CFL New Commish Candidates?

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by jamie » Tue May 09, 2017 12:11 am

Other than "name recognition" I don't see anything that Suitor has done to warrant even a sniff.

The only ex player of profile I see as a possible candidate, one I've mentioned, before is Jock Climie. He's an ex player, connected to the sponsor and a labour lawyer with a firm that represents employers for the most part. That said I really have no idea what these owners really want and what powers they will invest in a commish.
But one thing to remember is these owners have a very wide circle of possible candidates, non of which we have ever heard of.
All-Star

by jamie » Tue May 09, 2017 12:29 am

I was surprised at Climie's success as a player when looking it up. I had thought he was more of a journeyman actually. He finished with 627 receptions, averaged over 15 yards per catch. Was an Eastern all star 3 times and was the Nominee for Best Canadian for the East once.

He was very durable..7 of 11 seasons saw him play at least 16 games. At the time of his retirement he was 20th in career yards for receivers. Four years over 1000 yards ( 3 over 1200). Had 56 TDs. Pretty solid.
All-Star

by rhymes with orange » Tue May 09, 2017 12:31 am

Xvys wrote:Another bonus is Suits is from B.C. When was the last time the CFL had a western-born commissioner? The CFL is huge in the west, why do they always hire some eastern or foreign guy who gets swallowed up in the Toronto bubble?...(which was one of the few failings of M. Cohen as commissioner.)

^^^ Very true! I have always wondered this myself.

Sheesh, we have about as much luck getting a Commissioner's job as you guys do winning the Safeway Touchdown To Win. :lol:
Proud B.C. Lions season ticket holder since 1995.
All-Star

by EastVanMark » Tue May 09, 2017 2:27 pm

rhymes with orange wrote:Sheesh, we have about as much luck getting a Commissioner's job as you guys do winning the Safeway Touchdown To Win. :lol:

Wow! Now that is hard. But I still think landing the commissioners job is easier than winning the "Touchdown to Win" :wink:
All-Star

by Grover » Thu May 11, 2017 9:18 am

From SSK's beat guy Rod Pedersen
http://www.rodpedersen.com/2017/05/rods ... it_11.html

5 - THE COMMISH SEARCH: Don't forget the Canadian Football League is still without a Commissioner. Sportsnet's Arash Madani reported on Tuesday's show that the CFL received 30 applications and from there they'll whittle them down to a shortlist, then the finalists, and hopefully we'll have a replacement for Jeffrey L. Orridge in June.

Madani further reported that, from he's been told, this is NOT a star-studded field of resumes and that this is no longer a coveted position. While the NHL has had the same Commissioner since 1993, the CFL has had at least six in that time period.

As far as names go, no one seems to know and if they do, they aren't saying.
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by VICIOUSCIRCLE » Thu May 11, 2017 3:26 pm

Thoughts on Scott Ackles for New Commish.
12 year BC Lions Seasons Ticket Holder. :rockin:
Starter

by jamie » Thu May 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Interesting.

You want to make a case for him VC?
All-Star

by VICIOUSCIRCLE » Thu May 11, 2017 5:00 pm

He's run a few Grey Cup Festivals, he's worked with and for teams. He has business acumen, he's the presently the Vice President of Sales, Marketing & Communications at Paladin Security Group Ltd. He understands and loves our game, as well as the business of our game. He also i'm sure learned a lot from his father R.I.P. Bobby. Just my 2 cents worth.
12 year BC Lions Seasons Ticket Holder. :rockin:
Starter

by EastVanMark » Thu May 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Grover wrote:From SSK's beat guy Rod Pedersen

5 - THE COMMISH SEARCH: Don't forget the Canadian Football League is still without a Commissioner. Sportsnet's Arash Madani reported on Tuesday's show that the CFL received 30 applications and from there they'll whittle them down to a shortlist, then the finalists, and hopefully we'll have a replacement for Jeffrey L. Orridge in June.

Madani further reported that, from he's been told, this is NOT a star-studded field of resumes and that this is no longer a coveted position. While the NHL has had the same Commissioner since 1993, the CFL has had at least six in that time period.

The problem is when you get to people that command that level of salary, they can afford to be picky when it comes to job choice. And nobody in their right mind would take this job knowing that if you run afoul of 2 people, (some would argue only 1 :wink: ) you're job might be on the line. Its simply not worth the energy. They would be better off running a large organization with a large board of governors where even if you **** off a few people (which is almost unavoidable in these situations,) you still have the number of votes you need in the boardroom to get things done. This is simply not the case with the CFL.

The people at that level who agree to this job are ones that are strategically looking to raise their profile for future employment that this position does offer. Sad but true.
All-Star

by Argofan_1000 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:57 pm

Grover wrote:From SSK's beat guy Rod Pedersen

30 applicants and Madani says it is not a coveted position? Also I remember the job was paying 1 million when J.O. was appointed commissioner.

1st JOB of the commissioner is to find out who in the League office is telling Madani everything and then shoo_ this guy.
Veteran

by KevinRiley2 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Argofan_1000 wrote:...Madani says it is not a coveted position...

I'm sure that's true. After all, if you had a good job, would you want another job where you have to please 9 bosses and you'd be lucky to get thru your term? I wouldn't.
All-Star

by Taleback » Thu May 11, 2017 11:47 pm

IMO, Hopson is the natural fit. He has every experience requirement that are being put out here, Tremendous success at all levels of these requirements, and I gotta think the utmost respect from whatever board is left from his day a few years ago. What he accomplished in Sask. will end in an induction into some plaza of honor, and it will probably be builders.
All-Star

by bowl450 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:12 am

the next CFL commissioner will be the 8th commissioner in 20 years,

Jeffrey L. Orridge (New York, NY)--- Apr 29, 2015 – Present------------2 years and counting
Jim Lawson 1 (Toronto)---------------- Jan 9, 2015 – Apr 28, 2015--------3 months, 2 weeks
Mark Cohon (Toronto)----------------- Apr 17, 2007 – Jan 9, 2015--------7 years, 8 months
Tom E. Wright (Toronto)-------------- Nov 23, 2002 – Nov 20, 2006----- 3 years, 12 months
David Braley 1 (Burlington)---------- Mar 20, 2002 – Nov 22, 2002----- 8 months, 1 week
Michael R. Lysko (Toronto)----------- Nov 1, 2000 – Mar 19, 2002-------1 year, 4 months
John H. Tory 1 (Toronto)---------------Feb 2, 1997 – Oct 31, 2000---------3 years, 9 months

coveted, maybe ?
long term job security, no.

maybe time to think outside the box and breakdown the commissioners role to having the commissioner as the spokesperson and figurehead and have the appropriate people in the Commissioners office attend to their specialties ?

IMO the next commissioner needs to be,
visible,
CFL, knowledgeable
a promoter of the CFL.
mediator,
negotiator,
legal savvy
marketing guru.
business administrator.

in todays world finding a suitable candidate who is proficient at all of the above mentioned skills, is a difficult task.
Veteran

by Aerial » Fri May 12, 2017 6:48 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:
Argofan_1000 wrote:...Madani says it is not a coveted position...

I'm sure that's true. After all, if you had a good job, would you want another job where you have to please 9 bosses and you'd be lucky to get thru your term? I wouldn't.

True enough Kevin. But honestly, Bettman makes a whole heck of a lot more than the CFL commissioner so I'm sure he's inclined to play more the status quo with what owners want. Coveted simply means amount of money you make in many respects.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:43 am

bowl450 wrote:the next CFL commissioner will be the 8th commissioner in 20 years,

Jeffrey L. Orridge (New York, NY)--- Apr 29, 2015 – Present------------2 years and counting
Jim Lawson 1 (Toronto)---------------- Jan 9, 2015 – Apr 28, 2015--------3 months, 2 weeks
Mark Cohon (Toronto)----------------- Apr 17, 2007 – Jan 9, 2015--------7 years, 8 months
Tom E. Wright (Toronto)-------------- Nov 23, 2002 – Nov 20, 2006----- 3 years, 12 months
David Braley 1 (Burlington)---------- Mar 20, 2002 – Nov 22, 2002----- 8 months, 1 week
Michael R. Lysko (Toronto)----------- Nov 1, 2000 – Mar 19, 2002-------1 year, 4 months
John H. Tory 1 (Toronto)---------------Feb 2, 1997 – Oct 31, 2000---------3 years, 9 months

coveted, maybe ?
long term job security, no.

maybe time to think outside the box and breakdown the commissioners role to having the commissioner as the spokesperson and figurehead and have the appropriate people in the Commissioners office attend to their specialties ?

IMO the next commissioner needs to be,
visible,
CFL, knowledgeable
a promoter of the CFL.
mediator,
negotiator,
legal savvy
marketing guru.
business administrator.

in todays world finding a suitable candidate who is proficient at all of the above mentioned skills, is a difficult task.

And your list shows that in the past 20 years no Commish was previously involved with football, or was "CFL knowledgeable"
Just like Bettmen with the NHL, he had no experience with hockey.

The same for the MLS Commish - Doug Garber who wasn't involved with soccer previously:
Garber has spent his entire career in the sports industry, working in a variety of capacities in marketing, television and league administration. Before joining MLS, Garber was with the National Football League for 16 years.

The CFL will get someone similar to a Garber or Bettmen with sports management, marketing, television etc
It won't be an ex-player or anyone with any knowledge of CFL football.
Maybe someone from the NFL
Maybe someone from a company like MLSE
All-Star

PreviousNext