2 Game Total Point Semi Final

Re: 2 Game Total Point Semi Final

by OskeeweeneeVI » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:56 pm

Beaglehound, I do agree with your bit about a team losing the first game 46-2 in a 2-game series. I don't want to show up to see a game where one team already has one foot in the grave and the other team is just running the football and looking up at the clock.
Rookie

by Preisst » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Argofan_1000 wrote:my point was additional revenue for 2 teams.

CFL already did this in years past so it is not something new. MLS has 2 game total point, NBA best of series, MLB, NHL the same and the NHL even gives a participation ribbon point even when a team looses.

They do it for fan interest and Money

Like I said, it's bush league. It has no place in the CFL or any real sport for that matter. The fact they 'used' to do it and then grew out of it is no reason to go back to it.

As for fan interest? I would automatically LOSE interest in moving to a bush league move.
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by beaglehound » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:28 pm

OskeeweeneeVI wrote:
beaglehound wrote:" But that comeback in that 2nd game earned them a trip to the Grey Cup and we all know who won that game now don't we ?"

Ahhh, yes we do Bobo. Always the eternal optimist Bobo. :wink:

Let me see... Didn't Hamilton make its last Grey Cup appearance sometime during the last century? I think so. Oh and they won that game too. 16 years is a long drought. Hopefully the drought will not last much longer.

Our last appearance was 2014. Also were there in 2013.

Good catch OskeeweeneeVI! :thup: My bad. :oops: I could say I meant "Didn't Hamilton make its winning last Grey Cup appearance sometime during the last century? But you would know that I was just trying to snow you and weasel my way out. I made a mistake and now I must eat crow. I'm sure Bobo will have a field day with this. I just hope he misplaced his glasses.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by beaglehound » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:36 pm

OskeeweeneeVI wrote:Beaglehound, I do agree with your bit about a team losing the first game 46-2 in a 2-game series. I don't want to show up to see a game where one team already has one foot in the grave and the other team is just running the football and looking up at the clock.

I think that is exactly what could happen OskeeweeneeVI with the 2 game total points playoff approach. Even as a kid I used to wonder about it when that is how it was done in the East.

If I have some time on my hands I wouldn't mind going through the archives to see how often[if] that happened. I always did like the best of 3 to settle the Western Final for reasons I've already listed, especially when you know one team is superior and happens to lose that decisive playoff Final. Yes, the other team won fair and square but if the underdog beat the prevailing team 2 out of the 3 times then they would no longer be the underdogs and would be worthy of a birth in the Grey Cup Championship game and did not get in by some fluke, mis-call or whatever. If the prevailing team with the better record knocks off the underdog two straight games then they have proven themselves without a doubt.

Oh well, the CFL is still the best game in town in my books regardless of how they get to the Grey Cup.
All-Star

by OskeeweeneeVI » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:58 am

The issue I have with a best 2-out-of-3 is what if someone wins in 2 straight? Now there's an empty TV slot and we're stuck watching Steel Magnolias or something instead of football? Or, god forbid, spending time with our families? :lol:
One of the greatest appeals of football for me is the shortness of the season and the finality of a one-game playoff. You either win or you don't,
Rookie

by beaglehound » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:38 am

OskeeweeneeVI wrote:The issue I have with a best 2-out-of-3 is what if someone wins in 2 straight? Now there's an empty TV slot and we're stuck watching Steel Magnolias or something instead of football? Or, god forbid, spending time with our families? :lol:
One of the greatest appeals of football for me is the shortness of the season and the finality of a one-game playoff. You either win or you don't,

All good points. But as far as spending time with our families? When we had our first child I cared not whether it was a boy or a girl. Our off spring would soon develop a taste for the CFL. The first two words that came from her lips were: foot ball. In my house, my wife and my children watched football together with me. It was family time. It was a chance to bond. My wife prepared delicious snack food while I reclined on the lazy boy. The little rugrat dutifully learned how to get up and change the channel whenever there was a commercial during the game. Back in those days we didn't have a remote. She was my remote. She only needed to learn how to count up to 10 as in 10 channel choices. Not bad for a two year old! Ahhhhh....those were the days. Now she's married and there are numerous little rugrats and ankle biters running loose.
All-Star

by mightypope » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 am

beaglehound wrote: Ahhhhh....those were the days. Now she's married and there are numerous little rugrats and ankle biters running loose.

That's all fine and dandy but the big question that needs to be answered.....Is she STILL a big CFL fan??
All-Star

by letsgoticats » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:25 pm

It'd make it way harder to sell playoff tickets. With 6 of the 9 teams getting a home playoff game every year, semi-final games would no longer feel special.
Starter

by beaglehound » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:11 pm

mightypope wrote:
beaglehound wrote: Ahhhhh....those were the days. Now she's married and there are numerous little rugrats and ankle biters running loose.

That's all fine and dandy but the big question that needs to be answered.....Is she STILL a big CFL fan??

I'm afraid not mightypope. Not sure where I went wrong with that one. :oops:
All-Star

Previous