Esks GM Ed Hervey relieved of duties

Re: Esks GM Ed Hervey relieved of duties

by bobo82 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:12 am

HfxTC wrote:Rhodes wanted him gone... His need to vent and satisfaction at the press conference is undeniable.

It would appear that most Eskimo fans are in Hervey's corner on this one . Yup , a lot of irate unhappy fans right now in Eskie land and Rhodes has become public enemy number # 1 with a lot of fans threatening cancellations of their Season tickets as long as this clown is in charge of things in Edmonton .

http://www.esksfans.com/forum/showthrea ... -GM-Duties

In other news , the sales of Pitchforks and Torches have gone right through the roof in Edmonton since this announcement was officially made . If I was Rhodes right now I would be barricading myself inside the Ivory Tower and raising up the draw bridge . Image
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by HfxTC » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:19 am

They can't cancel their seats for this season. Rhodes has their money and refusing to give it back. Many have tried.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by bobo82 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:12 pm

HfxTC wrote:They can't cancel their seats for this season. Rhodes has their money and refusing to give it back. Many have tried.

Sad but true , I wonder what his excuse will be when attendance goes down even further this year ? especially if the team gets off to a slow start and the walk up crowd starts dwindling . This guy Rhodes sounds like your typical no nothing upper management type of moron who has a cork stuck in his head mentality . Typical garden variety out of touch D-Bag wearing a 3 piece suit . One of the most moronic things ever heard at a presser.....Sure we won the Grey Cup BUT it wasn't good enough, attendance didn't improve. .... WHAT ??!?? I guess no one told Hervey that part of the job as a GM was to also man the ticket window and handle the team's Ad campaign as well . I guess that nobody told him that he also maybe should've also won the Stanley Cup , Super Bowl and the World Series as well to be considered "Good " Enough to satisfy the Suits upstairs . :roll:

One things for sure , while fans in Edmonton are ready to riot ,pilfer and burn the town to the ground over this , there is four other fan bases that are most likely doing the happy dance complete with handstands and back flips over this latest setback in the land of the Shmoes . :cowboy:
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by HfxTC » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:48 pm

I don't think he's played out the scenarios too well. There is absolutely no upside to this for Rhodes. It will just accelerate his demise.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by depopulationINC » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:58 pm

bobo82 wrote:
HfxTC wrote:They can't cancel their seats for this season. Rhodes has their money and refusing to give it back. Many have tried.

Sad but true , I wonder what his excuse will be when attendance goes down even further this year ? especially if the team gets off to a slow start and the walk up crowd starts dwindling . This guy Rhodes sounds like your typical no nothing upper management type of moron who has a cork stuck in his head mentality . Typical garden variety out of touch D-Bag wearing a 3 piece suit . One of the most moronic things ever heard at a presser.....Sure we won the Grey Cup BUT it wasn't good enough, attendance didn't improve. .... WHAT ??!?? I guess no one told Hervey that part of the job as a GM was to also man the ticket window and handle the team's Ad campaign as well . I guess that nobody told him that he also maybe should've also won the Stanley Cup , Super Bowl and the World Series as well to be considered "Good " Enough to satisfy the Suits upstairs . :roll:

One things for sure , while fans in Edmonton are ready to riot ,pilfer and burn the town to the ground over this , there is four other fan bases that are most likely doing the happy dance complete with handstands and back flips over this latest setback in the land of the Shmoes . :cowboy:

The board backed this move for a reason. Rhodes is not alone on this one. Let's see how long it takes Hervey to land a job in the league again and see if that is an indicator of grander pictures on this one.

Personally...I think this helps the Esks in the long term. I know people are upset because he brought them a cup, but I jut don't think he was as good of a GM as people thought. The biggest parts of his success were surrounded by getting Reilly and him working out and getting rid of a really horrid coaching staff that the team didn't play for. He was far from alone on the new players brought in and that shows because he really has not been able to replace players that have departed in my eyes. He seemed solid as heck at bringing in good staff...I will say that...and I think he was a respectable GM though not as good as people are portraying....but he played too many games and stepped on too many toes. At the end of the day Ed refused to do things his bosses asked of him and wanted more authority. How long would you last in your job if you did that?

I will say this...The fact that this CFL story stole headlines headlines going into the Oilers being playoff bound is impressive.
All-Star

by HfxTC » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:13 pm

There are two things going on here.

1-Ed Hervey: Yes he was abrasive and unaware of the political forces he was taking on but he is an Eskimo lifer. Rhodes treated him very poorly on Friday. In fact he treated him a lot worse than he did Tillman ! That was a mistake being anass because the other guy was anass is not going to help Rhodes.

2- Len Rhodes: His claim is that Attendance dropped after a GC because of Ed's isolationist policies. I think that is laughable. I don't think you can find ONE Eskimo fan who will admit that he stopped going to Eskimo games because the locker room is closed, Maas won't allow himself to be mic'd or that Ed is mean to a couple reporters. Now Len is free to do whatever he wants so it is just a matter of time before the board uses him as a meat shield like he did Hervey :)

Rhodes has a better shot at beating prostate cancer than he does beating the odds he just created for himself with the Eskimos. Len won the battle with Ed but he will lose the war with the fans.
Hall of Famer

by depopulationINC » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:43 pm

HfxTC wrote:There are two things going on here.

1-Ed Hervey: Yes he was abrasive and unaware of the political forces he was taking on but he is an Eskimo lifer. Rhodes treated him very poorly on Friday. In fact he treated him a lot worse than he did Tillman ! That was a mistake being anass because the other guy was anass is not going to help Rhodes.

2- Len Rhodes: His claim is that Attendance dropped after a GC because of Ed's isolationist policies. I think that is laughable. I don't think you can find ONE Eskimo fan who will admit that he stopped going to Eskimo games because the locker room is closed, Maas won't allow himself to be mic'd or that Ed is mean to a couple reporters. Now Len is free to do whatever he wants so it is just a matter of time before the board uses him as a meat shield like he did Hervey :)

Rhodes has a better shot at beating prostate cancer than he does beating the odds he just created for himself with the Eskimos. Len won the battle with Ed but he will lose the war with the fans.

1 - He was not unaware at all actually. There was a long history of he and Rhodes discussing the matter. Rhodes did not go into that in a lot of detail in his interview, but did indicate that they had discussed issues. I know some more details on that than some do, but I do know that it has been out there about some of their talks.

2 - Len never said that attendance dropped because of that...not that I have seen. He stated that it was at the end of the day his responsibility but indicated that the paths forward to improve it were essentially scoffed at by his subordinate. Ed refused to do what was asked of him to try to combat that. There is a difference between stating the cause of attendance drops and the action plan you have to try to stem the issue.
All-Star

by Lyle B. Style » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:10 pm

Rhodes said he'd mike up all the disgruntled fans for TSN - if they continue to pelt him with abuse! :cowboy:
All-Star

by Grover » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:18 pm

Grover wrote:gary lawless‏Verified account @garylawless 3h3 hours ago
1. there have been some questions about why @EdmontonEsks CANNOT hire an employee from another club at this stage for vacant GM position

2. here are key clauses of #cfl #cfl ant-tampering rule:

3. a) permission in writing has been first obtained from the non-player employee’s current Club (President or General Manager)

4. b) approval in writing by the Commissioner or his delegate copied to both Clubs and the non-player employee

5. (key one right now for @EdmontonEsks) (c) the contact above shall only be permitted during the two-month time period of Dec 1 to Jan. 31;

Okay, so now there is confusion

From Justin Dunk

Riders’ Jeremy O’Day to interview with Eskimos
Posted on April 12, 2017 by Justin Dunk // 0 Comments

Saskatchewan Roughriders assistant vice president, football operations and administration Jeremy O’Day is preparing to interview for the vacant Edmonton Eskimos general manager position, per sources.

After O’Day spent 14 seasons playing in the CFL, the final 12 with the Riders, the four-time CFL all-star offensive lineman moved into the front office with Saskatchewan in 2011. He spent four seasons as the assistant general manager. In August 2015 O’Day was named interim general manager for the final nine games of the season. Then he interviewed for the permanent job that off-season, which eventually went to Chris Jones who retained O’Day and added John Murphy as essentially assistant general managers.

O’Day interviewed for the Eskimos general manager job when the team hired Ed Hervey in December 2012.

He won Grey Cups as a player in 1997 with Toronto and 2007 while on the Riders and the 42-year-old earned a Grey Cup ring as a football executive with Saskatchewan in 2013.

The Eskimos unexpectedly fired Hervey last Friday after four seasons at the helm with president Len Rhodes citing philosophical differences.

With the window for CFL teams to interview front office personnel from other clubs closed, Edmonton would have needed permission from both the league and the Riders in order to speak to O’Day and will have to follow the same process should they wish to interview other candidates currently under contract.

and now Lawless adds

gary lawless‏Verified account @garylawless 5m5 minutes ago
further to @JDunk12 on @EdmontonEsks speaking to @sskroughriders asst GM Jeremy O'Day. Window is closed. But #cfl commish can adjudicate.

gary lawless‏Verified account @garylawless 2m2 minutes ago
under #cfl constitution, commissioner can adjudicate to waive a bylaw in special cirucmstances. sounds like he did that for @EdmontonEsks
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:55 am

bobo82 wrote:

To be fair though, if your sales and marketing guys are saying "To attract more fans, we need more access" and your response is "Too bad...if anything less access" and then shows an unwillingness to work or compromise with marketing, and indeed ownership, then that's a failure of the GM.
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

by West » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:02 pm

I don't get this move. I guess he didn't fit the vision. He still made an impact on the organization on the field as well as in role of GM. I'll miss Ed. Great man.
All-Star

by brianjoxx » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:02 pm

bobo82 wrote:

okay I'm not going to say Nonsense Again. But its crap nonsense,

IT CAME DOWN TO MONEY! Next contract. More money more control wanted by this very average GM.
MOST, YES MOST in Edmonton agree with the parting because it was going to happen any way next year.
Great team tradition of giving to the community, not me me me wants everything!!!
Good coaching staff and management team. They will do just fine this season.
Jones or Hervey most arrogant person.????

Remember Jack Gotta, Hugh Campbell, Ron Lancaster, John Huffnagel. All great givers, well like coaches & people,
Starter

Previous