So what has to happen for the League to drop the Ratio

Re: So what has to happen for the League to drop the Ratio

by Cool » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:54 am

Does it need too?
Pull Together everyone
All-Star

by jonny24eh » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm in favour of keeping the ratio. They can be played anywhere, so complaining about the Oline is pointless.

The trouble is, due to the giant conveyor belt of players down south, it's easier to scout for them than it is here, even if there are the same number of skilled players (proportionately).

What I'd like to see happen is far more radical. Canadian football is too similar to American football, making it easy to use cheap imports. One day, nobody will be able to ignore the concussion issue any longer.
I'd like to to see the Canadian game make a shift back towards its rugby roots. Implement it over a period of say 10 years, bit by bit, across high schools, college, junior, and pro. I'm not sure what exactly would change. But we would have a safer, unique game. And as a game only played here, then we would see Canadian coaches rise to the top of the game as they determine the best strategies and tactics, and Canadian players would be the best at it instead of Americans due to it being unique.

Pipe dream, I know...
The poster formerly known as jonny24.

Eat'em raw!
Starter

by Argofan_1000 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:29 pm

"So what has to happen to the league to drop the ratio" is already happening by not being able to sign the top Canadians. Teams may not even select these guys during the draft because they may want to give the NFL a try. Happens with Imports and is now happening with homegrown. Good for the young guys but the league needs to move forward and replace this skill set.

I say let the league evolve and that will mean a slow process of change in the ratio rules. They can start with the same mix of Import/Non Imports on a team but let the coach decide who he wants to play with the 44 players. If this was the only change I would be satisfied
Veteran

by canadianfootballfan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Usually about 25-35% of the players drafted every year are from NCAA teams, so the Canadian content is far from all being CIS like many are making it out to be.
Veteran

Previous