oh, I am sure there are dozens of isolated examples of military support in the NHL. Many of the anthems in American NHL arenas are presented by the Color Guard. That's not what I meant.

I was referring to an actual sponsorship deal that I believe exits between the CFL and the Canadian Armed Forces that no one here seems to recognize. Yup, we're a small league. Money's tight. But we'll just send dozens of our players over to Kiev and then onto France because we're patriotic. :roll:

Again, I am not criticizing this at all. I'm just interested in knowing what this deal is. There must be a money trail somewhere. I recall during Grey Cup week a few years back there were a number of recruiting booths set up during GC festivities.
Exactly, because we are.
All-Star

by Preisst » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:49 pm

TravelPat1 wrote:
rhymes with orange wrote: (it doesn't happen in the NHL, for example),

The Leafs have been doing it for years with military service people as honoured guests in one of the private boxes. Luke Schenn was sort of the face of the program honouring military. It was called 'Luke's Troops'. That became 'Lupe's Troops' after Schenn got traded for Joffrey Lupul.

The last few years one home game a year they encourage their box holders and season ticket holders to give their tickets for that game to service members and hundreds of them do.

fyi.......Schenn was traded for James Van Riemsdyk not Lupul......
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by cflisthebest » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:23 pm

well, if things keep going like they seem to be.. we might have another Big war on our hands. stupid North Korea...

Russia is putting weapons on their eastern border and we all know TRUMP is just itching to declare war on them.
A Proud member of the Rider Nation!
All-Star

by Bayargonaut00 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:05 pm

anyone who doesnt have a problem with this, cannot have a problem with Kaepernick taking a knee on the grounds that it is "politicising the sport". this does nothing but the same.
Just a friendly PR politicization and not a critical one.
No finite point has meaning without an infinite reference point
Starter

by OskeeweeneeVI » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 am

Bayargonaut00 wrote:anyone who doesnt have a problem with this, cannot have a problem with Kaepernick taking a knee on the grounds that it is "politicising the sport". this does nothing but the same.

Wait....what????
How does a team recognizing the efforts of an individual who serves his/her country compare to someone who wants to make their own personal statement?
Starter

by robsawatsky » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:05 am

OskeeweeneeVI wrote:
Bayargonaut00 wrote:anyone who doesnt have a problem with this, cannot have a problem with Kaepernick taking a knee on the grounds that it is "politicising the sport". this does nothing but the same.

Wait....what????
How does a team recognizing the efforts of an individual who serves his/her country compare to someone who wants to make their own personal statement?

Both are inherently political statements, as is your question in itself a political statement. If you don't understand my response, that too is a clear relection of your own political perspective, and once again a political statement. I expect similar variety of perspectives would arise in response to the question as to why the national anthem is sung before professional sports events.

The CFL aligns itself with the military and the military with the CFL because they see it as mutually beneficial to their own interests, while it also fills some personal and corporate interests and ties it up in a patriotic wrapper.
Last edited by robsawatsky on Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veteran

by OskeeweeneeVI » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:13 am

Rob......I understand your statement, I don't know if I completely agree with it. Fortunately we are free to agree or disagree with others certain opinions.
Starter

by robsawatsky » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:39 am

OskeeweeneeVI wrote:Rob......I understand your statement, I don't know if I completely agree with it. Fortunately we are free to agree or disagree with others certain opinions.

Still leaves the question is whether there is a formal deal involving things like fly-bys, recognition, etc with the military.
Veteran

by slimjim2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:15 am

robsawatsky wrote:
OskeeweeneeVI wrote:Rob......I understand your statement, I don't know if I completely agree with it. Fortunately we are free to agree or disagree with others certain opinions.

Still leaves the question is whether there is a formal deal involving things like fly-bys, recognition, etc with the military.

What is a formal deal?
In Ottawa with so many military people in town the team will honour people that have served overseas.
For fly-bys there are always CF-18s on training missions, if one is in the area they will do fly-bys, it's not like it costs anything the money is in the training budget.
When CFL players, NHL players, entertainers go overseas to meet the troops they fly in military aircraft with other military people.
The Canadian government used to be a sponsor of the CFL, anyone remember the Canada posters around most CFL stadiums. I haven't seen them lately.

There has always been a budget for troop entertainment etc, when I was overseas we had visits by entertainers, athletes etc it's been going on for years. I remember the most popular were the ladies from the "20 minute wok out"
Still don't know why people are questioning this. If you don't believe in standing for the national anthem or don't think they should honor the military then that's fine just skip the pre-game national anthem etc or at least stand and show some respect you don't have to sing or clap or cheer.
All-Star

by rhymes with orange » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:26 am

slimjim2 wrote:Still don't know why people are questioning this.

I don't think many (any?) are questioning the virtues of supporting the Canadian military slimjim2. Just trying to establish what the formal agreement is that's in place (much like the NFL and the United Way). One would have to be pretty naive IMHO to conclude that all of these displays of military support I outlined earlier are because the league is just doing their patriotic part!

Obviously, the CFL sees the merits of a strategic alliance - was just curious about what this sponsorship is worth, is all. A small league with tight budgets doesn't fly players from every team to the Ukraine and France to mingle with troops just because it's the right thing to do. Again, IMHO.
Proud B.C. Lions season ticket holder since 1995.
All-Star

by pikk » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:47 am

Some body has to thank them for their service, because this government will not.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:51 pm

rhymes with orange wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:Still don't know why people are questioning this.

I don't think many (any?) are questioning the virtues of supporting the Canadian military slimjim2. Just trying to establish what the formal agreement is that's in place (much like the NFL and the United Way). One would have to be pretty naive IMHO to conclude that all of these displays of military support I outlined earlier are because the league is just doing their patriotic part!

Obviously, the CFL sees the merits of a strategic alliance - was just curious about what this sponsorship is worth, is all. A small league with tight budgets doesn't fly players from every team to the Ukraine and France to mingle with troops just because it's the right thing to do. Again, IMHO.

But flying players to meet with our deployed military is not payed for by the CFL, it's part of DND's welfare budget.
As stated above this has been going on for at least 30 years, entertainers etc are flown in by Military transport and housed and fed by the military.
The military recruits from the younger population and they see an opportunity for recruiting and taxpayers can see their military.
All-Star

by RBFan2014 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:58 pm

drummer_god wrote:There was some controversy last year when the media uncovered that the government was paying the NFL to showcase military service people at their games. There were some who called it propaganda, while others saw it as the government subsidizing the NFL because the amounts paid was outrageous and not simply the cost of a ticket for said service person.

I'm not sure that's what's happening here in Canada / CFL, but I highly doubt our military-hating Liberal government would fund a day out for our soldiers.

This isn't 100% accurate, the funding was for the NFL "salute to service" week(s). The military called it part of their recruitment and paid a butt load of money to the NFL. The acknowledgement of a military personnel at the game has been going on for most teams forever.
Rookie

by slimjim2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:26 am

RBFan2014 wrote:
drummer_god wrote:There was some controversy last year when the media uncovered that the government was paying the NFL to showcase military service people at their games. There were some who called it propaganda, while others saw it as the government subsidizing the NFL because the amounts paid was outrageous and not simply the cost of a ticket for said service person.

I'm not sure that's what's happening here in Canada / CFL, but I highly doubt our military-hating Liberal government would fund a day out for our soldiers.

This isn't 100% accurate, the funding was for the NFL "salute to service" week(s). The military called it part of their recruitment and paid a butt load of money to the NFL. The acknowledgement of a military personnel at the game has been going on for most teams forever.

Yes and the US military runs a lot of recruiting ads on NFL games. That's the audience you want to direct your recruiting at, the young millenials.
All-Star

by Chronicguy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Amazing that nobody has yet brought up what actually connects the two. All this talk about a strategic alliance, it being mutually beneficial, politicization of the sport, and so on.. all fail to recognize the history of Canadian football and the Grey Cup.

The connection between the CFL (or more specifically, the Grey Cup) and the Canadian Armed Forces goes back well beyond the last 10 or so years. It dates back to WWII. The old CFL website had a page that covered the history of the relationship, but this new one doesn't (or at least I can't find it).

What I was able to find are a couple of web pages with some information on the history and the connection formed in the 40's.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/20/gr ... le-booster
https://comoxairforcemuseum.ca/the-r-c- ... -grey-cup/

I'm sure there are more, but I don't really have the time to look right now.

Basically, in 1942 (pre CFL) both the Interprovincial Rugby Football Union and Western Interprovincial Football Union suspended operations because of WWII, which would have put a halt to the playing of a Grey Cup game. The military stepped up and formed teams at bases across the country and in 1942, '43 and '44 the Grey Cup competition was limited to military teams.

The flybys, armed forces personnel at games, booths at Grey Cup festivities and so on... are all about honouring a 75 year connection between the game and the military. Yes, somebody pays for it. As pointed out by others, flybys are usually connected to training/practice. The seats at games are probably paid for by the teams and/or league. But regardless of who is paying for what part, the connection between the two is older than probably 90% of the fans today.
Veteran

PreviousNext