Argos acquire SJ Green from Als

Re: Argos acquire SJ Green from Als

by Aerial » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:04 pm

I've always liked Green, goes up hard for the ball. If the knee is rehabing as well as they say, he is an excellent addition for the Boatmen for sure.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:00 am

This trade sucks! :x

Kavis Reed is the new Brendan Taman... :roll: So far, he has been bamboozled TWICE by Eric Tillman, and once by Jim Popp. :thdn:
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
All-Star

by brihind88 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:03 am

Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:This trade sucks! :x

Kavis Reed is the new Brendan Taman... :roll: So far, he has been bamboozled TWICE by Eric Tillman, and once by Jim Popp. :thdn:

Kavis Reed ????

Please sir, some respect.

That is Captain Consequences to Johnny.
All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:07 am

brihind88 wrote:

Kavis Reed ????

If he keeps up this kind of work, he will be known as Captain CLOWNsequences! :D
All-Star

by Liquor Kitty » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:37 am

Aerial wrote:I've always liked Green, goes up hard for the ball. If the knee is rehabing as well as they say, he is an excellent addition for the Boatmen for sure.

X2 ... class player.
Veteran

by EastVanMark » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:46 am

ArgoT wrote:
Grover wrote:Popp profiting and taking full advantage of his terrible Salary Cap Management. :?

Nik Lewis is not happy with this one

Nik Lewis‏Verified account @nikel18 12m12 minutes ago

ImageImageImage

Which reminds me the SMS should be going up to a minimum $6M annually.
I hope this will be on the players association top agenda during the next discussion with the league.

It should be there already but the players absolutely blew it during the last bargaining session. They also need to negotiate something to halt the money saving cuts and trades that seem to happen with every team that does damage to fanbases. SJ Green is a fan favorite and one of the few recognizable stars in Montreal and if he goes off and does well in Toronto while Montreal essentially got a bag of beans for him doesn't exactly make the team (or league) look great.
All-Star

by Grover » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 pm

I read this on the Al's site(Okie)

Kavis did a very classy move with Green to accommodate him as much as possible. :thup:
F/A's agents will take note of this kind of good treatment, this is after Green getting a $50K bonus last month

From Herb Zurkowsky:

While (S.J.) Green’s rehabilitation has progressed nicely and his recovery’s on schedule — he has vowed to be ready for the start of training camp on May 28 — there’s much uncertainty as he moves forward, which is understandable.

He’s also scheduled to earn $250,000 this season and, once he passed his physical, would have been asked to restructure his contract. Indeed, Green admitted he was approached by Reed this month at mini-camp to take a pay cut, but the two couldn’t reach an agreement.

Once that scenario played out, a trade became the next most plausible option. The organization was transparent with Green throughout the process, so he wasn’t caught by surprise. If he were healthy, the return from Toronto would have been greater.

“I’ll be honest, I’m excited. I feel rejuvenated already and I wasn’t caught off-guard,” Green told the Montreal Gazette from his winter home in Tampa. “Kavis and I sat down last week. He gave me the lay of the land. He was courteous enough to allow me to have some input on my decision. We came to the conclusion the best decision was for me to be traded. He was kind enough to trade me … to a place I know I’ll feel comfortable.”

Green wouldn’t comment on whether the Argos will now or eventually restructure his contract, other than to admit he and Popp have spoken and he feels comfortable moving forward.

“It’s the business. Kavis has to run his business how he sees fit,” Green said. “Ultimately, I have to run the S.J. Green enterprise.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/footb ... raft-picks
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:34 pm

-Hammer- wrote:This is a joke of a trade, and another blantant star for a bag of beans trade. It's shades of the Ricky Ray trade all over again. You just got a hall of fame reciever for picks. Even if that conditional is a 1st round pick, this is lopsided.

So unless SJ Green is a broken shell after his injury, Toronto came out light years ahead on this one. If SJ due to his injury has become an average vet, then this trade will be about square.

Oh? We have a 250k contract on a player who had a devastating injury that will take a lot to come back from, who the talk of the town during CFL week was that as well as he was doing he was unlikely to be in game shape to start the season. We have no idea how SJ will look after that injury. This was not one bad tear, he destroyed his knee as a whole. I hope he is 100% or near, but that is a lot of contract if he is not. If he comes back a month into the season that only gives a few games to decide if you are keeping or cutting. Montreal was also reportedly really heavy in cap in 2016, and while they have trimmed a lot this was a huge contract for them and frees up options.

I am sure this was not an easy decision, but it seems pretty understandable. The Als added Bailey and the Olafioye move, along with a couple others. Something had to give and this frees up cash
All-Star

by HfxTC » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Popp knows its likely that SJ won't be able to go through camp and then he will hit him with a salary cut.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by brihind88 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:48 pm

Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:
brihind88 wrote:

Kavis Reed ????

If he keeps up this kind of work, he will be known as Captain CLOWNsequences! :D

AHE - RESPECT HIS AWTHAWRATAW :D
All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:01 am

brihind88 wrote:
Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:
brihind88 wrote:Kavis Reed ????

AHE - RESPECT HIS AWTHAWRATAW :D

Oh! Brian is a Cartman fan! :thup:

All-Star

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:03 am

HfxTC wrote:Popp knows its likely that SJ won't be able to go through camp and then he will hit him with a salary cut.

Getting players to take a pay cut is Popp's specialty. :roll:

Whenever a player is summoned to Popp's office, he knows he will have to trim down his lifestyle...
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:50 am

While Poppu lives large in his Confederation era mansion.

Ahh! The joys of the CFL :lol:
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by GHT120 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:42 pm

EastVanMark wrote:... They also need to negotiate something to halt the money saving cuts and trades that seem to happen with every team that does damage to fanbases.

The only "something" that would do that is guaranteed contracts.

The effect of that would be more one year contracts to protect teams against performance drops (especially for the older veterans in whom fans are the most invested), lower salaries (because you can't cut non-performers and need cap space to make in-season changes) and even more use of the injured list to hide salary to save cap space .

Fanbases would still be damaged, now by the higher turnover resulting from one year contracts and/or the frustration of teams not being able to re-jig/re-build because of the dead cap space caused by guaranteed deals for under-performing players.
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:51 pm

depopulationINC wrote:
-Hammer- wrote:This is a joke of a trade, and another blantant star for a bag of beans trade. It's shades of the Ricky Ray trade all over again. You just got a hall of fame reciever for picks. Even if that conditional is a 1st round pick, this is lopsided.

So unless SJ Green is a broken shell after his injury, Toronto came out light years ahead on this one. If SJ due to his injury has become an average vet, then this trade will be about square.

Oh? We have a 250k contract on a player who had a devastating injury that will take a lot to come back from, who the talk of the town during CFL week was that as well as he was doing he was unlikely to be in game shape to start the season. We have no idea how SJ will look after that injury. This was not one bad tear, he destroyed his knee as a whole. I hope he is 100% or near, but that is a lot of contract if he is not. If he comes back a month into the season that only gives a few games to decide if you are keeping or cutting. Montreal was also reportedly really heavy in cap in 2016, and while they have trimmed a lot this was a huge contract for them and frees up options.

I am sure this was not an easy decision, but it seems pretty understandable. The Als added Bailey and the Olafioye move, along with a couple others. Something had to give and this frees up cash

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. If he is even 80% of what he was physically, the Argos came out ahead. SJ Green isn't just a highlight receiver due to his physical ability, he's a veteran receiver who knows where to be, how to draw calls and how to find the seams in a defence. Even if he's a downgrade from superstar, to good, the Argos (who pretty much fired their receivers last year) now have a likely high performance part of their offence, who the Als have to play three games against next season.

If Montreal is having cap issues, that's another issue entirely (although how the heck that would be the case, would confound me) but even still, you don't let a player like SJ Green go before the season starts for picks. Especially when your team is last in passing yards last season and highest in sacks allowed. Getting a decent O.Lineman (which the Als desperately need to shore up) would have made more sense then a pair of picks.

As I said, unless Green is a shell of his former self (and the Als might have some inside knowledge on this one, but I'm skeptical) this trade is a steal by the Argos.
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

Previous