CFL New Commish Candidates?

Re: CFL New Commish Candaidates?

by depopulationINC » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:36 am

It would be interesting to know if they thought every NHL team was making money every year lol
People like this are just plain odd.
good summary/recap though
All-Star

by HfxTC » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:38 am

What is even more interesting is how did pro sports franchise convince the world it is a "right" to make a profit every year...
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:02 am

depopulationINC wrote:good summary/recap though

Thanks, mang.
HfxTC wrote:What is even more interesting is how did pro sports franchise convince the world it is a "right" to make a profit every year...

None of it is relevant to the PTS crowd. They will dump on the CFL no matter what.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:06 pm

depopulationINC wrote:It would be interesting to know if they thought every NHL team was making money every year lol

With the huge Rogers TV contract and the NBC contract they are all probably making money.

Maybe the CFL could hire Bettman on a part time basis as the Commish. With his talent he could re-negotiate the CFL contract or approach Rogers. :?
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:19 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:It would be interesting to know if they thought every NHL team was making money every year lol

With the huge Rogers TV contract and the NBC contract they are all probably making money.

Not everyone.

Vegas, even with about 16K season ticket holders and will be sold out for years to come are expected to struggle as they'll have a tough time making it big on a local deal

http://nypost.com/2017/04/08/las-vegas- ... ia-rights/

Foley paid the NHL a $500 million expansion fee to secure the team, which starts playing next season. If he can only attract $10 million annually from a regional sports network, the team could lose more than $30 million a year, the hockey executive figured.

Arizona is losing significant money despite playing in a 13 year old building where they are the only tenant. They need a massive operating subsidy on top of having a taxpayer funded arena gifted to them, media revenues and revenue sharing.

http://archive.azcentral.com/persistent ... 072017.pdf

“Over the past 15 years, different ownership groups, including the National Hockey League
itself, have worked arm in arm with the NHL office and officials to explore every possible option
to make Glendale and its arena work as the Coyotes' home. The bottom line remains the
same: the team's owners continue to lose tens of millions of dollars annually. Consistent losses
of such magnitude are not sustainable -- not for an NHL franchise, or any other business.

Florida just had the sweetheart deal on their arena made sweeter last year as well.

Since the CFL has a cap (and floor) that is not tied to revenues, the high revenues teams can't outpace the low revenue clubs.

I'm certain a greater percentage of NHL teams lose money than CFL clubs and that gap will widen in time.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:14 pm

I was shocked when John Shannon said the teams prefer to negotiate their own sponsorship deals - over having one imposed on them by the League. Never saw that coming.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:10 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:I was shocked when John Shannon said the teams prefer to negotiate their own sponsorship deals - over having one imposed on them by the League. Never saw that coming.

I tend to think that was a few loud voices who know they can get more than an even split at their venues.
All-Star

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by HfxTC » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:10 am

Put a stuffed animal in a chair and save some money.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by pikk » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:00 am

GHT120 wrote:
pikk wrote:
PTBO Dave wrote:Karen Stintz expressed interest two years ago. She may not have enough sports-related experience, but hiring a youngish woman with political experience and ties to Toronto could definitely have an upside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Stintz#Post-political_career

No women or I will be pissed.

Really? So a less qualified man than a better qualified woman?
How very "old school".
No ,it is a men's league and take this gender equality crap and you know what. We just went PC by picking the 1st black man to lead a pro sport and that failed. Time to get a true football man in place.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:34 am

pikk wrote:
GHT120 wrote:
pikk wrote:No women or I will be pissed.

How very "old school".
No ,it is a men's league and take this gender equality crap and you know what. We just went PC by picking the 1st black man to lead a pro sport and that failed. Time to get a true football man in place.

I wouldn't want to see a candidate chosen simply because she was a woman; nor would I want to see one passed over for that reason. Let the most qualified person get the job, regardless of gender, race, religion, etc. And if that person happens to be a woman, so be it. :thup:

I think that if the role of the commish is largely related to business and promotion, then there are likely a lot of women with strong qualifications who should be considered.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by EastVanMark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:18 pm

GHT120 wrote: Maybe the CFL needs its own Bud Selig, and have an owner do the job.

Been there, done that with David Braley. Didn't work out so well.

When Braley as commissioner, it was very difficult for Braley the owner to interfere with the job and use his influence in the league to fire Braley the commissioner (as he has done to other commissioners both before and since.)
All-Star

by Liquor Kitty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:59 pm

PTBO Dave wrote:Karen Stintz expressed interest two years ago. She may not have enough sports-related experience, but hiring a youngish woman with political experience and ties to Toronto could definitely have an upside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Stintz#Post-political_career

Rob Ford REALLY liked her. :wink:
Veteran

by pikk » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:17 pm

How very "old school".[/quote]No ,it is a men's league and take this gender equality crap and you know what. We just went PC by picking the 1st black man to lead a pro sport and that failed. Time to get a true football man in place.[/quote]

I wouldn't want to see a candidate chosen simply because she was a woman; nor would I want to see one passed over for that reason. Let the most qualified person get the job, regardless of gender, race, religion, etc. And if that person happens to be a woman, so be it. :thup:

I think that if the role of the commish is largely related to business and promotion, then there are likely a lot of women with strong qualifications who should be considered.[/quote]Women are now becoming assistant coaches, so the next step is commissioner? I don't think so.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:45 pm

Dave wrote:I wouldn't want to see a candidate chosen simply because she was a woman; nor would I want to see one passed over for that reason. Let the most qualified person get the job, regardless of gender, race, religion, etc. And if that person happens to be a woman, so be it. :thup:

I think that if the role of the commish is largely related to business and promotion, then there are likely a lot of women with strong qualifications who should be considered.

pikk wrote:Women are now becoming assistant coaches, so the next step is commissioner? I don't think so.

Why don't you think so?
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

Re: CFL New Commish Candidates?

by Mr. » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:42 pm

Rookie

PreviousNext