Edmonton's capacity

Re: Edmonton's capacity

by rpaege » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:19 pm

brianjoxx wrote:
jamie wrote:I don't think ANYONE in Edmonton would support tearing anything down and rebuilding in Commonweath.
It is a great outdoor stadium that has been responsibly maintained and upgraded continually. Completely comfortable for those who go to games. Affordable tix as well.

Very well said. Great stadium that can hold all kind of events but as far as CFL games its very FAN user friendly and has been upgrade to keep it a first rate facility. Some of the new hockey rinks offer more prime seats at a higher cost
and are NOT FAN friendly just more money for owners.

Yeah, any talk of replacing that stadium, especially using public money, is crazy talk. It's got its flaws, but by en large it's a perfectly adequate large venue. The fact that it hasn't been allowed to fall into disrepair will make it viable for decades to come.

I wonder if there might be a way to turn the upper corners into luxury boxes, or if that would even sell.
ImageImage
All-Star

by Shipyard » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:55 pm

just tarp off the seats that were covered with grass when it first opened.. i think capacity was 40k

You can see it in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gA-7uu_BV8
Rookie

by slimjim2 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:07 am

Shipyard wrote:just tarp off the seats that were covered with grass when it first opened.. i think capacity was 40k

You can see it in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gA-7uu_BV8

I still don't get the "tarp off" thing?
Are football fans watching on TV, fooled into thinking that a tarp over a seat is any different that an empty seat ?
Are fans turned off by catching glimpses of empty seats?

Looks like the Argos are not selling the East side upper deck this year at BMO. It's not available for season tickets or the Flex Packs, I wonder if they will attempt to do the "tarp off"
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:16 am

The Upper East side at BMO (rows 6 onwards) will be for group sales and likely single tickets too. Nothing will be tarped off.

It would only make sense in Edmonton if they want to do the same thing. Reduced capacity if done right means more scarcity of tickets.

The Arizona Coyotes are hoping the same tactic next year does the same thing.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ariz ... xt-season/
All-Star

by rhymes with orange » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:05 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
I still don't get the "tarp off" thing?
Are football fans watching on TV, fooled into thinking that a tarp over a seat is any different that an empty seat ?
Are fans turned off by catching glimpses of empty seats?

It's two-fold really.

One, it limits supply. With a lower capacity (in theory) they can maintain, or in some cases increase ticket prices as demand increases. I am talking about theory, not necessarily the Edmonton example. When BC was averaging 28,000 and they reduced capacity to 27,500 they thought there would be "SRO" signs posted at the ticket booths and raised ticket prices. What they didn't realize is that some people preferred sitting in the Upper Bowl and wouldn't move down. Also, there's not a big demand for end-zone and corner seats. A bowl configuration works for an "end to end" sport like hockey as the puck movement is continuous. It doesn't work as well in the CFL.

Second, optics. It looks much better both at the stadium and on TV not to see empty seats. At least with a tarp it screams, "our stadium is too big" as opposed to "no one cares." And yes, I do think fans at the stadium and on TV are turned off by empty seats. Why do you think TSN takes great pains with their camera angles not to show them?
Proud B.C. Lions season ticket holder since 1995.
All-Star

by jamie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:22 pm

I think end zone seats as a whole should be given over to:
One Side: Restaurant/bar seating. Have to buy a cheap ticket ( cover charge) to sit in there. And stay there.

One side: Given to all those 12- 15 years old ...two bucks. Like the old knot hole gang concept.

With those upper level seats. My preferred seat to "watch" a game was front row 2nd level in BC place, 40-50 yard line. But you really have to love the game to sit up there with so few people. But great place to actually watch a game,
All-Star

by Eskimosrock » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:59 pm

I don't mind the notion of tarping off the endzone corner seats and upper section corners. But my theory is you can tarp them off while making advertising money off of it. They already do it somewhat in the north endzone. The tarps would include whoever wanted to advertise on them along with Eskimo logos.
The Green and Gold is bold.
Veteran

Previous