Where are the fans that like the CFL as is?

Re: Where are the fans that like the CFL as is?

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:45 am

brihind88 wrote:
canadianfootballfan wrote:This isn't a thread about what helmets you like. It's about people who like the CFL as is, rather than try to change everything about it.


Thanks for the call out.

That is on me. My fault.

I was the one who brought up the helmets.

However, as annoying as it can be, it is rare that any of our threads DO NOT go in a different direction.

In fact, the only one that has not got derailed is the cheerleader photo thread. :wink:


A boner will always keep a dude focused :thup:
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:52 pm

Re: Where are the fans that like the CFL as is?

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:47 am

canadianfootballfan wrote:This isn't a thread about what helmets you like. It's about people who like the CFL as is, rather than try to change everything about it.


CFF, this is a great idea for a thread. And Johnny agrees with you 100%. Our game is GREAT the way IT IS. :cowboy:

But, team colours are part of the fabric that makes up our league, is it not?
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:52 pm

Re: Where are the fans that like the CFL as is?

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:53 am

How about, the next guy that suggests the CFL goes to 4 downs, gets a 1 week ban from the forum! :cowboy:

Seriously! Only wimps in the NFL need 4 downs and 40 seconds between plays to gain 10 yards. Think about that...

Johnny doesn't know how minor league football is played in other provinces. But here in Quebec, the leagues beneath college level, play canadian rules but with 4 downs :thdn: The rationale for that is the coaches don't want to train only punters... :roll:

Coach your offense better, and you won't be punting so often! :cowboy:
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:52 pm

Re: Where are the fans that like the CFL as is?

by Johnny Ticat slayer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:03 am

bobo82 wrote:
PTBO Dave wrote:
rhymes with orange wrote:
The Stamps did indeed wear gold pants in the 2009 season as part of the league's retro look uniform that all teams had to wear for I think it was for 2 games each that year .
Image


The Alouettes had THE BEST retro uniform in 2009:

Image

The Ticats the worst!

Image
"Shut up Wesley!" Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Stardate 42354.7
User avatar
All-Star
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:52 pm

Re: Where are the fans that like the CFL as is?

by slimjim2 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:46 am

Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:How about, the next guy that suggests the CFL goes to 4 downs, gets a 1 week ban from the forum! :cowboy:

Seriously! Only wimps in the NFL need 4 downs and 40 seconds between plays to gain 10 yards. Think about that...

Johnny doesn't know how minor league football is played in other provinces. But here in Quebec, the leagues beneath college level, play canadian rules but with 4 downs :thdn: The rationale for that is the coaches don't want to train only punters... :roll:

Coach your offense better, and you won't be punting so often! :cowboy:


You make a good point about 4 downs , in Quebec they play CFL rules with 4 downs and the game is very popular in Quebec. Maybe it's something they should be looking at.
I was at a Grey Cup party and several people that were not CFL fans commented about 4 downs.
It was a good discussion point. Playing with 4 downs on a CFL sized field would open up the game, sustain drives and less of the too many 2 and outs and punting. No you don't have to adopt the NFL 40 seconds between plays.
It might attract more fans to the CFL, especially in places like Toronto where fans are not showing up to watch 3 downs.
All-Star
 
Posts: 1651
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: Where are the fans that like the CFL as is?

by BigJoeM » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:32 am

slimjim2 wrote:
Johnny Ticat slayer wrote:How about, the next guy that suggests the CFL goes to 4 downs, gets a 1 week ban from the forum! :cowboy:

Seriously! Only wimps in the NFL need 4 downs and 40 seconds between plays to gain 10 yards. Think about that...

Johnny doesn't know how minor league football is played in other provinces. But here in Quebec, the leagues beneath college level, play canadian rules but with 4 downs :thdn: The rationale for that is the coaches don't want to train only punters... :roll:

Coach your offense better, and you won't be punting so often! :cowboy:


You make a good point about 4 downs , in Quebec they play CFL rules with 4 downs and the game is very popular in Quebec. Maybe it's something they should be looking at.
I was at a Grey Cup party and several people that were not CFL fans commented about 4 downs.
It was a good discussion point. Playing with 4 downs on a CFL sized field would open up the game, sustain drives and less of the too many 2 and outs and punting. No you don't have to adopt the NFL 40 seconds between plays.
It might attract more fans to the CFL, especially in places like Toronto where fans are not showing up to watch 3 downs.


Not too often do I support Slim but when we had that one year where the offences stunk up the league a couple of seasons back I seriously thought of 4 downs . Since the new rules it opened the game up and in Ottawa at least
the last couple of years the team has been very entertaining . After sitting thru that first year I would have voted 4 downs in a heart beat for good reason not just for Ottawa the CFL on offence was boring and sluggish in 2014.

Now there is no need in 2017 but the CFL has to be aware it's about the league's survival and it has to adapt swiftly
or be left behind .

CFL is a harder game to play than NFL rules . There are kids leagues and schools with CFL sized fields playing CFL rules with 4 downs so the kids can sustain drives at an early age . I am not advocating change for change sake but as I said 2014 was a terrible year for watching CFL football and I am glad they fixed it .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Where are the fans that like the CFL as is?

by BigJoeM » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:24 am

[quote="Johnny Ticat slayer"]



The Alouettes had THE BEST retro uniform in 2009:

Image

I have to say I liked the clean look as well except now it's too much like Calgary's colours . The Stamps should have a nice dull grey cement pant and a grey stripe on the shirt between two white ones .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Where are the fans that like the CFL as is?

by ed ohmnes » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:06 am

I like the cfl the way it is, but for some reason some higher ups seem to think they need to change the rules all the time, sometimes I just think they have nothing better to do with their time, bored individuals with to much time on their hands. Kind of getting to be like the NHL. Starting to ruin the game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Starter
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: Where are the fans that like the CFL as is?

by StampsRock! » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:58 pm

Ed makes a good point, too much messing with the rules. The only problem now is that they did break the rules and they keep trying to fix it.
Biggest Stamps fan in Red Deer!
User avatar
Veteran
 
Posts: 561
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:17 am
Location: Red Deer, AB

Previous

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests