Sunderland to be named ESK's GM

Sunderland to be named ESK's GM

by Grover » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:15 am

According to sources of TSN's Farhan Lalji, Brock Sunderland will named general manager of the Edmonton Eskimos.

Sunderland has served as the assitant general manager of the Ottawa Redblacks for the past four seasons.

He will replace Ed Hervey, who was fired as the club's vice-president of football operations and general manager on earlier this month just over a year after leading Edmonton to a Grey Cup title.

Sunderland spent five years as a pro scout with the NFL's New York Jets before joining the Redblacks.

He interviewed to for the Alouettes' general manager role in December.

http://www.tsn.ca/sunderland-to-be-name ... m-1.731371
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

Re: Sunderland to be named ESK's GM

by jamie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:37 am

Maas probably is breathing easier now hey?
Seems highly regarded. Many thought he should have gotten the Montreal Job. But this is the plum job.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:12 pm

Great choice. I was hoping Montreal would give him the job...
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by papazoola » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:16 pm

HfxTC wrote:Great choice. I was hoping Montreal would give him the job...

....Yeah...I think the Als. passed up on a good one....Kavis is alright but Sunderland would have been the better hire...Esks. will be happy
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what's NOT being said....AnonymousImage
Hall of Famer

by jamie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:48 pm

Well president Len Rhodes better hope so.
One thing for sure he and Sunderland will get the support of the press there for a good period of time.
All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:35 pm

HfxTC wrote:Great choice. I was hoping Montreal would give him the job...

Montreal should have given him the job!
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by jamie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:44 pm

Obviously we will never know who should have got the Montreal job.
But I think Montreal wanted a clear break from the Popp reign. Sunderland was pretty open about his very close friendship with Popp and common sense might suggest that weighed against him. You generally don't fire a guy then hire one of his best friends in any industry.
I suspect Sunderland is pretty pleased with how things have unfolded.
All-Star

by okie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Andrew Wetenhall wanted to use his special formula to determine the next GM for the Als. Wetenhall pretty much said if there had been only the single criteria of football, Brock Sunderland would have been hired.
All-Star

by rhymes with orange » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:38 pm

While I was critical of the Esks for the timing of Hervey's dismissal (so close to the start of camp), they've expedited a search for their next GM and, assuming thorough due diligence, a 2 week turnaround is commendable for minimal disruption within their organization. :thup:
Proud B.C. Lions season ticket holder since 1995.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Awesome choice

I wonder if there was compensation agreed to on this one? there is that policy of term in place in advance now and while it has been largely laughable I can entirely see something like that happening this late in the off-season...it would be understandable
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:07 pm

okie wrote:Andrew Wetenhall wanted to use his special formula to determine the next GM for the Als. Wetenhall pretty much said if there had been only the single criteria of football, Brock Sunderland would have been hired.

Ahhh ! The secret sauce ! I see.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:09 pm

rhymes with orange wrote:While I was critical of the Esks for the timing of Hervey's dismissal (so close to the start of camp), they've expedited a search for their next GM and, assuming thorough due diligence, a 2 week turnaround is commendable for minimal disruption within their organization. :thup:

Want to bet all this was decided in Vegas at the League meetings ?
The Ketchup salesman probably said ok, you want Hervey gone, you guys don't put any roadblocks in hiring his replacement via a league hire.
Hall of Famer

by depopulationINC » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:00 pm

HfxTC wrote:
rhymes with orange wrote:While I was critical of the Esks for the timing of Hervey's dismissal (so close to the start of camp), they've expedited a search for their next GM and, assuming thorough due diligence, a 2 week turnaround is commendable for minimal disruption within their organization. :thup:

Want to bet all this was decided in Vegas at the League meetings ?
The Ketchup salesman probably said ok, you want Hervey gone, you guys don't put any roadblocks in hiring his replacement via a league hire.

100% that is one of the factors in why teams were willing to have good staffers interview this late...wanting to see someone's career advance being the other as well of course.
All-Star

by brianjoxx » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:08 pm

Nice Nice choice. Guess Eskies season is not over like the doom says have Whined!!!
Starter

by depopulationINC » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:12 pm

HfxTC wrote:
okie wrote:Andrew Wetenhall wanted to use his special formula to determine the next GM for the Als. Wetenhall pretty much said if there had been only the single criteria of football, Brock Sunderland would have been hired.

Ahhh ! The secret sauce ! I see.

Apparently when he wrote the formula he squared locker room meltdowns and multiplied it by the sum of trust plus and consequences divided by experience

meltdowns^2 x (trust + consequences)/experience
instead of (√ meltdowns / (trust + consequences) x experience
or (√ meltdowns x experience)/(trust + consequences) if you prefer to tidy the formula up a bit.

better know in some circles as the ReedWetenhall strangulation furmula

Who knew it was not just Kavis who sucks at math? WHAT SAY YOU? WHAT SAY YOU!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byR_i1lAD0E
All-Star

Next