21%
The Eskimos firing GM Ed Hervey in April
10%
Other...
17%

Total votes : 48

Re: Poll: Worst offseason move?

by Lyle B. Style » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:28 pm

brihind88 wrote:Lyle, why do you claim some imports are dumber than P ?
Have you seen their grades ? Most have graduated college or University.
That takes some smarts.

This is almost the same as the Vince Young debate.
Judge JR after the season gets going.

No , he has never been a DC ( still feeling :oops: :oops: about that one ), but he has a long resume with CFL experience.

I get Johnny's point about 2012.

However, I have not changed my position.

I do not think Devon Claybrooks is anything special.
He just has great players on D.
In the 2016 GC, he was a deer in headlights. His TSN look shots indicated confusion.

If the Cats have great D players, it will make him look good.

Just like Steinhauer.

The main difference between Claybrooks and Reinbold is Clayman actually played the game. Reinbold is about 5'7" and 135 soaking wet (Johnny will have exact stats). He actually lost a fight to Adam Rita's finger a few years ago.

Reinbold takes on the voice of an authority figure - so unless he's challenged he'll just keep on doing what he does - LOSE!

His biggest flaw is giving all that go-jibe to his charges - but forgetting to verify whether they actually understood the message and can deploy it on the field.
All-Star

by Preisst » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:42 pm

OskeeweeneeVI wrote:Dude, if you think Johnnyoutoftheplayoffs has an obsession with Saskatchewan, then you haven't read the multitude of comments he has made against Hamilton. He's not Johnny the ticats slayer, he's Johnny the ticats layer.

hahaha....poopy for him. Sounds like one of those "fans" who is more concerned with dissing other teams and players and fans rather then to cheer for his team. Those type of posters bore me.
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:58 pm

It's only one game. But, does anyone not believe, Austin promoting Reinebold to defensive coordinator is the worst offseason move?

Expect more games like this Ticats...
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by 15_championships » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:31 am

Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:It's only one game. But, does anyone not believe, Austin promoting Reinebold to defensive coordinator is the worst offseason move?

No I dont think so, our secondary is missing Emmanuel Davis, Abdul Kanneh and Craig Butler. The run was shut down all game but the height and speed of the argo receivers just allowed them to pick on us deep all game. I wouldnt put that entirely on reinebold. The Als letting SJ Green go for basically nothing looks like the worst off season move after week 1
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:28 pm

15_championships wrote:
Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:It's only one game. But, does anyone not believe, Austin promoting Reinebold to defensive coordinator is the worst offseason move?

No I dont think so, our secondary is missing Emmanuel Davis, Abdul Kanneh and Craig Butler. The run was shut down all game but the height and speed of the argo receivers just allowed them to pick on us deep all game. I wouldnt put that entirely on reinebold. The Als letting SJ Green go for basically nothing looks like the worst off season move after week 1

I still wouldn't call the SJ move a huge mistake....hindsight, perhaps. He was at a point where it was looking like he would miss probably at least a few weeks before coming back, and with a such a massive destruction it was pretty questionable if he would return to form...that was a pretty intense injury and a remarkable turnaround. That is a big gamble on one of your highest paid players.
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 pm

depopulationINC wrote:
15_championships wrote:

I still wouldn't call the SJ move a huge mistake....hindsight, perhaps. He was at a point where it was looking like he would miss probably at least a few weeks before coming back, and with a such a massive destruction it was pretty questionable if he would return to form...that was a pretty intense injury and a remarkable turnaround. That is a big gamble on one of your highest paid players.

I completely disagree on this one. You always had a chance the Green would come back, and not miss a beat, and even if SJ Green was 80% the player he was physically, that doesn't negate his experience and he'd still have been a valuable asset. Veteran guys know how to identify blitz and where coverage lapses because of it, veteran guys know how to find the seams in zone, veteran guys know how to get calls they really shouldn't have gotten even if they have psychically begun to drop off. Keeping in mind, if he wasn't performing after the first few weeks, you could have just released him, because what they got for him, a 4th round pick and a conditional pick? It's doubtful that conditional is anywhere near the first two rounds. That's only slightly better then releasing him, and having him on the market for the whole league, and not one of your division rivals.

The only way that trade should have happened, is if it was very clear Green wasn't taking his rehab seriously (which he certainly was).
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:26 pm

Well now - the runaway leader as worst offseason move now looks like the most brilliant off-season move . . .

When Barker & Jughead were fired in Toronto - and Popp & Trestman saddled up . . . . :cowboy:
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:51 pm

-Hammer- wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:
15_championships wrote:No I dont think so, our secondary is missing Emmanuel Davis, Abdul Kanneh and Craig Butler. The run was shut down all game but the height and speed of the argo receivers just allowed them to pick on us deep all game. I wouldnt put that entirely on reinebold. The Als letting SJ Green go for basically nothing looks like the worst off season move after week 1

I completely disagree on this one. You always had a chance the Green would come back, and not miss a beat, and even if SJ Green was 80% the player he was physically, that doesn't negate his experience and he'd still have been a valuable asset. Veteran guys know how to identify blitz and where coverage lapses because of it, veteran guys know how to find the seams in zone, veteran guys know how to get calls they really shouldn't have gotten even if they have psychically begun to drop off. Keeping in mind, if he wasn't performing after the first few weeks, you could have just released him, because what they got for him, a 4th round pick and a conditional pick? It's doubtful that conditional is anywhere near the first two rounds. That's only slightly better then releasing him, and having him on the market for the whole league, and not one of your division rivals.

The only way that trade should have happened, is if it was very clear Green wasn't taking his rehab seriously (which he certainly was).

You can't simply release him...the wide speculation was that he would start the season on the 6 and that week 3 was a best case (and kudos to him for defying that)...so if he did the full 6 that gives you 3 games to evaluate him. It was a calculated decision...great player with a big wage coming off what most simply don't come back from...team is retooling and shedding salary...it is a coin flip. Not sure I would have moved him myself...but it is not like there was no understandable reasoning behind this move. And sorry...if he came back at 80%....pass.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:00 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:Well now - the runaway leader as worst offseason move now looks like the most brilliant off-season move . . .

When Barker & Jughead were fired in Toronto - and Popp & Trestman saddled up . . . . :cowboy:

Perhaps in the long run...it didn't exactly boost spectator confidence the way it was all handled though....aka no extra butts in seats. Can't really fault people for that. The hiring was solid...and they have done a good job in short order it seems....but from a fan perspective I can get why people clicked the off button.
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:05 am

depopulationINC wrote:
-Hammer- wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:I still wouldn't call the SJ move a huge mistake....hindsight, perhaps. He was at a point where it was looking like he would miss probably at least a few weeks before coming back, and with a such a massive destruction it was pretty questionable if he would return to form...that was a pretty intense injury and a remarkable turnaround. That is a big gamble on one of your highest paid players.

I completely disagree on this one. You always had a chance the Green would come back, and not miss a beat, and even if SJ Green was 80% the player he was physically, that doesn't negate his experience and he'd still have been a valuable asset. Veteran guys know how to identify blitz and where coverage lapses because of it, veteran guys know how to find the seams in zone, veteran guys know how to get calls they really shouldn't have gotten even if they have psychically begun to drop off. Keeping in mind, if he wasn't performing after the first few weeks, you could have just released him, because what they got for him, a 6th round pick and a conditional pick? It's doubtful that conditional is anywhere near the first two rounds. That's only slightly better then releasing him, and having him on the market for the whole league, and not one of your division rivals.

You can't simply release him...the wide speculation was that he would start the season on the 6 and that week 3 was a best case (and kudos to him for defying that)...so if he did the full 6 that gives you 3 games to evaluate him. It was a calculated decision...great player with a big wage coming off what most simply don't come back from...team is retooling and shedding salary...it is a coin flip. Not sure I would have moved him myself...but it is not like there was no understandable reasoning behind this move. And sorry...if he came back at 80%....pass.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

First off, I don't buy speculation on his recovery time, because frankly the trade happened in April, well before camp even started. A month before camp and two month before the season. I'm very skeptical that you couldn't make a trade closer to camp opening (and when you could have better gauged his recovery) if you were willing to part with him for two low end picks, and you will never convince me that the Als had urgency to make a deal in order to get a 6th round pick this year. This is one of the best receivers in the league we're talking about here, for a sixth round pick and a conditional pick next year (which is seldom a high end pick).

Second, while yes you would have had three games to evaluate him, you would have also had four weeks. The Als have a bye for week 7, which is even more time to recover and ample chance to re-evaluate him and shed cap if needed. You could have also made the determination to make him one of the 6 day call ups. Yes, Green is likely one of the best paid receivers in the CFL, but he is because he's a veteran with a proven track record.

Third, as far as the 80%, still worth it. Green's ability isn't just because he can catch the uncatchable, it's that he knows how to exploit defences better then many in the game, and draw more coverage then he should. It would likely be a slight net loss, given his cost, but still more then worth the gamble if he doesn't miss a step. Vets like Andy Fantuz, Rob Bagg, Chad Owens and Geroy Simon (of whom Green certainly sits among) have all proven, to be able to perform well, even after they've begun to decline psychically due to age, and recover from injuries. Speak nothing of how far medicine has advanced for players recovery and Green's age of 31.

Fourth, trading players to a division rival is rarely a good idea unless it's very clear you are coming out ahead, or you need to make a desperation trade. The reason being, is not only do you light a fire under the guy traded, but because you play them more frequently during the season, and their success effects your playoff chances far more then trading with someone in the other division.

I'm sorry, but you don't let a talent like SJ Green go, yet alone for low end draft picks. Especially when you can easily sit on him and are sure he is still worth something, and especially not to a division rival.

EDIT: Turns out they got him for a 6th round, not a 4th round, plus some more commentary.
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 am

depopulationINC wrote:
Lyle B. Style wrote:Well now - the runaway leader as worst offseason move now looks like the most brilliant off-season move . . .

Perhaps in the long run...it didn't exactly boost spectator confidence the way it was all handled though....aka no extra butts in seats. Can't really fault people for that. The hiring was solid...and they have done a good job in short order it seems....but from a fan perspective I can get why people clicked the off button.

I might be slotted a 'dreamer' but my prognosis for the 2017 Argos isn't good.

I've been around - they've tried a bunch of stuff at the dome and now at BMO. The dome was uncomfortable, not built for football but really convenient from an access point of view. (close to bus lines, great for after work parties, etc.). Jays routinely draw 35,000 to 45,000 for a very mediocre pro baseball team.

I think the best scenario for Toronto is winning some games, winning back some old customers and building new customers. Perhaps by mid-season drawing 17,500 to 19,000 paid buttheads.

Ricky Ray staying alive and continued Trestman magic, combined with some genuinely exciting new athletes and I suspect they could draw around 21,000 to 22,000 for their playoff encounter.

All the above would be incredible progress - no matter how western teams like Winnipeg and Regina would fold within a couple years if their crowd counts topped out at 20,000
:cowboy:
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:28 am

Lyle B. Style wrote:
I might be slotted a 'dreamer' but my prognosis for the 2017 Argos isn't good.

I've been around - they've tried a bunch of stuff at the dome and now at BMO. The dome was uncomfortable, not built for football but really convenient from an access point of view. (close to bus lines, great for after work parties, etc.). Jays routinely draw 35,000 to 45,000 for a very mediocre pro baseball team.

I think the best scenario for Toronto is winning some games, winning back some old customers and building new customers. Perhaps by mid-season drawing 17,500 to 19,000 paid buttheads.

Ricky Ray staying alive and continued Trestman magic, combined with some genuinely exciting new athletes and I suspect they could draw around 21,000 to 22,000 for their playoff encounter.

All the above would be incredible progress - no matter how western teams like Winnipeg and Regina would fold within a couple years if their crowd counts topped out at 20,000
:cowboy:

But BMO is even more convenient than the dome, thousands of parking spots not only beside the south entrance but across Lakeshore at Ontario Place and underground at the convention centre.
Try driving to the dome and finding a parking spot. I parked at Ontario place on Sunday and was out on to the highway in minutes.
The train stops at BMO stadium, the TTC buses also stop there and there is a subway within walking distance.
Lots of bars and restaurants at Liberty Village.

19,000 by mid-season? I don't even think a winning team could do that. If their biggest draw every year are the Ticats, and there were 13,000 for that game and 3k to 5k were Ticat fans, I don't have much hope that they will average 10k this season.
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Bringing in the human mouth organ, Kavis Reed might be deemed the worst move NOT ON THE OP'S CHART.

Montreal seems to becoming a real town of last resort

1. Kavis mounting up
2. Retaining a below average to average head coach in JacqueLaLane.
3. Rescuing Drowsy Joe Mack from over-caffinating at the Free coffee machine located in the heart of Hobo Village, Raleigh, NC
4. This weeks hot move - bringing Eddie Haskell, Jr. (Drew Willy) aboard from his latest film project "WASHOUT CITY"
All-Star

by brianjoxx » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:58 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:Bringing in the human mouth organ, Kavis Reed might be deemed the worst move NOT ON THE OP'S CHART.

Montreal seems to becoming a real town of last resort

1. Kavis mounting up
2. Retaining a below average to average head coach in JacqueLaLane.
3. Rescuing Drowsy Joe Mack from over-caffinating at the Free coffee machine located in the heart of Hobo Village, Raleigh, NC
4. This weeks hot move - bringing Eddie Haskell, Jr. (Drew Willy) aboard from his latest film project "WASHOUT CITY"

Have to agree totally BUT!!! Stamps hire Lyle to sell BEER to seated patrons. This is a big disappointment. We need our beer quick and cold.
Starter

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:59 am

Hey Ticat fans!

Still loving that DC Reinebold?!

:lol:

69 points given up in two games. Expect more of the same. :cowboy:
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

PreviousNext