CFL New Commish Candidates?

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by PTBO Dave » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:00 pm

Mr. wrote:Anybody know much about this guy?

http://www.tsn.ca/report-parrish-intere ... t-1.728659


Interesting candidate....seems to have a strong sports and media background, but so did Orridge.

At least this will give us something else to talk about as the season approaches. :thup:
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 am

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by jamie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:52 pm

yeah...he was a disaster at Basketball Canada. Fired Jay Triano in 06. Hired the idiot Leo Rautins. Steve Nash disavowed involvement immediately. Program was a wreck. Stay away.....far, far away.

They finally fired Parrish in 14-15. Nash and Triano ...back involved. Trending upwards again.
All-Star
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: CFL New Commish Candaidates?

by GHT120 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:52 pm

pikk wrote:
GHT120 wrote:
pikk wrote:Really? So a less qualified man than a better qualified woman?
How very "old school".

No ,it is a men's league and take this gender equality crap and you know what. We just went PC by picking the 1st black man to lead a pro sport and that failed. Time to get a true football man in place.

WOW
:roll:
CFL needs a business/marketing whiz ...... football knowledge/experience is a nice to have, not a necessity.
All-Star
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by ArgoT » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:40 pm

jamie wrote:yeah...he was a disaster at Basketball Canada. Fired Jay Triano in 06. Hired the idiot Leo Rautins. Steve Nash disavowed involvement immediately. Program was a wreck. Stay away.....far, far away.

They finally fired Parrish in 14-15. Nash and Triano ...back involved. Trending upwards again.



I don't like this guy either.
I remember his anti CFL rants while with the Toronto Star years ago.
The more I think about it now, if he is interested like he was the last time Jock Climie would be ideal.
All-Star
 
Posts: 4497
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:14 pm

Re: CFL New Commish Candaidates?

by slimjim2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:18 am

pikk wrote:
No ,it is a men's league and take this gender equality crap and you know what. We just went PC by picking the 1st black man to lead a pro sport and that failed. Time to get a true football man in place.


Are you blaming his failure because he is black?
You think they hired him because he's black? The guy was hired because he had negotiated the CBC Olympic rights and the FIFA world cup rights. He's a business expert and CEO type leader just like Cohon was, Tom Wright and John Tory.

Did he fail as the commish? what did you want him to do?
The TV rights contract is not up for renewal for another 5 years, no commish can solve the problems with the lack of CFL support in Toronto.
What do you expect a new commish to accomplish?
All-Star
 
Posts: 1987
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by EastVanMark » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:35 am

jamie wrote:yeah...he was a disaster at Basketball Canada. Fired Jay Triano in 06. Hired the idiot Leo Rautins. Steve Nash disavowed involvement immediately. Program was a wreck. Stay away.....far, far away.

They finally fired Parrish in 14-15. Nash and Triano ...back involved. Trending upwards again.


Yikes! Ya, thanks, but no thanks. Basketball Canada was a disaster when he was around.
All-Star
 
Posts: 3266
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:47 pm
Location: East Van

Re: CFL New Commish Candaidates?

by brianjoxx » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:19 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
pikk wrote:
No ,it is a men's league and take this gender equality crap and you know what. We just went PC by picking the 1st black man to lead a pro sport and that failed. Time to get a true football man in place.


Are you blaming his failure because he is black?
You think they hired him because he's black? The guy was hired because he had negotiated the CBC Olympic rights and the FIFA world cup rights. He's a business expert and CEO type leader just like Cohon was, Tom Wright and John Tory.

Did he fail as the commish? what did you want him to do?
The TV rights contract is not up for renewal for another 5 years, no commish can solve the problems with the lack of CFL support in Toronto.
What do you expect a new commish to accomplish?


He was a TOTAL failure. Highly educated and good business man. BUT there has been no real major changes past two years. Needed is a commish who is in the communities/radio/ TV/ news papers selling a great product.
Last 5 years CFL is pointing down words. Go to the local pub they turn CFL games off for NFL or Soccer.

We need a PR Guy. Hey wants Trudeau doing. He can sale anything. Point is charismatic person WANTED.
Starter
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:39 am
Location: vernon,bc

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by jamie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:25 pm

What?
All-Star
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: CFL New Commish Candaidates?

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:53 pm

brianjoxx wrote:Highly educated and good business man. BUT there has been no real major changes past two years. Needed is a commish who is in the communities/radio/ TV/ news papers selling a great product.

We need a PR Guy. Point is charismatic person WANTED.

Agree.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 8860
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by jamie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:55 pm

who do we need to PR?
All-Star
 
Posts: 1325
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:34 pm

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by yougottabekidding » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Here's what we need, not necessarily in order of importance.

Someone with.....

1. Extensive knowledge of football in general and the Canadian game in particular and its history, development and place in Canadian Society and Culture. Someone who has played, coached and/or officiated to an elite level in Canada, but not necessarily CFL as NOT being paid to be in football is an honourable and desirable quality.
2. Extensive Marketing/Sales experience, preferably in Sports Marketing, Sponsorship and/or Broadcasting.
3. A deep understanding of the need for fan development, particularly among younger demographics to ensure a healthy future for the League
4. Further to point # 3, the candidate should display an intimate knowledge of social media, it's uses, implementation and opportunities.
5. Extensive Board Experience who understands the logistics of working with nine masters with different agendas and the ability to say "no" to these masters when the hill is worth dying on.
6. Charismatic and outgoing and willing to travel far and wide to market the game to fans, media and businesses alike.
7. The candidate must have thick skin.
8. Leadership abilities and a reasonable and achievable plan for the future...where will the League be in 10 years (read expansion!)?
9. The candidate does NOT have to be currently based in Toronto. Given Western Canadian Markets have long been the anchor of the League, a strong candidate from Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba would be more than welcome.
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:01 pm
Location: Kits

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by HfxTC » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Image


$89.99
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 34789
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 10:09 pm
Location: Halifax

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by GHT120 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:33 pm

yougottabekidding wrote:Here's what we need, not necessarily in order of importance.

Someone with.....

1. Extensive knowledge of football in general and the Canadian game in particular and its history, development and place in Canadian Society and Culture. Someone who has played, coached and/or officiated to an elite level in Canada, but not necessarily CFL as NOT being paid to be in football is an honourable and desirable quality.
2. Extensive Marketing/Sales experience, preferably in Sports Marketing, Sponsorship and/or Broadcasting.
3. A deep understanding of the need for fan development, particularly among younger demographics to ensure a healthy future for the League
4. Further to point # 3, the candidate should display an intimate knowledge of social media, it's uses, implementation and opportunities.
5. Extensive Board Experience who understands the logistics of working with nine masters with different agendas and the ability to say "no" to these masters when the hill is worth dying on.
6. Charismatic and outgoing and willing to travel far and wide to market the game to fans, media and businesses alike.
7. The candidate must have thick skin.
8. Leadership abilities and a reasonable and achievable plan for the future...where will the League be in 10 years (read expansion!)?
9. The candidate does NOT have to be currently based in Toronto. Given Western Canadian Markets have long been the anchor of the League, a strong candidate from Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba would be more than welcome.


Good qualities/criteria, but I would drop #1 to #9.

Much as many/most fans hate him, Gary Bettman has been NHL Commissioner for 23 years (so he is doing something the owners like) and basically he knew almost nothing about hockey when he was hired (some would say he still doesn't).
All-Star
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by Aerial » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:10 pm

And Bettman is about as anti-charismatic as it gets I would say but yup, owners seem to love what he is doing. The CFL is a different kettle of fish though. I think no. 9 on the list of yougot...kidding is interesting and dead on with the candidate not having to be currently based in Toronto. Take the best candidate.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 2969
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:22 pm
Location: Hamilton, ON

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by PTBO Dave » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:38 pm

HfxTC wrote:Image


$89.99


#10. Can't demand too high a salary. :D
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 am

PreviousNext

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 77 guests