Media

Media

by ed ohmnes » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:59 pm

I think it's time the cfl makes a decision to ban media from the dressing rooms, let the players have some space and get cleaned up with out being pestered and hounded immediately after every game. They can wait around and do interviews before or after the games, but they should no longer be allowed in the locker rooms. I think that should be their right to privacy after the game
Starter

Re: Media

by depopulationINC » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Ed Hervey agrees and then some.
All-Star

by ed ohmnes » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Well they have no business in there, that should be the players sanctuary, they have all week after the game.
Starter

by 300Magnum » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:58 pm

Media has been in the dressing rooms the day after the sport page was invented, but I am sure that something can be worked out.

Dont know why there isnt a media room just off the dressing room where the QB and maybe a few other guys who the media wants to quiz can take questions.
Starter

by HfxTC » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Stupid idea. Why would any reporter even bother to show up to games ??? Keep the doors close for 45 minutes for players to blow steam and wash up then open the doors for 30 mintutes then let the players leave.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by cartman20 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Trainer's room is traditionally off limits to the media. The guys that don't want to talk will usually hide in there until the cameras and notebooks are gone. In my younger days in Winnipeg I got to cover many Jets games for both TV and radio stations. The crankiest athlete we ever encountered was Randy Carlyle who HATED the media....he would guzzle a couple of beers in the trainer's room until we left.....class A &^$#.
Starter

by depopulationINC » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:36 pm

Locker room is where you usually get some of the best soundbites....head full of steam and all....you are going to get a more raw response there than at a presser via media availability. CFL locker rooms are actually a lot more restrictive than most sports already TBH. Most are open multi days of the week...the NFL as an example is open 45 minutes per day 4 non-game days per week. These locker room sessions allow media to actually get sound bites from lots of players. It is not like they are going to set up post-game podium access for every player...that would take hours. The only other real option is hoping to catch them taking a breather in practice or walking off the field...in short it is a superb time to actually interview players and allow a connection to the fans...something the NFL has done a great job of recognizing and nurturing. If anything, they should be opening access more IMO.
All-Star

by depopulationINC » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:38 pm

Oh, and for hahas I just googled it a bit. This is a pretty good article on it:

http://3downnation.com/2016/05/11/cfl-m ... -own-fans/

Come a little closer to the fire, CFL, we need to hold your feet to it.

Despite all the positive moves you’ve made in officiating concerns, in determinedly targeting a younger demographic, firming up drug testing and planting a stronger footprint in Toronto, you’re dropping the ball with your media policy.

Coming from a media guy that must sound a little self-serving but it’s really about fans, and potential fans, not the writers, broadcasters and bloggers who make up the Football Reporters of Canada.

“We’re your, the fans’, representatives,” says FRC president Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun. “We’re there because you can’t be there. So players can essentially talk to you, the public.”

Jones and The Spectator’s Drew Edwards met with CFL commissioner Jeffrey Orridge in mid-winter, hoping to get reporters the same kind of multiday access to locker rooms that the NFL media has and which Canadian media once did.

Now, in direct contrast to pro hockey, baseball and basketball in this country, football locker rooms are effectively off-limits at all times except for the hour or so directly after a game.

But, in a recent email Jones, wrote, “The new CFL media policy will specify that the dressing rooms should be open for a half-hour once a week. But when they got finished adding clauses to that, it effectively offers the option of no change.”

Why does that matter? Because the media is a conduit from players to fans and that conduit runs most informatively, accurately and interestingly when it’s used more often, and more openly.

“The most important part is that the NFL allows access to the dressing room, over and above game days, four days a week for 45 minutes,” Jones says. “Enough time to do you job, and look for other ideas.”

In most CFL markets now — and, to be fair, the Tiger-Cats have usually been very co-operative in providing requested players to The Spectator — there are no prepractice interviews, and post-practice interviews are conducted either on the field, or a space near the dressing room. But there is limited time allowed, there’s usually a company representative nearby, and it’s difficult to talk to more than a couple of players in a session.

If, for instance, you want to take the temperature of the whole team on a general football concept, you can’t just slip by a dozen or more locker stalls and ask for the occupants’ quick thoughts. The resulting story isn’t as full as it could have been.

Plus, it precludes the accidental discovery of a great story because the reporter doesn’t get unprompted ideas from the players themselves. The CFL should recognize how much that hurts their television partner. The NFL gives its media far more access for one reason only: more intimate, focused, coverage drives up TV ratings.

Players think they don’t want the media in their “home” but it always turns out in the long run that, with the odd dramatic exception, they do. Otherwise, only a few marquee players get repeated exposure.

Casual contact encourages trust and relationships and players will say things they wouldn’t in a more formal, monitored, setting. Management can be afraid of this, understandably, because it could lead to disgruntled players lighting a wick.

“But what happens far more often is you’ll get a back story that not even the team knows about, and it’s a great read for the public,” Jones counters. “And the fans will have a favourite player that they didn’t have the day before.”

With rosters changing more frequently than ever before, and television ratings in decline the past couple of years, how beneficial would that be to the health of the league? The only answer is “very!”

The league loves to boast about fans’ accessibility and one season that was actually its marketing slogan. Well CFL, put your media where your motto is because whether the league likes it or not, the football media still represents your potential audience and what they really want to read and hear about.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:45 pm

depopulationINC wrote:Locker room is where you usually get some of the best soundbites....head full of steam and all....you are going to get a more raw response there than at a presser via media availability. CFL locker rooms are actually a lot more restrictive than most sports already TBH. Most are open multi days of the week...the NFL as an example is open 45 minutes per day 4 non-game days per week. These locker room sessions allow media to actually get sound bites from lots of players. It is not like they are going to set up post-game podium access for every player...that would take hours. The only other real option is hoping to catch them taking a breather in practice or walking off the field...in short it is a superb time to actually interview players and allow a connection to the fans...something the NFL has done a great job of recognizing and nurturing. If anything, they should be opening access more IMO.

Its especially important for the radio guys who do post game shows. Often they get a bigger audience after the game when people switch away from their TV or drive home from the game.

Its kind of weird to see Doug Brown take that angle when he spent his career leaking to the press and investing in his media career ????
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by depopulationINC » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:48 pm

HfxTC wrote:
depopulationINC wrote:Locker room is where you usually get some of the best soundbites....head full of steam and all....you are going to get a more raw response there than at a presser via media availability. CFL locker rooms are actually a lot more restrictive than most sports already TBH. Most are open multi days of the week...the NFL as an example is open 45 minutes per day 4 non-game days per week. These locker room sessions allow media to actually get sound bites from lots of players. It is not like they are going to set up post-game podium access for every player...that would take hours. The only other real option is hoping to catch them taking a breather in practice or walking off the field...in short it is a superb time to actually interview players and allow a connection to the fans...something the NFL has done a great job of recognizing and nurturing. If anything, they should be opening access more IMO.

Its especially important for the radio guys who do post game shows. Often they get a bigger audience after the game when people switch away from their TV or drive home from the game.

Its kind of weird to see Doug Brown take that angle when he spent his career leaking to the press and investing in his media career ????

very good point on the radio shows. That access is huge for them.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:51 pm

You can also end up with backlash. The Alouettes never recovered after Don Matthews physically removed some reporters out of his locker room (they had published his depth chart) and banished them.

To this day some of these guys are still on a vendetta against the team.

What if reporters just stop showing up ?
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:53 pm

Another problem I've notice since the league implemented its restriction is the day after the game all outlets have exactly the same content because all the guys are interviewing the same couple of guys all at the same time.
Hall of Famer

by Preisst » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:20 pm

Personally I have no use for any of it.

I watch the football games for the football and don't give two poops about a "soundbite" or seeing interviews with players spewing the same old rehearsed lines they've been using for decades.

I have no use for the National Enquirer/TMZ aspect of the sport.
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by depopulationINC » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Preisst wrote:Personally I have no use for any of it.

I watch the football games for the football and don't give two poops about a "soundbite" or seeing interviews with players spewing the same old rehearsed lines they've been using for decades.

Surprising you would hit up forums
All-Star

by Preisst » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:40 pm

depopulationINC wrote:
Preisst wrote:Personally I have no use for any of it.

Surprising you would hit up forums

Not sure why, I love to talk football with football fans. Not sure what my distaste for senseless blather has to do with that.
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

Next