So what has to happen for the League to drop the Ratio

Re: So what has to happen for the League to drop the Ratio

by cflisthebest » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:05 pm

Stupid idea.
A Proud member of the Rider Nation!
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:38 pm

As far as I'm concerned, annexation would have to happen to get the ratio dropped. I want a Canadian league, that pays Canadians money and keeps it in Canada.
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

by BCCFLFAN » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:13 pm

brihind88 wrote:I would be afraid Canadians would be obsolete in the CANADIAN FL.

It is not that Canadians are less talented.

It is all about numbers more than talent or skill.

Think of it this way:

How many JR Canadian teams and CIS Football teams do we have ?

A: 51 (27 in CIS 24 in Junior)

How many University and College teams are there in the US ?

A: not sure , but it is well in to the hundreds.

Canadians would not have a chance to compete. The Canadian JR and CIS kid would think, " what is the point in playing if I can not make it to the pros anyway" ?

Please do not touch the ratio.

IMO

Ratio should be increased to have more Canadians and less imports. Say 55% Canadian and 45% imports. Also meaning Canadians that were born and lived here all their lives or have gotten citizenship and lived here all their lives. Not fake Canadians looking for citizenship for the purpose of getting into the league.
Starter

by canadianfootballfan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:40 am

I say make the CFL 90%+ Canadian, and only allow American QB's. CIS football talent is getting better every year, but the QB's still have a long way to go.
Veteran

by OskeeweeneeVI » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:14 am

canadianfootballfan wrote:I say make the CFL 90%+ Canadian, and only allow American QB's. CIS football talent is getting better every year, but the QB's still have a long way to go.

Force the teams to make their 3rd string QB a Canadian and don't count in the ratio. Even if the kid doesn't get playing time, the practice reps will help.
Starter

by slimjim2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:35 am

canadianfootballfan wrote:I say make the CFL 90%+ Canadian, and only allow American QB's. CIS football talent is getting better every year, but the QB's still have a long way to go.

The CFL is trying to attract new fans especially millinials. If the CFL went 90%+ Cdn, you would lose fans in droves, it would be like watching CIS football, crowds of a couple of thousand people.
There area some good Canadian players but teams still can't find enough quality Canadians to fill the rosters.
We haven't had a CIS player win the CFL MOP in almost 60 years.
The top Canadian football players are being scouted in high school and the cream of the crop get NCAA scholarships, not a lot but it's happening. The CIS is left with the players that couldn't get NCAA scholarships.

You only have to look at the other pro-sports teams in Canada, Jays, Raptors, TFC, sports fans couldn't care less if there teams have any Canadians.
It's not the Olympics, is professional team sports and fans want to see their teams win and be entertained.
Last edited by slimjim2 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:39 am

slimjim2 wrote:

The CFL is trying to attract new fans especially millinials. If the CFL went 90%+, you would lose fans in droves, it would be like watching CIS football, crowds of a couple of thousand people.
There area some good Canadian players but teams still can't find enough quality Canadians to fill the rosters.
You only have to look at the other pro-sports teams in Canada, Jays, Raptors, TFC, sports fans couldn't care less if there teams have any Canadians.
It's not the Olympics, is professional team sports and fans want to see their teams win.

Exactly. The CFL used to have a higher ratio of Canadians and nobody followed the league back then. Why revert to those dark days?

Not to mention we'd have to get used to 0-18 seasons since teams with more Canadians wouldn't be able to win.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by EastVanMark » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:15 pm

Eskimosrock wrote:Did anyone notice the drop off in production and quality play in the season the Redblacks came into the league? Along with the stupid PI penalties, it wasn't a good season in my opinion. When we added the Redblacks, we added the need for 21 more Canadian players and 7 more starters.

I didn't actually know we had to have a set amount on the roster, I thought we needed just 7 starters. 21 Canadians per team is ridiculous. I think we should drop that number to 17-18 Canadians required and drop the Canadian starters to 5 or 6.

IF we every get a 10th team, there is no doubt in my mind the ratio will need to be changed from the required starters to be 5 max and maybe 4. To the required Canadians per team to 16 max and maybe as low as 15.

This would counterbalance the lack of talent at some positions, especially O-Line, protect our QB's, still employ more Canadians b/c of the extra team and increase the talent on the field. A long-shot possibility would be this would decrease the stupid penalties we see as well and maybe the league will take away stupid hits on the QB and dumb PI calls.
It would be a WIN WIN WIN.

I like that idea. Keeps Canadian content, but provides a true competition for positions (even amoung nationals). Right now, there's far too many mediocre players who occupy a roster spot just because they're Canadian. So if a club has a few injuries at key positions occupied by a National, his backup is a considerable step down in talent which fans must endure just because of his passport.

I would also add a rule stating that you could only count a maximum of 3 O-Lineman as nationals. That's less of an incentive for teams to stack all their nationals on the O-line. As many have stated, the QB's in this league are its lifeblood and are seeing guys that were allstars from the SEC, Big Ten, etc going up against a guy from the CIS (now U Sports) is a recipe for disaster (and has been if you look at the number of injuries in the QB ranks over the last few years).
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:37 pm

EastVanMark wrote:
Eskimosrock wrote:Did anyone notice the drop off in production and quality play in the season the Redblacks came into the league? Along with the stupid PI penalties, it wasn't a good season in my opinion. When we added the Redblacks, we added the need for 21 more Canadian players and 7 more starters.

I didn't actually know we had to have a set amount on the roster, I thought we needed just 7 starters. 21 Canadians per team is ridiculous. I think we should drop that number to 17-18 Canadians required and drop the Canadian starters to 5 or 6.

IF we every get a 10th team, there is no doubt in my mind the ratio will need to be changed from the required starters to be 5 max and maybe 4. To the required Canadians per team to 16 max and maybe as low as 15.

This would counterbalance the lack of talent at some positions, especially O-Line, protect our QB's, still employ more Canadians b/c of the extra team and increase the talent on the field. A long-shot possibility would be this would decrease the stupid penalties we see as well and maybe the league will take away stupid hits on the QB and dumb PI calls.
It would be a WIN WIN WIN.

I like that idea. Keeps Canadian content, but provides a true competition for positions (even amoung nationals). Right now, there's far too many mediocre players who occupy a roster spot just because they're Canadian. So if a club has a few injuries at key positions occupied by a National, his backup is a considerable step down in talent which fans must endure just because of his passport.

I would also add a rule stating that you could only count a maximum of 3 O-Lineman as nationals. That's less of an incentive for teams to stack all their nationals on the O-line. As many have stated, the QB's in this league are its lifeblood and are seeing guys that were allstars from the SEC, Big Ten, etc going up against a guy from the CIS (now U Sports) is a recipe for disaster (and has been if you look at the number of injuries in the QB ranks over the last few years).

I can't say that I noticed any drop off in quality of players since the RBs joined the league, but I would throw this idea out for reducing the effects any shortage in quality national players:

for every reduction in number of national starters, increase the number of national roster spots by two. That way, there'd be fewer starting nationals, but then should one of those get injured there would be a higher number of professionally trained replacements available. Having a greater number of pro-trained nationals would also make any future expansion draft a little easier to manage for the 9 existing teams.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by GernB » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:51 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:

The CFL is trying to attract new fans especially millinials. If the CFL went 90%+, you would lose fans in droves, it would be like watching CIS football, crowds of a couple of thousand people.
It's not the Olympics, is professional team sports and fans want to see their teams win.

Exactly. The CFL used to have a higher ratio of Canadians and nobody followed the league back then. Why revert to those dark days?

Not to mention we'd have to get used to 0-18 seasons since teams with more Canadians wouldn't be able to win.

What a ridiculous comment. When the league allowed no more than fifteen imports per team, attendance was higher than now (31,000 per game league-wide in the early 1980s, mid 40,000s in Toronto) and the CFL was close to the NHL in popularity.

The push to increase imports has never been about increasing the quality of the game. It's about decreasing player costs, due to the enormous numbers of American players available.
Returning over a period of a few years to ~sixteen imports per team (which was the league's stated objective after the American expansion failure) is easily doable and would likely increase interest.
Veteran

by yougottabekidding » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:27 pm

Bad idea.

As long as the majority of GM's and Coaches are Yanks, giving them the opportunity to eliminate Canadian players will lead to an all American roster for virtually every team in the CFL within a few years.

American Coaches believe in their heart of hearts that Canucks are inferior football players and if not for the current set up they'd flush 'em all.
Veteran

by PTBO Dave » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:34 pm

GernB wrote:
PTBO Dave wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:

What a ridiculous comment. When the league allowed no more than fifteen imports per team, attendance was higher than now (31,000 per game league-wide in the early 1980s, mid 40,000s in Toronto) and the CFL was close to the NHL in popularity.

The push to increase imports has never been about increasing the quality of the game. It's about decreasing player costs, due to the enormous numbers of American players available.
Returning over a period of a few years to ~sixteen imports per team (which was the league's stated objective after the American expansion failure) is easily doable and would likely increase interest.

Oh, well if that's the case, then it makes more sense to increase rather than decrease the ratio of national players I guess. :oops:
-Confucius

All-Star

by GHT120 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Don't support more Internationals, and would support any expansion of game-day rosters being more Nationals, but 90%+ Canadian equates to overage CIS football, but without the "school spirit" hook that draws crowds in the hundreds.
All-Star

by Eskimosrock » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:50 pm

You know what WOULD make sense if nothing changed? Enabling coaches to fill the starting positions of Canadians with Imports during the game if one was injured. But would require 7 starting Canadians in the following game. Instead of jumbling up a roster to get a potential massive liability on the field.

But I stand by my prior assessment that has been quoted previously. The ratio should be dropped from 7 to 6 and the amount of required Canadians on the roster needs to drop by 1 or 2.

I don't give a damn who's Canadian but do like we have to play some, just not as many as are needed right now. I also think there is still potential for more than 5 or 6 Canadians to be starters if the ratio was dropped anyways on specific but not all teams.

Some people have pointed out that more imports would save the teams money. That's a good thing!
The Green and Gold is bold.
Veteran

by Xvys » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:12 pm

Canada would have to cease to exist as a nation for the ratio to drop below the current seven National starters.

One problem is teams are stacking 10,11 or 12 imports on defence, which often stifles the offences, especially with 5 or 6 Canadians starting on offence.

This problem could be solved by simply requiring that a minimum of 3 Nationals need to be on the field at all times...on offence, defence and special teams. This way, CFL teams would need to scout and draft defensive Canadian university players too, not just mainly OL'men.

Canadian QB's should also qualify as Nationals on the roster. This could be implemented by eliminating the 3 QB positions making them available to both National and International players.

Currently teams must have a minimum of 21 Nationals on the roster, with 16 Internationals, plus 4 Designated Internationals (who can only enter the game to replace another Int.) and 3 QB's. So the amended roster would look like this:

17 Internationals (1 added for starting QB)
6 Designated Internationals: (2 added for backup QB's)
21 Nationals

The beauty of this configuration is teams can dress a National as backup QB, which frees up 1 Designated International spot for another position on the field. Teams that start a Canadian QB would free up 1 International starting spot in another position.

This way teams aren't forced to dress Canadian QB's, but it would be advantageous for them to do so, giving them more imports available in other positions...simply by qualifying Canadian QB's as Nationals.
All-Star

PreviousNext