Did CFL & TSN botch the Regina Showcase?

Re: Did CFL & TSN botch the Regina Showcase?

by slimjim2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:13 am

HfxTC wrote:Let's just hope they don't kill the baby by starting to charge ridiculous prices for events or gouging people with price fixing of hotel rooms.

Are you talking about Grey Cup weekend?
It's like March break, hotel prices increase because of supply and demand. I wouldn't call it price fixing.
Same as air fares, try booking a flight south during March break and compare to the week after or before.
All-Star

by pikk » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:38 am

Grover wrote:Newspapers sports pages this morning

I 3was just going to say something about the sun and the great coverage. I would like to see TSN have a show on this week ,during the week next yr.
All-Star

by papazoola » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:28 pm

....Buono has it right....we can't just have CFL exposure from June to Nov.....Off season has got to get better as far as keeping the CFL in the media ....The next combine could see the tsn panel attend which would be a leg up...Get talking CFL early and often and it will bode well for the future and the young people who would take interest :thup:
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what's NOT being said....AnonymousImage
Hall of Famer

by HfxTC » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:37 pm

papazoola wrote:....Buono has it right....we can't just have CFL exposure from June to Nov.....Off season has got to get better as far as keeping the CFL in the media ....The next combine could see the tsn panel attend which would be a leg up...Get talking CFL early and often and it will bode well for the future and the young people who would take interest :thup:

I've been saying this for years. CFL doesn't know how to market itself. Outside of Hamilton And Saskatchewan the teams don't either.

This is a step in the right direction. If this league invested in itself it would not be stuck where it is today.
Everything I write is just an opinion formed from various sources. Some more reliable than others, it is expressed as a composite of facts, innuendos, emotions, personal experiences and complete fabulation into a gumbo for entertainment purposes alone.
Hall of Famer

by Grover » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra 2m2 minutes ago
Total numbers are in: #MarksCFLWeek generated 1,489 articles nationwide & more than 351 million global #media impressions. #CFL #CFLCombine
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by 300Magnum » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:35 pm

Paulo Senra @paulosenra
Total numbers are in: #MarksCFLWeek generated 1,489 articles nationwide & more than 351 million global #media impressions. #CFL #CFLCombine
12:30 PM - 27 Mar 2017 · Toronto, Ontario
Starter

by slimjim2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:44 pm

HfxTC wrote:
papazoola wrote:....Buono has it right....we can't just have CFL exposure from June to Nov.....Off season has got to get better as far as keeping the CFL in the media ....The next combine could see the tsn panel attend which would be a leg up...Get talking CFL early and often and it will bode well for the future and the young people who would take interest :thup:

I've been saying this for years. CFL doesn't know how to market itself. Outside of Hamilton And Saskatchewan the teams don't either.

This is a step in the right direction. If this league invested in itself it would not be stuck where it is today.

But that's not true, the Argos and the CFL did a huge marketing blitz last off season. TV ads with the Argos running through the CNE grounds, billboards all over the GTA, Argo and CFL ads on the subway and TTC. Mega coverage in the media about the move to BMO.
What more could they have done?
Ottawa has done a great job with marketing too in the past couple of years.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:44 pm

HfxTC wrote:

But that's not true, the Argos and the CFL did a huge marketing blitz last off season. TV ads with the Argos running through the CNE grounds, billboards all over the GTA, Argo and CFL ads on the subway and TTC. Mega coverage in the media about the move to BMO. The two games during the CNE with the free admission etc. The Argo kids "huddle up program"
http://www.argonauts.ca/community-2/
What more could they have done?????????????
Ottawa has also done a great job in marketing. The Redblacks/67s/Fury program. The 5 game plus Grey Cup mini-package blitz.
All-Star

by BCCFLFAN » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:44 pm

HfxTC wrote:

The league and club teams should work closely/intertwine together with marketing to make sure they are in the spotlight year round. Kudos to commissioner Orridge on this showcase. Now take the CFL to the next level with its marketing. Get new fans and younger fans to know about and excited about the CFL. :rockin:
Starter

by aulcee » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Grover wrote:Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra 2m2 minutes ago

The coverage was fine especially for the enagural year.A good idea by the CFL.So to answer the negative title of this thread ,No the CFL did not botch this.
Starter

by rpaege » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:16 pm

I REALLY enjoyed what I saw of it on ESPN. I thought they did a great job and the fan turn out was remarkable, but not surprising for Regina.

It's a great idea that should be destined to be a regular event that will grow over the years. I'll bet people will have all sorts of creative ideas for events throughout the week.
ImageImage
All-Star

by jamie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:29 pm

Another good accomplishment by the commish. One of many from a guy who stays in the background.
-drug policy
- coach tampering policy
-enforcement of established team fines
-oversaw Toronto sale
All-Star

by prairiewolf77 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:21 pm

I thought they did a great job.

Only comment on TSN moving forward as they are a partner with the CFL.

Why not have a sportscentre desk at the event for the week. They don't have to run all their sportscentre staff through it, but they could have a 1 crew out there.
Starter

by Xvys » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:09 pm

The first Marks CFL Week was a tremendous success by all accounts! Over 7,000 fans attended the events which generated hundreds of media stories. Here are a few of the many media reports about the event:

Inaugural CFL Week proves to be huge hit!

The inaugural Mark’s CFL Week was such an overwhelming success here this past week that the following statement was made.

“I believe there are now two events during the year that CFL fans will travel to take in for a week — the Grey Cup and this,” said TSN vice-president and executive producer Paul Graham.

It was a festival of access involving the fans, the media and the stars of yesterday, today and tomorrow. It was brilliantly designed, developed and executed by the league’s new vice president of content and marketing Christina Litz.

More: http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/03/26/ina ... 9ae385e05a

CFL week a success

CFL Week wasn't just a success for the league — it was a win for 3DownNation too.

The inaugural event was held in Regina from March 21 to 26 and was a mashup featuring several elements that had previously been run separately: a media "car wash" that made players available to broadcaster TSN as well as print and online outlets, the Canadian Football Hall of Fame induction announcement, and the CFL Combine.

On their own, these events typically created small ripples in the large and quiet sea that is the CFL off-season, which stretches from the end of November until training camps get rolling at the start of June. But by combining them, the CFL appears to have created a tidal wave.

More: http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/721 ... ownnation/

Why Hamilton should host the next CFL Week

With CFL Week 2017 in the books, we can now start looking towards CFL Week 2018. The first question on anyone’s mind is where will it be held. A case has been made for a sequel in Regina, but I think that would be a mistake. This thing needs to travel around — I honestly think doing one out in the Maritimes at some point would a great idea — and I submit that Hamilton should host the next CFL Week extravaganza.

It is clear from social media that the people who were in Regina had a blast this past week; the fans had a great time, players dug it and the media seemed to be almost unanimously positive about the event. Let’s bring all that to Hamilton, show off the city and prove that Hamilton can be a place for marquee CFL events.

More: http://3downnation.com/2017/03/28/hamil ... -cfl-week/
All-Star

Previous