2016 Financial Reports

Re: 2016 Financial Reports

by HfxTC » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:03 am

Argofan_1000 wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:
HfxTC wrote:Miller needs to improve the team's bottom line by about 2 million either through increased revenues or cutting expenses or a combination of the two.

:thup:

I know Winnipeg needed a new stadium, but the price seemed awfully steep.

I think paying the 2nd mortgage off before the main one is smart. Then build up the reserve fund again and go and renegotiate the loan for a much better interest rate. Get rid of the transit burden also. I don't know how they wind up paying for that.

Bombers had 1/4 million fans come out. they could make an additional $2.5 million from the supporters and could then pay for everything if they raised just $10 more from each of them through additional fans, concessions, parking, Bomber gear, ticket prices, corporate support, boxes etc. I don't think it would be that hard to do for this team and I wouldn't wait.

When all this was planned, there was no NHL hockey team in town. That makes competing for the dollars and the free exposure much more difficult.
Bombers have done a good job overall. A solid B+. You don't see that organization wasting half a million going to Vero Beach for example. They need to micromanage their expenses (size and staff pay, cost of injured roster...) and constantly work at improving the revenue streams you speak of and will do fine.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by RichardVeilleux » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:01 pm

So, by going to Vero Beach for a three-day spring training -April 10,11 and 12- the Alouettes will be wasting half a million. Can you enlighten me, HfxTC?

I do know that 65 or so players will take part and that 70% to 75% of them are Int. players residing in the States. To me, the costs will be less than $100,000 and probably less,particularly due to travel costs, than if it was held in Montreal. Maybe I am missing something and it is why I would like to be enlighten.

Richard
All-Star

by Argofan_1000 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:14 pm

RichardVeilleux wrote:So, by going to Vero Beach for a three-day spring training -April 10,11 and 12- the Alouettes will be wasting half a million. Can you enlighten me, HfxTC?

I do know that 65 or so players will take part and that 70% to 75% of them are Int. players residing in the States. To me, the costs will be less than $100,000 and probably less,particularly due to travel costs, than if it was held in Montreal. Maybe I am missing something and it is why I would like to be enlighten.

Richard

If it were 1/2 a million per club then the CFL should buy there own training facility in Vero Beach. Just looked and a 40 - 50 acre site is less than a million. Maybe the owners should look at that anyway
Veteran

by slimjim2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:59 pm

Argofan_1000 wrote:
RichardVeilleux wrote:So, by going to Vero Beach for a three-day spring training -April 10,11 and 12- the Alouettes will be wasting half a million. Can you enlighten me, HfxTC?

Richard

If it were 1/2 a million per club then the CFL should buy there own training facility in Vero Beach. Just looked and a 40 - 50 acre site is less than a million. Maybe the owners should look at that anyway

If you look at the Financial Reports put out by the Esks, Riders and Bombers the costs to run the entire June training camp is around 500k for each of the 3 teams, I assume all teams would be around the same cost.
How could a 3 day spring training cost the same amount of money?
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:14 pm

slimjim2 wrote:If you look at the Financial Reports put out by the Esks, Riders and Bombers the costs to run the entire June training camp is around 500k for each of the 3 teams, I assume all teams would be around the same cost.
How could a 3 day spring training cost the same amount of money?

Free donuts?

Either way, there are costs to be cut - if necessary.
All-Star

by Argofan_1000 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:08 pm

anyone know if the General Meetings have happened for WBB's, EE's or SRR's ?

went quite
Veteran

by depopulationINC » Mon May 08, 2017 8:38 pm

Argofan_1000 wrote:

Richard

no kidding...1/2 a mil...not a chance. No idea how someone could come up with that number.
The staff is all paid for though you might bring in some support people for a maybe 10k for the few days
staff and players you have accommodations for maybe 60 people....so lets say lodging and meals is 120/day x3 (which is probably generous because there would be a lot of bunking)...that is like 21k...let's round up to 30k.
now lets be very generous and say it was 1000 per person to commute...that is 60k
so you are at best at 100k and there is no way that field is costing >10k a day even with insurance

let's be honest....for most of the teams it would probably cost more to have them come to Canada for a few days. The accommodations are going to be somewhat similar but for most teams the commute would be way more. Probably the best place to do it would be Nevada if you wanted to save a dime.
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Mon May 08, 2017 10:41 pm

BigJoeM wrote:The great thing about Td Place in Ottawa is the arena is still capable of getting some descent acts like comedians Bill Burr and acts like Def leppard and of course this year the G n R concert outdoors and the NHL game in December .

Hamilton it appears is not active in getting acts .

The CPL maybe better suited in getting the stadiums more active in the long run .

Should also add, apart from the Vanier Cup (which sadly was a bust despite being a great game) and the initial Keith Urban concert, another one is coming this year and they have a nitro circus event.

However, like you said, getting the CanPL up and running and drawing will be a big deal.
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

by jonny24eh » Tue May 09, 2017 8:51 am

THF is hosting Billy Talent, as well as Rugby Canada vs USA this summer.
The poster formerly known as jonny24.

Eat'em raw!
Starter

by Grover » Tue May 09, 2017 9:42 am

After decades of struggling financially, the Ti Cats with the new Stadium are now stable.
You just know that Bob Young will take every penny of profit and re-invest it into the Team and Stadium

In the midst of what Hamilton Tiger-Cats CEO Scott Mitchell calls a period of "great stability" within the organization, there is still one more challenge for the team — and the league — to conquer: changing the demographics of the fan base.

The Ticats held their annual season-preview conference call Wednesday, and Mitchell painted a rosy picture of the team's fan support. They expect to continue their string of sellouts, currently at 27, through the 2017 season. Corporate sponsorships around Tim Hortons Field are also completely sold out.

But the CFL has traditionally struggled in attracting younger fans. A 2015 study from the University of Lethbridge found that the league's top demographic was men 55 and over, with 47 per cent of respondents saying they followed the league. That dropped to 39 per cent for males those between the ages of 35 and 54, and to 26 per cent for those at 18 to 34.

However, the team and the CFL has made a strong push to attract a younger audience over the past couple of years, and Mitchell says that's starting to pay dividends.

"We're very excited in the trends we're seeing in new season seat holders and our renewals of our first- and second-year season seat holders," he said. "It's allowed us to change the demographics within our fan base, combining that younger demographic with our hardcore fans."

According to Matt Afinec, the executive vice-president business operations, the team has added a number of new season ticket holders since moving into Tim Hortons Field mid-way through 2014. Many of those are young families and millennials attracted to affordable season ticket packages and "out of seat" viewing areas like end zones and concourses, as well as the branded spaces like Coors Light Patio and the Pioneer Energy Zone.

"Keeping this segment engaged in the brand via purchasing season seats is crucial to our business," Afinec said, adding, "the premium inventory at Tim Hortons Field such as the club level and suites has been a transformational part of our business."

After struggling financially for years, Mitchell says the Ticats have achieved economic stability since moving into the new facility.
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:08 am

Grover wrote:After decades of struggling financially, the Ti Cats with the new Stadium are now stable.
You just know that Bob Young will take every penny of profit and re-invest it into the Team and Stadium

In the midst of what Hamilton Tiger-Cats CEO Scott Mitchell calls a period of "great stability" within the organization, there is still one more challenge for the team — and the league — to conquer: changing the demographics of the fan base.

The Ticats held their annual season-preview conference call Wednesday, and Mitchell painted a rosy picture of the team's fan support. They expect to continue their string of sellouts, currently at 27, through the 2017 season. Corporate sponsorships around Tim Hortons Field are also completely sold out.

But the CFL has traditionally struggled in attracting younger fans. A 2015 study from the University of Lethbridge found that the league's top demographic was men 55 and over, with 47 per cent of respondents saying they followed the league. That dropped to 39 per cent for males those between the ages of 35 and 54, and to 26 per cent for those at 18 to 34.

However, the team and the CFL has made a strong push to attract a younger audience over the past couple of years, and Mitchell says that's starting to pay dividends.

"We're very excited in the trends we're seeing in new season seat holders and our renewals of our first- and second-year season seat holders," he said. "It's allowed us to change the demographics within our fan base, combining that younger demographic with our hardcore fans."

According to Matt Afinec, the executive vice-president business operations, the team has added a number of new season ticket holders since moving into Tim Hortons Field mid-way through 2014. Many of those are young families and millennials attracted to affordable season ticket packages and "out of seat" viewing areas like end zones and concourses, as well as the branded spaces like Coors Light Patio and the Pioneer Energy Zone.

"Keeping this segment engaged in the brand via purchasing season seats is crucial to our business," Afinec said, adding, "the premium inventory at Tim Hortons Field such as the club level and suites has been a transformational part of our business."

After struggling financially for years, Mitchell says the Ticats have achieved economic stability since moving into the new facility.

:thup: :thup: :thup:
All-Star

by rhymes with orange » Tue May 09, 2017 5:08 pm

A 2015 study from the University of Lethbridge found that the league's top demographic was men 55 and over, with 47 per cent of respondents saying they followed the league.

Out of curiosity, golf likely features the same demographics, at least age wise (men 55 and over). A lot of middle aged white guys sit at home on Sunday afternoons and watch golf. Does the PGA fret about this? There doesn't appear to be a shortage of advertising sponsors for PGA tournaments which don't attract a lot of millennial viewers either.

I am not saying the CFL shouldn't continue efforts to woo the 18-34s as they are attractive to advertisers and will help supplant the current generation of fans to ensure the cycle is regenerated. But is as really as bad as we're all making it out to be?
Proud B.C. Lions season ticket holder since 1995.
All-Star

by Argofan_1000 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:25 pm

rhymes with orange wrote:
A 2015 study from the University of Lethbridge found that the league's top demographic was men 55 and over, with 47 per cent of respondents saying they followed the league.

Out of curiosity, golf likely features the same demographics, at least age wise (men 55 and over). A lot of middle aged white guys sit at home on Sunday afternoons and watch golf. Does the PGA fret about this? There doesn't appear to be a shortage of advertising sponsors for PGA tournaments which don't attract a lot of millennial viewers either.

I am not saying the CFL shouldn't continue efforts to woo the 18-34s as they are attractive to advertisers and will help supplant the current generation of fans to ensure the cycle is regenerated. But is as really as bad as we're all making it out to be?

This is the Globe and Mail survey from 2016. CFL is doing quite well in all age groups

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/b ... e30015716/
Veteran

by ArgoT » Tue May 09, 2017 6:54 pm

Except one important thing with this comparison, golf is not a sport.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:01 pm

ArgoT wrote:

Except one important thing with this comparison, golf is not a sport.

Of course it is... just like Chess. :rockin:
All-Star

PreviousNext