Orridge to step down as CFL commish

Re: Orridge to step down as CFL commish

by depopulationINC » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:40 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
300Magnum wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:The Orridge removal has gotten little mention in the press - not sure if that's a blessing. I was a fan but I agree, he was invisible.

They brought him in to increase League revenue. The fact that he was fired makes me think he was either incapable OR there is no new revenue to be found - and he took the hit.

Either way, he will get paid for his final year and, perhaps, they will find someone they all like, who can make a difference.

I would say that when it was mentioned the split was mutual that Orridge may have had an opportunity presented to him and with the owners not in agreement that a contract extension was going to be offered at the end of the year that Orridge asked to part company now.

I dont see that the league is paying his salary for the remainder of his contract.

I disagree, Magnum. Why would Orridge walk away if he was NOT going to get paid? Otherwise, let the CFL fire you.

Afforded the opportunity to do so more gracefully. That is a big deal for a career executive.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:13 pm

depopulationINC wrote:Afforded the opportunity to do so more gracefully. That is a big deal for a career executive.

Fair enough. Still, I don't think anyone walks away from (guessing) $500K unless they are pushed or were paid out.
All-Star

by dartman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Bring back the old logo and be careful with social issues.
I'll say it out loud, the CFL does not need to be involved with the Gay Pride Parade. Period.
Go ahead, delete or do not post this reply.
I will not watch the National Felon League.
Rookie

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:35 pm

dartman wrote:Bring back the old logo and be careful with social issues.
I'll say it out loud, the CFL does not need to be involved with the Gay Pride Parade. Period.

They have to find new Revenue Streams. The League is on the verge of being profitable. The owners would be more patient with a Commissioner if all the teams made money.
All-Star

by rpaege » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:59 pm

As Lord Thompson of Fleet once said, "Never a backward step." That would be a huge mistake and reflect very poorly on the league as if it is dithering and flailing around and doesn't know now it wants to present itself. The decisions was made long ago and re-branding is complete. Move on.

I for one LOVE the logo as it is. I dislike the tired old 1980s style logo.
ImageImage
All-Star

by BCCFLFAN » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Aerial wrote:So BCCFLAN, you are Mr. Houdini! I want what you're drinking. :wink:

Just want to see the CFL grow and get better, like other leagues. :)
Starter

by project.legacy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:30 pm

I think the new logo absolutely has to be given the boot, I still don't even understand why the logo was changed in the first place. I'd also like to see the League go back to the previous logo

But I wouldn't be opposed to the League going to something like this, which is a light tweak to a logo concept that the Redblacks ownership were looking at.
Starter

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:03 pm

BCCFLFAN wrote:
Aerial wrote:So BCCFLAN, you are Mr. Houdini! I want what you're drinking. :wink:

:thup:

Yes. Sometimes it feels like we are shrinking. It's a lousy feeling.
All-Star

by Aerial » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:09 pm

I for one LOVE the logo as it is. I dislike the tired old 1980s style logo.

Bingo rpaege! :thup: The old logo with the vertical half maple leaf is used by so many companies, especially small companies, out there it's not unique at all. This one I haven't seen as they've used the maple leaf. Clean, beauty. Love it.

This league, the CFL, is fantastic I say! The new logo is great.
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:21 pm

As my old buddy Tom Snyder used to say "Have another simultini" - - - the CFL has survived
millions of hiccups, tyrants & tantrum-seekers, meeks to motor-mouths, liars to floaters, invisible men to egomaniacs. A couple of solids, mostly liquids and a smattering of gas.

Was it Sonny & Cher who often sang

"And the Beat Goes On"

CFL will survive. White boys clubs usually do. Where else can 50 to 75 members get paid $200,000 to $550,000 a year?
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:29 pm

Lyle B. Style wrote:As my old buddy Tom Snyder used to say "Have another simultini" - - - the CFL has survived
millions of hiccups, tyrants & tantrum-seekers, meeks to motor-mouths, liars to floaters, invisible men to egomaniacs. A couple of solids, mostly liquids and a smattering of gas.

Was it Sonny & Cher who often sang

"And the Beat Goes On"

CFL will survive. White boys clubs usually do. Where else can 50 to 75 members get paid $200,000 to $550,000 a year?

A lot of truth to this. There is always an ebb and flow to the cfl.

And, as I have always predicted, after the next TV contract, being profitable will not be difficult.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:56 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
BCCFLFAN wrote:

:thup:

Yes. Sometimes it feels like we are shrinking. It's a lousy feeling.

Hey at least we're not shrinking. The CFL is the second biggest professional gridiron football league in the world, though a very large margin from #1.

Who's number 3? The Arena League? So big that they want from 8 teams down to 5 in one off season and that's with 2 expansion teams owned by one person. I feel for fans on that message board on what they go through every year.

Could be allot worse.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Mightygoose wrote:Hey at least we're not shrinking. The CFL is the second biggest professional gridiron football league in the world, though a very large margin from #1.

Who's number 3? The Arena League? So big that they want from 8 teams down to 5 in one off season and that's with 2 expansion teams owned by one person. I feel for fans on that message board on what they go through every year.

Could be allot worse.

That's true.

I just want the CFL to get to break even. As I have said many times, if every team made $1/yr forever, I'd be one happy dude. :)
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:55 am

KevinRiley2 wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:Afforded the opportunity to do so more gracefully. That is a big deal for a career executive.

Fair enough. Still, I don't think anyone walks away from (guessing) $500K unless they are pushed or were paid out.

The stigma of "terminated/fired" for a career executive is worth more than a year's salary. It can be a hard thing for them to shake off...no matter how it played out. The grace of you walking away or something mutual carries a lot of weight. IMO it is all pretty messed up, but it seems pretty common looking at it as an investor.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:42 pm

depopulationINC wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:

The stigma of "terminated/fired" for a career executive is worth more than a year's salary. It can be a hard thing for them to shake off...no matter how it played out. The grace of you walking away or something mutual carries a lot of weight. IMO it is all pretty messed up, but it seems pretty common looking at it as an investor.

I doubt he will make that kind of money anytime soon - while the CFL doesn't pay huge money, it's better than 99.99% of the jobs out there. My gut tells me he took the money and ran. I know I would.
All-Star

Previous