CFL New Commish Candidates?

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by KevinRiley2 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Aerial wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:
Argofan_1000 wrote:...Madani says it is not a coveted position...

I'm sure that's true. After all, if you had a good job, would you want another job where you have to please 9 bosses and you'd be lucky to get thru your term? I wouldn't.

True enough Kevin. But honestly, Bettman makes a whole heck of a lot more than the CFL commissioner so I'm sure he's inclined to play more the status quo with what owners want. Coveted simply means amount of money you make in many respects.

That's fair. Heck, I'd do it for a year or two, if they asked. :)
All-Star

by Preisst » Fri May 12, 2017 1:03 pm

HfxTC wrote:
Taleback wrote:Still think it's going to be Jim Hopson. What he accomplished in his tenure is second to none for V.P.'s IMO.

You want to send Hopson in Toronto board rooms ???

Care to expound on this?
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by GHT120 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:15 am

Argofan_1000 wrote:30 applicants and Madani says it is not a coveted position? Also I remember the job was paying 1 million when J.O. was appointed commissioner.

1st JOB of the commissioner is to find out who in the League office is telling Madani everything and then shoo_ this guy.

By "coveted" he is referring to amongst those that the CFL might identify as qualified to do the job not simply those that want the title/paycheque.
All-Star

by GHT120 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:18 am

bowl450 wrote:... IMO the next commissioner needs to be,
visible,
CFL, knowledgeable
a promoter of the CFL.
mediator,
negotiator,
legal savvy
marketing guru.
business administrator.

in todays world finding a suitable candidate who is proficient at all of the above mentioned skills, is a difficult task.

"CFL knowledgeable" is the least of those qualities.
All-Star

by rhymes with orange » Sat May 13, 2017 12:19 pm

GHT120 wrote:
visible,
CFL, knowledgeable
a promoter of the CFL.
mediator,
negotiator,
legal savvy
marketing guru.
business administrator.

in todays world finding a suitable candidate who is proficient at all of the above mentioned skills, is a difficult task.

Maybe so, but to me it inexorably linked to "visibility" and "promoter of the CFL." In other words, it's not good to have a guy mingling with the fans and media, extolling the virtues of the league if he doesn't know at least the basics of the CFL and its rich history. And I never got that feeling that Orridge did, despite the mawkish tale of sitting in a living room with his Dad in which he leaned over to young Jeffrey sitting beside him and said, "you see Son? That's (an African American QB) what I love about Canada. If you're qualified and capable you'll get an opportunity." :roll:

It's really not that hard. You could get a crash course in the history of the CFL and the nuances of each city/fan base in one day. Heck, give him the "CFL Traditions" DVD boxed set to go home and watch and he'd almost be up-to-speed!
Proud B.C. Lions season ticket holder since 1995.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:58 pm

GHT120 wrote:
visible,
CFL, knowledgeable
a promoter of the CFL.
mediator,
negotiator,
legal savvy
marketing guru.
business administrator.

Agree. The rest are good.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:09 am

rhymes with orange wrote:
GHT120 wrote:
visible,
CFL, knowledgeable
a promoter of the CFL.
mediator,
negotiator,
legal savvy
marketing guru.
business administrator.

Maybe so, but to me it inexorably linked to "visibility" and "promoter of the CFL." In other words, it's not good to have a guy mingling with the fans and media, extolling the virtues of the league if he doesn't know at least the basics of the CFL and its rich history. And I never got that feeling that Orridge did, despite the mawkish tale of sitting in a living room with his Dad in which he leaned over to young Jeffrey sitting beside him and said, "you see Son? That's (an African American QB) what I love about Canada. If you're qualified and capable you'll get an opportunity." :roll:

It's really not that hard. You could get a crash course in the history of the CFL and the nuances of each city/fan base in one day. Heck, give him the "CFL Traditions" DVD boxed set to go home and watch and he'd almost be up-to-speed!

But Cohon, Wright, Tory, none of them knew football. The commish won't be "mingling with the fans and the media", that's not their job. The commish's job will be to deal with contracts, doing business with advertisers etc
Bettman with the NHL didn't know hockey, the MLS commish was ex-NFL and didn't know soccer.
Let the league hire a marketing guy like Pinball to promote the league and let the commish do his job.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:46 am

slimjim2 wrote:But Cohon, Wright, Tory, none of them knew football. The commish won't be "mingling with the fans and the media", that's not their job. The commish's job will be to deal with contracts, doing business with advertisers etc
Bettman with the NHL didn't know hockey, the MLS commish was ex-NFL and didn't know soccer.
Let the league hire a marketing guy like Pinball to promote the league and let the commish do his job.

Yup.

P.S. I'm getting scared because I've been agreeing with Jim a LOT lately.
All-Star

by rhymes with orange » Sun May 14, 2017 12:25 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
rhymes with orange wrote:Maybe so, but to me it inexorably linked to "visibility" and "promoter of the CFL." In other words, it's not good to have a guy mingling with the fans and media, extolling the virtues of the league if he doesn't know at least the basics of the CFL and its rich history. And I never got that feeling that Orridge did, despite the mawkish tale of sitting in a living room with his Dad in which he leaned over to young Jeffrey sitting beside him and said, "you see Son? That's (an African American QB) what I love about Canada. If you're qualified and capable you'll get an opportunity." :roll:

But Cohon, Wright, Tory, none of them knew football. The commish won't be "mingling with the fans and the media", that's not their job. The commish's job will be to deal with contracts, doing business with advertisers etc

Hey, I didn't say "mingling with the fans and the media" would be a BIG part of their job....but it is part of the job. In fact, the "State Of The League" address at Grey Cup is a pivotal annual function for the commissioner to provide media/fans the league's vision. He must answer questions about the CFL and sorry, he has to do his homework here. That is just one isolated example (albeit a pretty big one). He must also travel to each city throughout the year, and go on radio stations, glad hand with fans, sit and watch games. Perhaps those other guys didn't "know football," but they learned it faster than Mr. Orridge:

http://www.rodpedersen.com/2015/11/the- ... ie_30.html (scroll about half-way down....BTW, the 2017 address was only marginally better).
Proud B.C. Lions season ticket holder since 1995.
All-Star

by jamie » Sun May 14, 2017 12:48 pm

It seems to me that the ONLY thing that marks a good commissioner is their ability to enable the owners to make greater profits and ability to foster a climate that makes expansion and escalating franchise values possible.
Most successful commissioners in the other leagues have come from inside the offices of the big 3-NFL, NBA and MLB and are usually lawyers.
Even Cohon, while not a lawyer, worked for NBA and MLB.
All-Star

by argonaut11xx » Sun May 14, 2017 3:49 pm

I'd love to see PM Stephen Harper take on the role.

He is over qualified, and loves the game.

#draftharper
BUILD THAT WALL...between TORONTO & HAMILTON...then MAKE HAMILTON PAY FOR IT
Starter

by rcon » Sun May 14, 2017 4:03 pm

argonaut11xx wrote:I'd love to see PM Stephen Harper take on the role.

#draftharper

Let me think about that one...........ahhhhhhhhh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
All-Star

by argonaut11xx » Sun May 14, 2017 4:14 pm

rcon wrote:

#draftharper

Its not a political thing, he is very well connected, well respected, can manage through good times, or a financial crisis.

Plus it would be a publicity boon for the league.
BUILD THAT WALL...between TORONTO & HAMILTON...then MAKE HAMILTON PAY FOR IT
Starter

by KevinRiley2 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:41 pm

argonaut11xx wrote:
rcon wrote:

#draftharper

Its not a political thing, he is very well connected, well respected, can manage through good times, or a financial crisis.

Plus it would be a publicity boon for the league.

Harper would be wrong for the job.
All-Star

by BCRiderFan » Mon May 15, 2017 12:03 am

#draftharper

Terrible choice, he was so divisive (because he was one of the worst Prime Ministers in history) that more than half of the people hate him already. Zero chance.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions
Veteran