Orridge to step down as CFL commish

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by project.legacy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:04 am

HfxTC wrote:Lazy and ineffective. Does not change the fact that the League is run like a "cartel" and its a job nobody wants.. League should try and convince Mark Weithman.

I have no idea of whether or not Orridge was lazy, but clearly he was ineffective, and in over his head. Agree with the cartel part - how many Commissioners have we gone through in the last 20 years ?

I'd love to see Tom Wright given a real shot to do the job (get Braley to sell the Lions and outta the League), and for the Owners to actually allow the Commish to do the job properly and lead.

Not keen on the idea of Weightman though, IMO a weak exec type, and did nothing to grow the Alouettes. Heck, I still think it was a mistake to a degree in getting rid of Lalonde, but if it were me (as the Alouettes Owner) I would have tried to hire the Impact's current Chief Marketing Office - Hugues Léger, but that's a topic for another thread.
Last edited by project.legacy on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Starter
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by BigJoeM » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:54 am

Mightygoose wrote:I agree, there's no conflict of interest at all. Media firms owning teams and broadcasting in that league is common.

Rogers partially owns the Leafs and have the exclusive national rights. Bell is also a partial managing partner of TFC and TSN has the national rights. The Philadelphia Flyers are owned by Comcast who owns NBC, holder of the national NHL rights in the US.

Remember when it is time for renewal on the next media deal, Bell through the Argos governor is only 1 vote out of 9, whatever is the best deal for the League will be the best deal for the Argos too.


I have to disagree The Argos and the CFL are completely different than the Leafs ,Jays and Flyers ( completely different ) .

All of those three teams mentioned in other leagues could fall and there would be no effect on the other league teams like the Argos . Toronto is the glue to National Sponsors for an entire league unlike the one's mentioned . There is no other analogy one could use except maybe New York City which is similar in national relevance in the US and even then it pales to Toronto's influence in population ,economic purchasing power ,national media hub , national corporate offices and CFL's perception as a national pro league within it's own borders .


You really think Bell would have bought the lowly Argos if Rogers had owned the exclusive rights for years with the CFL ! This was about protecting their TSN product and now you have the tail wagging the dog .

The only way from under this is selling the CFL rights by piece meal and selling rights like the Grey Cup , Friday nights,Monday Holiday games etc ..separately to a open bidding process . Will Bell be on board for this knowing they have sunk millions into the Argos or would they let the league die by collapsing Toronto's team ? How do you get someone to buy it when they face past owners who manage the stadium . New owners would need their own stadium or face Rogers /Skydome craziness again only this time from both ends of the two media giants at BMO .

Again not having MLSE on board as a whole was a negotiating mistake by Braley and the CFL . If Bell needed to give a little they should have been forced to capitulate . Rogers had no interest in the Argos and may have had good reason .

People forget Edward Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum ( present argo owner )were going to buy the Buffalo Bills with Bon Jovi and that purchase alone may have ended the CFL .

If your a CFL leader there should be caution when dealing with corporate media giants and you need to have leverage with them to get the best deal going forward . If TSN and the CFL are joined by the hip then TSN's next CFL contract should reflect that .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by Mightygoose » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:03 am

I guess JoeM, we'll have differing opinions there.

If Rogers had the exclusive rights to the Argos, they would have bought them with Tannenbaum instead and Bell would be kicking dirt at them and the league as a whole. Too many people look at it as Bell wanting to buy the Argos, where the reality is it's more of a case of Rogers not wanting to and they had no incentive.

Going further, I beleive Rogers are interested in the rights. Perhaps in partnership with CBC similar to their NHL deal. It's still gives good ratings and would be allot more versatile than the Jays as their ratings will come down significantly once their competitive cycle ends. The CFL will always have domestuc contenders.

I will agree selling it by piecemeal can still keep Bell as a partner. If Bell and Rogers split which I wish was done last time, the Argos would be under full MLSE control.

If a peicemeal bid will bring in more $$$ than a standalone Bell bid, why would the other 8 owners accept it? Plus a raise in the rights would net more $$$ for Bell and put that towards the Argos.

I wouldn't worry about Larry T's NFL ambitions...it will likley never happen and if it did, under his ownership, there's a model where they can both coexist and that's for another thread.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1448
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:04 am

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by BigJoeM » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:07 am

I hope it all works out Mightygoose and there is a competitive bid but the optics are not flattering .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by Vermonter » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:22 am

Image
:cowboy:

Image
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by HfxTC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:40 am

BigJoeM wrote:
Mightygoose wrote:I agree, there's no conflict of interest at all. Media firms owning teams and broadcasting in that league is common.

Rogers partially owns the Leafs and have the exclusive national rights. Bell is also a partial managing partner of TFC and TSN has the national rights. The Philadelphia Flyers are owned by Comcast who owns NBC, holder of the national NHL rights in the US.

Remember when it is time for renewal on the next media deal, Bell through the Argos governor is only 1 vote out of 9, whatever is the best deal for the League will be the best deal for the Argos too.


I have to disagree The Argos and the CFL are completely different than the Leafs ,Jays and Flyers ( completely different ) .

All of those three teams mentioned in other leagues could fall and there would be no effect on the other league teams like the Argos . Toronto is the glue to National Sponsors for an entire league unlike the one's mentioned . There is no other analogy one could use except maybe New York City which is similar in national relevance in the US and even then it pales to Toronto's influence in population ,economic purchasing power ,national media hub , national corporate offices and CFL's perception as a national pro league within it's own borders .


You really think Bell would have bought the lowly Argos if Rogers had owned the exclusive rights for years with the CFL ! This was about protecting their TSN product and now you have the tail wagging the dog .

The only way from under this is selling the CFL rights by piece meal and selling rights like the Grey Cup , Friday nights,Monday Holiday games etc ..separately to a open bidding process . Will Bell be on board for this knowing they have sunk millions into the Argos or would they let the league die by collapsing Toronto's team ? How do you get someone to buy it when they face past owners who manage the stadium . New owners would need their own stadium or face Rogers /Skydome craziness again only this time from both ends of the two media giants at BMO .

Again not having MLSE on board as a whole was a negotiating mistake by Braley and the CFL . If Bell needed to give a little they should have been forced to capitulate . Rogers had no interest in the Argos and may have had good reason .

People forget Edward Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum ( present argo owner )were going to buy the Buffalo Bills with Bon Jovi and that purchase alone may have ended the CFL .

If your a CFL leader there should be caution when dealing with corporate media giants and you need to have leverage with them to get the best deal going forward . If TSN and the CFL are joined by the hip then TSN's next CFL contract should reflect that .



But you know what. Bell and TSN putting a little order in that zoo might be a real plus for the league.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
User avatar
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 34345
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 10:09 pm
Location: Halifax

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by OskeeweeneeVI » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:50 am

Vermonter wrote:Image

Congratulations! Submit that to the league and charge $50 000 as a graphic designer fee.
Rookie
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:03 pm

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:17 pm

The Orridge removal has gotten little mention in the press - not sure if that's a blessing. I was a fan but I agree, he was invisible.

They brought him in to increase League revenue. The fact that he was fired makes me think he was either incapable OR there is no new revenue to be found - and he took the hit.

Either way, he will get paid for his final year and, perhaps, they will find someone they all like, who can make a difference.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 6809
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by 300Magnum » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:20 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:The Orridge removal has gotten little mention in the press - not sure if that's a blessing. I was a fan but I agree, he was invisible.

They brought him in to increase League revenue. The fact that he was fired makes me think he was either incapable OR there is no new revenue to be found - and he took the hit.

Either way, he will get paid for his final year and, perhaps, they will find someone they all like, who can make a difference.


I would say that when it was mentioned the split was mutual that Orridge may have had an opportunity presented to him and with the owners not in agreement that a contract extension was going to be offered at the end of the year that Orridge asked to part company now.

I dont see that the league is paying his salary for the remainder of his contract.
Starter
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by BigJoeM » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:32 pm

HfxTC wrote:
BigJoeM wrote:
Mightygoose wrote:I agree, there's no conflict of interest at all. Media firms owning teams and broadcasting in that league is common.

Rogers partially owns the Leafs and have the exclusive national rights. Bell is also a partial managing partner of TFC and TSN has the national rights. The Philadelphia Flyers are owned by Comcast who owns NBC, holder of the national NHL rights in the US.

Remember when it is time for renewal on the next media deal, Bell through the Argos governor is only 1 vote out of 9, whatever is the best deal for the League will be the best deal for the Argos too.


I have to disagree The Argos and the CFL are completely different than the Leafs ,Jays and Flyers ( completely different ) .

All of those three teams mentioned in other leagues could fall and there would be no effect on the other league teams like the Argos . Toronto is the glue to National Sponsors for an entire league unlike the one's mentioned . There is no other analogy one could use except maybe New York City which is similar in national relevance in the US and even then it pales to Toronto's influence in population ,economic purchasing power ,national media hub , national corporate offices and CFL's perception as a national pro league within it's own borders .


You really think Bell would have bought the lowly Argos if Rogers had owned the exclusive rights for years with the CFL ! This was about protecting their TSN product and now you have the tail wagging the dog .

The only way from under this is selling the CFL rights by piece meal and selling rights like the Grey Cup , Friday nights,Monday Holiday games etc ..separately to a open bidding process . Will Bell be on board for this knowing they have sunk millions into the Argos or would they let the league die by collapsing Toronto's team ? How do you get someone to buy it when they face past owners who manage the stadium . New owners would need their own stadium or face Rogers /Skydome craziness again only this time from both ends of the two media giants at BMO .

Again not having MLSE on board as a whole was a negotiating mistake by Braley and the CFL . If Bell needed to give a little they should have been forced to capitulate . Rogers had no interest in the Argos and may have had good reason .

People forget Edward Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum ( present argo owner )were going to buy the Buffalo Bills with Bon Jovi and that purchase alone may have ended the CFL .

If your a CFL leader there should be caution when dealing with corporate media giants and you need to have leverage with them to get the best deal going forward . If TSN and the CFL are joined by the hip then TSN's next CFL contract should reflect that .



But you know what. Bell and TSN putting a little order in that zoo might be a real plus for the league.


Yes if they would use their full influence behind it they may have actual real growth and goal setting beyond survival .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:42 pm

300Magnum wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:The Orridge removal has gotten little mention in the press - not sure if that's a blessing. I was a fan but I agree, he was invisible.

They brought him in to increase League revenue. The fact that he was fired makes me think he was either incapable OR there is no new revenue to be found - and he took the hit.

Either way, he will get paid for his final year and, perhaps, they will find someone they all like, who can make a difference.


I would say that when it was mentioned the split was mutual that Orridge may have had an opportunity presented to him and with the owners not in agreement that a contract extension was going to be offered at the end of the year that Orridge asked to part company now.

I dont see that the league is paying his salary for the remainder of his contract.

I disagree, Magnum. Why would Orridge walk away if he was NOT going to get paid? Otherwise, let the CFL fire you.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 6809
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by 300Magnum » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:10 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
300Magnum wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:The Orridge removal has gotten little mention in the press - not sure if that's a blessing. I was a fan but I agree, he was invisible.

They brought him in to increase League revenue. The fact that he was fired makes me think he was either incapable OR there is no new revenue to be found - and he took the hit.

Either way, he will get paid for his final year and, perhaps, they will find someone they all like, who can make a difference.


I would say that when it was mentioned the split was mutual that Orridge may have had an opportunity presented to him and with the owners not in agreement that a contract extension was going to be offered at the end of the year that Orridge asked to part company now.

I dont see that the league is paying his salary for the remainder of his contract.

I disagree, Magnum. Why would Orridge walk away if he was NOT going to get paid? Otherwise, let the CFL fire you.


As I said, Orridge perhaps had another offer from someone else. If he wasnt going to be extended with the CFL he decided to take that offer, so essentially he quit.

Its not like the league took a hit firing Orridge now, but really they would not lose anything letting him continue on and then parting ways at the end of the season.
Starter
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:14 pm

300Magnum wrote:As I said, Orridge perhaps had another offer from someone else. If he wasnt going to be extended with the CFL he decided to take that offer, so essentially he quit.

Its not like the league took a hit firing Orridge now, but really they would not lose anything letting him continue on and then parting ways at the end of the season.

Fair enough. Maybe you're right.
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 6809
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:46 pm

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by project.legacy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:23 pm

From my understanding, the door is still open for Rogers to eventually buy 37.5% of the Argonauts, and bring them under the MLSE umbrella - the next TV deal could be a big move in this regard.

Global (Canwest owned at the time, and now owned by Corus, which is majority owned be the Shaw Family, and Shaw along with Freedom Mobile are big CFL partners right now), CBC, and even Rogers at one point within that last decade or so, have all been interested in the CFL's media rights at one point or another, so hopefully if the CFL ever finally wakes up, and puts it to market, we may actually see what's really out there.
User avatar
Starter
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:42 pm

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by BigJoeM » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:32 pm

project.legacy wrote:From my understanding, the door is still open for Rogers to eventually buy 37.5% of the Argonauts, and bring them under the MLSE umbrella - the next TV deal could be a big move in this regard.

Global (Canwest owned at the time, and now owned by Corus, which is majority owned be the Shaw Family, and Shaw along with Freedom Mobile are big CFL partners right now), CBC, and even Rogers at one point within that last decade or so, have all been interested in the CFL's media rights at one point or another, so hopefully if the CFL ever finally wakes up, and puts it to market, we may actually see what's really out there.


I would love it if Shaw came on board . The Rogers addition at Toronto would be a huge bonus as MLSE is a well tuned machine . Nothing wrong with dreaming .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

PreviousNext

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests