Orridge to step down as CFL commish

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by depopulationINC » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:59 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:
jamie wrote:What were your likes and dislikes Depop?

I know i did a bit of a writeup on it last year, but off the top of my head...
- The CFL week was great, and it was done very family orientated. It was a massive massive win IMO. The flip side was that they did a horrid job promoting it. Yes...I think a big part of it was sticking it against the wall and seeing what sticks....it worked with a nominal investment so they likely know it is a good thing to invest more into in the future.
- The social media last year grew a lot. The twitter was very active in particular with things like the teasers for the schedule...great way of creating a buzz and on a platform that you gravitate to. Flipside is that it has been lacking in the past several months. IMO he has been tuned out for months.
- I liked the effort to re-invent the website look but it was a total failure. I am iffy at best on the logo change and site is often painful on a mobile. The stats were supposed to be a point of improvement but thus far are a total failure...that said the league brought in PWC and that could lead to some interesting things...they are only 1 season in and I woulf think they had to do a ground up rebirthing of how things are done...that is a pile of data they would have to get re-tooled...so we shall see how it pans out this year, but it is a failure for now.
- I liked the move to Brightcove media...It is a better media platform and I have some thoughts on why he may have done that in a grander picture
- He brought in some national sponsorship in the Brick, upping Nissan's partnership a lot and the big one in Shaw and Road to the Grey Cup. I also like that they started working with EA in some baby steps...I know others are hot and heavy on that other creator who has a product...but if they F up a game it could do more damage than good.
- While I hated some of the new rules that is not really on him...that is the BOG. What I did like is that he came in mid-season and made a rule change because it was just too much. There is not a lot they can do mid-season, but I loved that he did something...it was the first time that I felt he might actually be truly listening and/or starting to get the product.
- his overall knowledge of the product itself was lacking...that was obvious.
- I felt he should have canned the command center staff...all of it. If not during the season (which should have happened) then post-season.
- I like that he extended the contract with TSN...though I don't like some of the terms. The ratings were taking a dip and he secured more money...probably a safe play at the time...I don't like some of the content rights given up.
- I like that he was very open with the teams. I know that he talked to the staffs on a regular basis...probably way way more than most would through the season. He was an open book with them.
- I felt the fines were getting out of control...in some senses I liked that they were trying to clean a few thing up...but it is really nickle and diming a lot of players.
- I liked that he seemed to be pretty good at negotiating with ESPN and was getting growing exposure...yeah TSN is a part of that but the other part was signing that contract extension and handing over rights...he basically gave the redistribution away in hopes of growing that market...and it worked.
- I loved that he mingled with crowds. I recall seeing stories of him not only talking to people pre game and at the game but literally walking into surrounding communities and knocking on doors...that was pretty impressive and TSN showcased it well a couple of times.

There is more...but that is a few off the top of my head.

Great assess D-Pop - my own assessment is that Jeffrey maintained the league and was a decent caretaker commish - he even had snitches planted in Edmonton & Regina - and put up a sterling battle vs. the Esks trying to shut down the TSN-miking and in Regina - Tennessee Corky over-populating his roster.
Social media advances are wonderful - but if you don't have personnel on the ground to seed the sites and monitor same you got nothing; basically Trump & Sean Spicer talking to themselves! Just trash!
The thing I'd want to know is what effort Jeffrey made to increase the umbrella of TV coverage - whether he made efforts to at least have Sportsnet & CBC (or others for that matter) bid on game packages.
TSN does a good job with what I call their "Single Camera & 2 cheap announcer" packages - they cover all the games in this insidious way, letting flopstains like Rod Black and the hobo-directors go to town!

Why Sportsnet? Why CBC? - Well, for one Sportsnet now has bigger audiences than TSN - TSN has a micro-fiche of real sports left on the docket - otherwise its infested by panels, top 10 lists, insiders wearing 20 year old suits and 2 pretty women doing the nightly round-up. Guys like Black, Cabby & Landsbergh basically peed on their own network for the better part of 10+ years.

The key question is whether TSN would withdraw if the simple idea of others broadcasting some games was even broached. If that's true they have no business in the game. Sportsnet has enough platforms to spray NBA, MLB, CFL, some NFL & their biggy NHL throughout the year. If they can't they could back-lease some games to Global, CBC even their own CTV affiliates. If TSN didn't back-buy at least 20% of the games they'd simply die on the vine - having no real sports properties to fall back on.

An umbrella of TSN, Sportsnet, CBC, CTV & Global broadcasting the games could bring in more money to the CFL than its ever even dreamt of.

The only objection - and I seem to be in the wilderness on this one. Have been for over 25 years - and that's the CFL is primarily a "WHITE BOYS CLUB" where the real winners are highly paid (secret salaries, expense accounts, of course) governors, presidents, VPs of standing around, GMs, VPs of development, media queens, the revolving cadre of head coaches and finally the 7 to 10 starting QBs who draw anywhere from $350,000 to $475,000 per anum. All, including the starting QBs on guaranteed 2 to 4 year packages.

Rest of the league including chicken feed part-time officials, barely capable CIS grads and the typical sprinkling of NFL hobos and wash-outs.

Despite all this - its still riveting football. Despite all this I've been its biggest fan for over 55 years! :cowboy:

Social media advances are wonderful - but if you don't have personnel on the ground to seed the sites and monitor same you got nothing; basically Trump & Sean Spicer talking to themselves! Just trash!

this is the thing though...they do have those people in place, but it died off from last year to this year. Last year they had CFL interviews and some unique videos...this year it has basically been retweets of news story links. I don't know why that happened...did he tune out a bit for some reason or did he get pressed on it by the BOG?

I highly doubt that Orridge was ever pressing other networks to get interest...CBC has said their getting out of sports and Sportsnet walked away from the table when TSN offered a respectable bump years back....they have no interest in the CFL unless it is almost free...so why would you even want them as a major business partner? If they scoffed at the idea of paying that contract then surely it never would have been opened to pay more, and I tend to think that they would put really no extra effort in...TSN could do more, but SN would seemingly do nothing. TSN also has links with ESPN...that is something that is pretty appealing and the reason the contract was opened up. Passing on full rights was a ballsy move but allowed ESPN to roll the dice on the CFL and they seem to be reaping rewards from it, as their numbers are going up a fair bit on games. I just don't see a lot of players in the CFL broadcasting game unfortunately.

Also...CTV is bell...not sportsnet/rogers. It is really a battle between Bell/CTV/TSN/RDS/ESPN and Rogers/Sportsnet/(add in CITY and OMNI if you want I guess...not really players in it). CBC says they are out...who else is there? Global? I can't see global having the ability to do it. That ESPN connection has windows to potential growth that I think makes them a leader.
All-Star

by Aerial » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Well said BigJoe! :thup:

Agree depop. Sportsnet is up to it's knees with broadcasting the umpteen number of Blue Jays games and keeping on top of this as well as hockey when it overlaps with the CFL. It's a big deal for Rogers and they have to give this so much priority on so many levels. They would just do the basics for CFL broadcasting which is one reason why they would want it very cheap if at all. They are maxed out or close to it with the NHL and Blue Jays in terms of resources I think.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Aerial wrote:Well said BigJoe! :thup:

Agree depop. Sportsnet is up to it's knees with broadcasting the umpteen number of Blue Jays games and keeping on top of this as well as hockey when it overlaps with the CFL. It's a big deal for Rogers and they have to give this so much priority on so many levels. They would just do the basics for CFL broadcasting which is one reason why they would want it very cheap if at all. They are maxed out or close to it with the NHL and Blue Jays in terms of resources I think.

Sportsnet doesn't have to be up to it's knees with the Jays games, TSN has 4 channels it would make sense that Sportsnet would have more than one channel especially if they got the CFL.
Who know what will be around in 2022, if Rogers bids on the CFL they could likely bring down TSN.
TSN signed the NHL deal with the Sens & Jets before the big Rogers NHL deal, it's likely that TSN will lose the Sens & Jets when their contract ends. With no regional NHL and no CFL, I doubt that TSN would have many subscribers left.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:21 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
Aerial wrote:Well said BigJoe! :thup:

Sportsnet doesn't have to be up to it's knees with the Jays games, TSN has 4 channels it would make sense that Sportsnet would have more than one channel especially if they got the CFL.
Who know what will be around in 2022, if Rogers bids on the CFL they could likely bring down TSN.
TSN signed the NHL deal with the Sens & Jets before the big Rogers NHL deal, it's likely that TSN will lose the Sens & Jets when their contract ends. With no regional NHL and no CFL, I doubt that TSN would have many subscribers left.

:thup:
All-Star

by BCCFLFAN » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:42 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:
jamie wrote:What were your likes and dislikes Depop?

I know i did a bit of a writeup on it last year, but off the top of my head...
- The CFL week was great, and it was done very family orientated. It was a massive massive win IMO. The flip side was that they did a horrid job promoting it. Yes...I think a big part of it was sticking it against the wall and seeing what sticks....it worked with a nominal investment so they likely know it is a good thing to invest more into in the future.
- The social media last year grew a lot. The twitter was very active in particular with things like the teasers for the schedule...great way of creating a buzz and on a platform that you gravitate to. Flipside is that it has been lacking in the past several months. IMO he has been tuned out for months.
- I liked the effort to re-invent the website look but it was a total failure. I am iffy at best on the logo change and site is often painful on a mobile. The stats were supposed to be a point of improvement but thus far are a total failure...that said the league brought in PWC and that could lead to some interesting things...they are only 1 season in and I woulf think they had to do a ground up rebirthing of how things are done...that is a pile of data they would have to get re-tooled...so we shall see how it pans out this year, but it is a failure for now.
- I liked the move to Brightcove media...It is a better media platform and I have some thoughts on why he may have done that in a grander picture
- He brought in some national sponsorship in the Brick, upping Nissan's partnership a lot and the big one in Shaw and Road to the Grey Cup. I also like that they started working with EA in some baby steps...I know others are hot and heavy on that other creator who has a product...but if they F up a game it could do more damage than good.
- While I hated some of the new rules that is not really on him...that is the BOG. What I did like is that he came in mid-season and made a rule change because it was just too much. There is not a lot they can do mid-season, but I loved that he did something...it was the first time that I felt he might actually be truly listening and/or starting to get the product.
- his overall knowledge of the product itself was lacking...that was obvious.
- I felt he should have canned the command center staff...all of it. If not during the season (which should have happened) then post-season.
- I like that he extended the contract with TSN...though I don't like some of the terms. The ratings were taking a dip and he secured more money...probably a safe play at the time...I don't like some of the content rights given up.
- I like that he was very open with the teams. I know that he talked to the staffs on a regular basis...probably way way more than most would through the season. He was an open book with them.
- I felt the fines were getting out of control...in some senses I liked that they were trying to clean a few thing up...but it is really nickle and diming a lot of players.
- I liked that he seemed to be pretty good at negotiating with ESPN and was getting growing exposure...yeah TSN is a part of that but the other part was signing that contract extension and handing over rights...he basically gave the redistribution away in hopes of growing that market...and it worked.
- I loved that he mingled with crowds. I recall seeing stories of him not only talking to people pre game and at the game but literally walking into surrounding communities and knocking on doors...that was pretty impressive and TSN showcased it well a couple of times.

There is more...but that is a few off the top of my head.

Great assess D-Pop - my own assessment is that Jeffrey maintained the league and was a decent caretaker commish - he even had snitches planted in Edmonton & Regina - and put up a sterling battle vs. the Esks trying to shut down the TSN-miking and in Regina - Tennessee Corky over-populating his roster.
The thing I'd want to know is what effort Jeffrey made to increase the umbrella of TV coverage - whether he made efforts to at least have Sportsnet & CBC (or others for that matter) bid on game packages.
TSN does a good job with what I call their "Single Camera & 2 cheap announcer" packages - they cover all the games in this insidious way, letting flopstains like Rod Black and the hobo-directors go to town!

Why Sportsnet? Why CBC? - Well, for one Sportsnet now has bigger audiences than TSN - TSN has a micro-fiche of real sports left on the docket - otherwise its infested by panels, top 10 lists, insiders wearing 20 year old suits and 2 pretty women doing the nightly round-up. Guys like Black, Cabby & Landsbergh basically peed on their own network for the better part of 10+ years.

The key question is whether TSN would withdraw if the simple idea of others broadcasting some games was even broached. If that's true they have no business in the game. Sportsnet has enough platforms to spray NBA, MLB, CFL, some NFL & their biggy NHL throughout the year. If they can't they could back-lease some games to Global, CBC even their own CTV affiliates. If TSN didn't back-buy at least 20% of the games they'd simply die on the vine - having no real sports properties to fall back on.

An umbrella of TSN, Sportsnet, CBC, CTV & Global broadcasting the games could bring in more money to the CFL than its ever even dreamt of.

The only objection - and I seem to be in the wilderness on this one. Have been for over 25 years - and that's the CFL is primarily a "WHITE BOYS CLUB" where the real winners are highly paid (secret salaries, expense accounts, of course) governors, presidents, VPs of standing around, GMs, VPs of development, media queens, the revolving cadre of head coaches and finally the 7 to 10 starting QBs who draw anywhere from $350,000 to $475,000 per anum. All, including the starting QBs on guaranteed 2 to 4 year packages.

Rest of the league including chicken feed part-time officials, barely capable CIS grads and the typical sprinkling of NFL hobos and wash-outs.

Despite all this - its still riveting football. Despite all this I've been its biggest fan for over 55 years! :cowboy:

Interesting points. But down the road I guess you will be buying the book titled. "How the BOG of the CFL destroyed their own League"
Starter

by Aerial » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:06 pm

So BCCFLAN, you are Mr. Houdini! I want what you're drinking. :wink:
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by brianjoxx » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:12 pm

Evil Doctor wrote:Massively surprised by this, but I won't be shedding any tears here....

Great Call for sure. BUT you have to realize your favorite former commissioner :thup: Dave will not be back
Starter

by Aerial » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:30 pm

Some might say if a league is so dependent on a commissioner to be successful, the league is basically doomed.
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:32 pm

Wouldn't it be a stunner come 2021 that Sportsnet/Bell/CTV came out of the blue and made a major play for CFL game rights?

You betcha!

TSN would be stunned, bloody stunned if that happened. But it shouldn't = TSN honchos are smart soldiers who turn over every leaf - hmmm, except when they got blind-sided by Sportsnet & G. Bettman on NHL contract a few short years ago. Bettman didn't even give them a chance to bid - he had Sportsnet torqued up to the gills - TSN prolly goes bankrupt if they matched or exceed the competitors bid. Besides, everyone says TSN makes more money without NHL fees & production costs - panel shows, top 10 lists and pretty women with good hair are cheap these days. (Exception = Tessa Bonhomme - who's glorious!!!)
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:35 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:Wouldn't it be a stunner come 2021 that Sportsnet/Bell/CTV came out of the blue and made a major play for CFL game rights?

You betcha!

TSN would be stunned, bloody stunned if that happened. But it shouldn't = TSN honchos are smart soldiers who turn over every leaf - hmmm, except when they got blind-sided by Sportsnet & G.

It would be fun but it won't get to that point. TSN will make the CFL an offer they cannot refuse - BEFORE the current deal ends. The CFL will jump at it - just like they jumped at the most recent deal. Let's hope they don't regret it.
All-Star

by Aerial » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:39 pm

TSN gets subscribers with basic Rogers cable as I have, basic cable when you subsrcibe to phone,net,cable for a very, very decent price. $120 a month for all three, it's a good deal for my needs.

And you're dead right with that Kevin. TSN and the CFL will be joined at the hip for many, many years and that is a very good thing for the CFL IMHO. Sportsnet and CBC want the CFL for cheap, we all know that.

Sportsnet does not want TSN to go caput for reasons like competition, just like the NFL likes the CFL around. So it's not a monopoly legal wise.
All-Star

by ArgoT » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:52 pm

After the rough start he had when introduced as the new commish, I thought he was doing much better.
In fact, I loved how he came down to talk to the crowd while attending games for the Argos.
Last summer I spoke to him for several minutes, he was very nice, attentive and concerned about the view held by the paying fans.
So I mentioned to him how the TV contract was a bad financial signing and he could not agree more.
In fact, he mentioned during the next renewal he was going to create a bidding war and what was sadly lacking at the last one.
He agreed with me how the CFL property was grossly undervalued.
Suggested it could be $100M per year and that he expected interest from other parties as well as TSN, therefore creating a bidding war.
Sadly he won't be able to see this come to fruition.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:16 pm

ArgoT wrote:After the rough start he had when introduced as the new commish, I thought he was doing much better.
In fact, I loved how he came down to talk to the crowd while attending games for the Argos.
Last summer I spoke to him for several minutes, he was very nice, attentive and concerned about the view held by the paying fans.
So I mentioned to him how the TV contract was a bad financial signing and he could not agree more.
In fact, he mentioned during the next renewal he was going to create a bidding war and what was sadly lacking at the last one.
He agreed with me how the CFL property was grossly undervalued.
Suggested it could be $100M per year and that he expected interest from other parties as well as TSN, therefore creating a bidding war.
Sadly he won't be able to see this come to fruition.

Hard to be a commish when you have Bell as your boss and the interest of the league is not always the best interest of Bell .
One of your owners in the biggest market is owned by the people with those exclusive rights and he wants a bidding war which is a hard sell for one of the 9 . The Argo's should remove themselves from the conflict of interest when the rights are put up whether it's a plus for the CFL or a plus for Bell . Let the market decide .

One of the biggest reasons CFL needed MLSE's 3 of 3 .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by Aerial » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:02 pm

What are we back with talking about conflict of interest like when Braley owned 2 teams? This isn't like that at all. Is Rogers in a conflict of interest airing all Blue Jays games on their own network and having a monopoly so to speak on Blue Jays games?
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:35 pm

I agree, there's no conflict of interest at all. Media firms owning teams and broadcasting in that league is common.

Rogers partially owns the Leafs and have the exclusive national rights. Bell is also a partial managing partner of TFC and TSN has the national rights. The Philadelphia Flyers are owned by Comcast who owns NBC, holder of the national NHL rights in the US.

Remember when it is time for renewal on the next media deal, Bell through the Argos governor is only 1 vote out of 9, whatever is the best deal for the League will be the best deal for the Argos too.
All-Star

PreviousNext