The VGCC

The VGCC

by Big Dave » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:31 pm

Hi everyone,
The time of year is fast approaching when football is on all our minds. The regulars on this board know that the Virtual Grey Cup Challenge is a part of that.

Since 1999, I've been running the unofficial "pool'. Most of that time it has been hosted on this board, but in the early years it was on other sites.

We've always gotten a good turnout, with lots of people making picks and some lively discussions. I've had a good time doing it, and I hope everyone has had as good a time participating.

That said, I feel the time has come for me to retire. Now that I am older, I no longer have the energy to enter picks and post standings, week in and week out. So I will no longer be running the VGCC.

I'm aware that some of you have been keeping track of the picks yourselves, and some have been doing a better job at it than I have. So I would be proud if someone else took over my position, and kept this thing going for years to come. I leave it to you to make the decision as to who will take on this role.

The rules are available at http://home.sourcecable.net/~roddick/vgcc_rules.htm. These should give you a good starting point; download them, and feel free to make changes to them as you see fit. Also, the VGCC awards are at http://home.sourcecable.net/~roddick/vgcc_awards.htm. It would be nice if you could maintain them as well.

I will still come around the CFL forum from time to time, and may even participate in the VGCC.

Thank you all for participating,

"Big" Dave Roddick
People who think they know everything annoy those of us who do.
Starter

Re: The VGCC

by Dust » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:41 pm

You got me all excited and then I read that you're retiring :(

You've done a great job maintaining and keeping this going for 17 years (making me feel old). Well deserved retirement BigDave!
All-Star

by cflisthebest » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:21 pm

We need to keep it going somehow
A Proud member of the Rider Nation!
All-Star

by papazoola » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:44 pm

......Sad to hear Dave.....Really enjoyed all of the years you put in keeping the board standings the way you did....and excellently done I might add...Well I support your decision I'm feeling something is going to be missing in 17 and can't help feeling a little sad :( I hope someone else takes it on... I'm glad you're going out a winner...(maybe not in the standings :wink: but as a great CFL fan and overseer of the VGCC)....
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what's NOT being said....AnonymousImage
Hall of Famer

by Abendschan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Big Dave wrote:I'm aware that some of you have been keeping track of the picks yourselves, and some have been doing a better job at it than I have. So I would be proud if someone else took over my position, and kept this thing going for years to come. I leave it to you to make the decision as to who will take on this role.

I will still come around the CFL forum from time to time, and may even participate in the VGCC.

Thank you all for participating,

"Big" Dave Roddick

Big piece of history the VGCC has on this forum is special I find. To keep this football pool up and running, one would need position rights with similar options that moderators have.
Saskatchewan Roughriders - Rider Nation
Los Angeles Rams - Ram Nation in LA
Rookie

by MrLucky » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Big Dave, Really sorry to hear that, I enjoy the VGCC so much ... That being said, thank you once again for running this for us each year. After so much time, you deserve the break from running this event. Thank you for giving us all so much entertainment over the years! The VGCC was probably the most liked and participated in portion of this entire Forum.

Thank you Big Dave!

*Standing Ovation for you as you exit stage left*

:cowboy:
Starter

by ArgoT » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Thank you very much Dave for all your hard work over the years.
Hope you still come around on a regular basis.
All-Star

by rpaege » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Thanks for all you've done, Dave. You've made this forum always enjoyable, and at times the VGCC is the only thing enjoyable. I wish you well in retirement, and hope to see you win the thing some day! Good luck!

I hope we can find someone willing to take this on. I can help from time to time, but I can't commit to regular or long-term help.
ImageImage
All-Star