Edmonton's capacity

Re: Edmonton's capacity

by Grover » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:54 pm

jamie wrote:I don't believe the temp stadium costs were included in the 500mil renos to BC place.

But BC place is HEAVILY used. And it is a beautiful stadium. Even has good acoustics for music which cost a lot in the renos but the number of concerts held there is pretty amazing. It's really part of the downtown core.

Nostalgia, end-zone seating and braving outdoor elements all part of the temporary 'lure' for Lions, Whitecaps BY LYNDON LITTLE They're going to build it. Now will they come? The Pacific National Exhibition and the B.C. Pavilion Corporation unveiled plans Tuesday for a 27,500-seat temporary stadium on the grounds of the PNE that will be the home of the B.C. Lions for the 2010 season and part of 2011 and for soccer's Whitecaps during the early portion of their 2011 campaign. The move is necessitated by the planned renovations of BC Place to begin after the closing of the 2010 Olympics. To be constructed by the Swiss-based company Nussli, the stadium will be located on the site of the old Empire Stadium, which was demolished in 1993 and is now a community playing field. Among the details: -The cost of the stadium, pegged at $14.4 million, is already included in the $458-million budget PavCo has set aside for the BC Place renovations, which are to include a retractable roof.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2009/1 ... couver-sun
Last edited by Grover on Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by jamie » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:59 pm

Ah...thanks for correcting me on that. (didn't have to yell however!)

Anyway...it was a pretty neat little stadium for 14.4 M. As long as you didn't mind Atco Trailers for washrooms!
Veteran

by PTBO Dave » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:07 pm

jamie wrote:I certainly agree that Vancouver is a great place to visit. And the game day experience is probably much better enjoyed if combined with a holiday. Its an exciting location...right out the doors of the stadium are literally hundreds of bars and resties to choose from. Water ways etc. Locals probably get spoiled.

the Lions maybe should take note and figure out a way to get more out of area folks to come.

Yeah Beagle...that temp stadium was terrific

I've only been to BC Place once, and it was as an out-of-town visitor, and I had a great time, for all the reasons you mention above. Also, we bought about the worst seats in the house (lower level, corner of endzone) and I still thought they provided excellent sightlines. That was before the renos, so I'll definitely have to make it back there someday.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by Grover » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:17 pm

jamie wrote:Ah...thanks for correcting me on that. (didn't have to yell however!)

Anyway...it was a pretty neat little stadium for 14.4 M. As long as you didn't mind Atco Trailers for washrooms!

Sorry, didn't really mean to yell. I fixed it. :wink:
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by brihind88 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:43 pm

beaglehound wrote:"The only thing I do not like is the stupid kiss cam."...by brihind

I understand what you mean. As soon as they bring on that segment I put my binoculars to my eyes to look "busy". But all in all I guess it kind brings everyone a little closer together and is all done in fun.

I used to attend Lions game at the old Empire Stadium. My regret to this day is that I did not go to one game at the temp stadium just for nostalgia sake. I'd heard many negative reports during the season so did not want to take a chance. Based on your comments it sounds like I dropped the ball on that one.

I do not want to rub it in, but you did miss out on something special.

Empire Field Temp Stadium was just so much fun.
I went to 2 games ( 2010 - 2011 ). Both Sept 1 pm day games against the Argos.
Both games were Lion wins and perfect weather.

Had a retro to it , more than just the name, jerseys or location.
One fan beside me stated the steel beams in the stands bracing the roof reminded him of old Empire.

That was an experience I was glad I did not miss.
All-Star

by Eskimosrock » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:08 pm

project.legacy wrote:The Eskimos and City of Edmonton IMO should have built a new stadium (without a ridiculous track) as opposed to spending over $120 million on the Commonwealth renos. 30-35k seems to be the right size nowadays for the teams out West - even in Edmonton.

I'd say from 2003-2012 we averaged 35,000-40,000 a game at Commonwealth. Now we're averaging 31,000-34,000. Massive attendances seem to be a thing of the past, but building a new stadium for the Esks would be moronic after the stadium is only 39 years old. With the renovations and care, that thing could stand for over 100 years if taken care of.

If we did build a new stadium, it'd hopefully seat a minimum of 35,000 and have room for 10,000 extras for big events. After all, the last Grey Cup in Edmonton SOLD OUT before the season started (2010). That was when we had the smaller orange seats and could hold 65,000 fans.

The lack of attendance is the CFL's fault as a whole. No major video game, no massive marketing, individual teams are at differing stages of engaging the public, it could honestly be too little too late for the CFL if this continues much longer. The league needs to step up and take a calculated risk. A Video Game would do wonders IMO and make it available for digital download or pre-order only to test the market and not have to spend money producing discs. I'm getting off track now haha.
The Green and Gold is bold.
Veteran

by project.legacy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:02 pm

It's not just the CFL struggling to bring attendance numbers back up though, with much higher ticket prices, a lot of Leagues are no longer attracting the crowds they use to.

I agree though, 35,000 is a good number for Edmonton - 40k maybe pushing it, but it would also potentially ensure a higher seating capacity (adding in temp seats as well) for events like the Grey Cup.
Starter

by GHT120 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:53 pm

project.legacy wrote:It's not just the CFL struggling to bring attendance numbers back up though, with much higher ticket prices, a lot of Leagues are no longer attracting the crowds they use to.

I agree though, 35,000 is a good number for Edmonton - 40k maybe pushing it, but it would also potentially ensure a higher seating capacity (adding in temp seats as well) for events like the Grey Cup.

Key is to build to regular season optimum (balancing the selling of as many tickets as possible against an oversupply of seats making it easy to defer buying and then maybe "finding" a reason not to walk-up) while making certain there is the ability to add enough temporary seats for special events.
All-Star

by West » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:50 pm

We usually lead the league in attendance anyways. I'm no fan of the nosebleeds so I'd never buy those seats. I'm sure it's the same for many others as well. There just isn't the same vibe up there as there is closer to the field.
All-Star

by Shipyard » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:02 am

i can see the city and the esks eventually demo-ing one of the grandstands, and rebuilding with a new smaller 15,000 seat stand on one side that has tons of a suites and loge seats ... higher revenue seats. Most stadiums are going to high end seats and suites on on side and regular folk seats on other (ford field/levi's stadium).

They can rebuild the new stand closer to the field so you don't have the track and move the field over, so both sides are close to the field and on top of the action

As for now, they should tarp off the seats they added in 1981ish when they went from 40k to 60k
Rookie

by slimjim2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:43 am

Shipyard wrote:i can see the city and the esks eventually demo-ing one of the grandstands, and rebuilding with a new smaller 15,000 seat stand on one side that has tons of a suites and loge seats ... higher revenue seats. Most stadiums are going to high end seats and suites on on side and regular folk seats on other (ford field/levi's stadium).

They can rebuild the new stand closer to the field so you don't have the track and move the field over, so both sides are close to the field and on top of the action

As for now, they should tarp off the seats they added in 1981ish when they went from 40k to 60k

They already have 30 Private Suites - I would think that would be enough, only so many rich people around.

Since the stadium is used for International events like the World Athletic Championships and various games they won't be tearing up the track and moving the stands closer to the field. It's the only stadium in Canada that has enough seating for track events.

Why waste money and tarp off seats? what's the point? will more people show up to buy tickets if the seats are tarped off? do they get better TV ratings if the seats are tarped off? don't viewers know that the tarped off seats mean people are not sitting there?
All-Star

by jamie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:10 pm

I don't think ANYONE in Edmonton would support tearing anything down and rebuilding in Commonweath.
It is a great outdoor stadium that has been responsibly maintained and upgraded continually. Completely comfortable for those who go to games. Affordable tix as well.
Veteran

by c-way-dude » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:07 am

If they wanted, they might be able to convert seats at the top of the lower decks to suites. Winnipeg did that at their old stadium, cutting capacity by about 3500. Ottawa also did that many years ago with their north side deck. Oddly enough, they took out the suites in the north side deck and replaced them with seats during the reconstruction for the RedBlacks.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:31 am

c-way-dude wrote:If they wanted, they might be able to convert seats at the top of the lower decks to suites. Winnipeg did that at their old stadium, cutting capacity by about 3500. Ottawa also did that many years ago with their north side deck. Oddly enough, they took out the suites in the north side deck and replaced them with seats during the reconstruction for the RedBlacks.

As stated above, the Esks have 30 suites already, plus their club seats. Why would they need more?
All-Star

by brianjoxx » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:56 am

jamie wrote:I don't think ANYONE in Edmonton would support tearing anything down and rebuilding in Commonweath.
It is a great outdoor stadium that has been responsibly maintained and upgraded continually. Completely comfortable for those who go to games. Affordable tix as well.

Very well said. Great stadium that can hold all kind of events but as far as CFL games its very FAN user friendly and has been upgrade to keep it a first rate facility. Some of the new hockey rinks offer more prime seats at a higher cost
and are NOT FAN friendly just more money for owners.
Starter

PreviousNext