Negotiating Lists

Negotiating Lists

by Mr. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:39 pm

Ti-Cats are revealing their negotiating lists. It's about time the teams do this!!

http://www.tsn.ca/ticats-to-become-firs ... t-1.711668
Rookie

Re: Negotiating Lists

by Argofan_1000 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:09 pm

Mr. wrote:Ti-Cats are revealing their negotiating lists. It's about time the teams do this!!

I'm with you. I can't see a downside to this. I had no idea it was 45 players though.
Veteran

by idealsheldon » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:44 pm

I`m certainly going to be in the minority on this, but I really have no interest in knowing the players on the Als neg. list.

Do we even know what percentage of neg. list players actually sign with a team?

I would much rather focus my attention and interest on the players who are actually on the team rather than fantasizing over players I most likely will never see.
"The road to the truth is always under construction."

Memo to self: Keep it short.....Keep it interesting.....No personal attacks.
All-Star

by GHT120 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:46 pm

idealsheldon wrote:I`m certainly going to be in the minority on this, but I really have no interest in knowing the players on the Als neg. list.

I would much rather focus my attention and interest on the players who are actually on the team rather than fantasizing over players I most likely will never see.

I wouldn't know most/any of the names but it would be interesting to see if the team is making good use of the list or feathering it with ridiculous pipe dreams; for example, Popp apparently had Russel Wilson still on the list after he was established as an NFL star.

Don't see any downside in them being public, althought the CFL would have to also keep them up to date.
All-Star

by EastVanMark » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:10 am

Argofan_1000 wrote:
Mr. wrote:Ti-Cats are revealing their negotiating lists. It's about time the teams do this!!

I'm with you. I can't see a downside to this. I had no idea it was 45 players though.

X2.
Anything that gets people talking CFL is good for business. Makes the NCAA bowl season A LOT more relevant up here when you can watch who your team has on their neg list. This is literally 20 years overdue. I just hope more teams decide to get out of the stone ages with this.

For proof, witness just how much hype Hamilton's neg list has ALREADY generated and its just came out. Now rumours will run wild the moment Manziel doesn't sign with an NFL team. Would make for a great build up to an eventual signing in Hamilton and subsequent talk of a QB dilemma with Zach Collaros. Even if he came up here and stunk it up, that would raise the "legitimacy" of the league in the Rogers Communications crowd. Literally win win win all the way around.

People talking Ticats is great for business.
All-Star

by okie » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:31 am

Argofan_1000 wrote:I had no idea it was 45 players though.

That might just be for the off-season because the number is reduced to 35 on May 15. Rookie camp starts shortly afterwards on May 24.
All-Star

by Neely2005 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 am

EastVanMark wrote:
Argofan_1000 wrote:

X2.
Anything that gets people talking CFL is good for business. Makes the NCAA bowl season A LOT more relevant up here when you can watch who your team has on their neg list. This is literally 20 years overdue. I just hope more teams decide to get out of the stone ages with this.

For proof, witness just how much hype Hamilton's neg list has ALREADY generated and its just came out. Now rumours will run wild the moment Manziel doesn't sign with an NFL team. Would make for a great build up to an eventual signing in Hamilton and subsequent talk of a QB dilemma with Zach Collaros. Even if he came up here and stunk it up, that would raise the "legitimacy" of the league in the Rogers Communications crowd. Literally win win win all the way around.

People talking Ticats is great for business.

Exactly, the more CFL talk the better for the league.
"ALL-TIME RECORDS

Grey Cup Wins:

16- Toronto Argonauts
14- Edmonton Eskimos
10- Winnipeg Blue Bombers
8- Hamilton Tiger-Cats
7- Ottawa Rough Riders
7- Montreal Alouettes
7- Calgary Stampeders
6- B.C. Lions
4- Saskatchewan Roughriders"

http://www.cfl.ca/2010/12/02/by-the-num ... cup-glory/
Veteran

by sth1988 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:27 am

As an Argos fan, it's difficult to thank the Ticats....but thank you. Now please. The rest of the league follow suit.
I never understood why there's so much secrecy around this list. Maybe wikileaks can get involved!
Rookie

by Grover » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:15 pm

idealsheldon wrote:I`m certainly going to be in the minority on this, but I really have no interest in knowing the players on the Als neg. list.

TiCats roster players from their Neg List

Larry Dean - Starting MLB
Cassius Vaughn - DB(started 9 gms last year)
Everett Golson - #3QB

Good read here on it
http://3downnation.com/2017/04/01/ticat ... nsparency/
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by canadianfootballfan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:18 pm

The neg list used to be just 35 players, but they were obviously expanded to 45 at some point. It shows that the amount of players available out there has increased.
Veteran

by bobo82 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:04 pm

canadianfootballfan wrote:The neg list used to be just 35 players, but they were obviously expanded to 45 at some point. It shows that the amount of players available out there has increased.

Kinda surprising when you consider that the neg lists have pretty much the same amount of players on them as the regular 46 man active game day rosters of CFL teams . In total we are looking at collectively as a league 405 players that have currently been placed on team's Neg lists . It would be interesting to see what the percentages are for how many of these players actually get signed to CFL contracts . My guess is that these numbers would be rather low , perhaps maybe 5% at best , if even that high which is very doubtful.
Last edited by bobo82 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by idealsheldon » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:38 pm

Grover wrote:

TiCats roster players from their Neg List

Larry Dean - Starting MLB
Cassius Vaughn - DB(started 9 gms last year)
Everett Golson - #3QB

Good read here on it
http://3downnation.com/2017/04/01/ticat ... nsparency/

3 players is quite a small percentage considering all the players that might have been on the Cats neg. list at the same time as these 3.

And if I was a Cats fan it would bother me that recent focus is on Manziel, when my team already has 2 pretty good QBs without any baggage.

I probably would be more curious to know the names of players who attend teams various tryout camps. At least these guys are available for immediate signing.

All-Star

by HfxTC » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:49 pm

sth1988 wrote:As an Argos fan, it's difficult to thank the Ticats....but thank you. Now please. The rest of the league follow suit.
I never understood why there's so much secrecy around this list. Maybe wikileaks can get involved!

iTS simple. a lot of the players on these lists are in the NCAA or the NFL. The NCAA in particular does not want their players showing up anywhere until draft eligibility. Basically they are contracted to schools and pro teams...
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by QQ One-Nine » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:18 pm

HfxTC wrote:
sth1988 wrote:As an Argos fan, it's difficult to thank the Ticats....but thank you. Now please. The rest of the league follow suit.

iTS simple. a lot of the players on these lists are in the NCAA or the NFL. The NCAA in particular does not want their players showing up anywhere until draft eligibility. Basically they are contracted to schools and pro teams...

True, but there's more to it than that.

The list is not confidential because of fan scrutiny. Teams already face that, they couldn't care any less if the neg list is picked apart.

It's confidential to players. Most of the players on it don't know they're on it because if a players triggers a negotiation, the team who has his rights has to sign him within 10 (I believe) days or lose his rights.

So in that scenario either you lose someone you thought had potential down the road by refusing to sign him or you're forced to cut someone to make room for him. Either way, you lose. Unless you keep your mouth shut and you attempt to sign him when it suits you.

I'm curious about who Ottawa might be looking at but if the guy's name being public reduces the chance of signing him, then screw it, I don't need to know that badly.

There have been a bunch of street free agents signed over the past couple of months that we don't know a thing about. Are we talking about them? Not really. Ottawa just signed Sherrod Baltimore today. Did I miss the discussion?

So I don't know why anyone thinks the negotiation list is going to be any kind of great conversation starter. We won't know these guys and the ones we do know, we get made aware of anyway.
“This isn’t about why football doesn’t work in Ottawa,” said (Jeff) Hunt, “It’s more, on a larger scale, why poorly run businesses don’t work anywhere.” Ottawa Business Journal, September 12th, 2013.
All-Star

by idealsheldon » Sat May 20, 2017 11:56 am

Kavis Reed was asked yesterday about revealing neg lists, and he said he was against it because it would create expectations with fans.

Jim Popp was asked this question at the Argos fan forum and he said he would like to eliminate neg lists altogether. He said all unsigned players should be free agents and that the salary cap would prevent bidding wars.

I don`t agree with this at all. If I`m a player agent and my client has an offer, I`m going to do my due diligence and contact the other 8 teams to see if I can do better. It would turn contract offers into auctions, and there would be no end to haggling back and forth.

All-Star

Next