2 teams with bids in for 2018 Grey Cup

Re: 2 teams with bids in for 2018 Grey Cup

by sambo42 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:16 pm

Plebiscites can be very divisive... in my city, we had two for the new arena we have, the major tenant being the Moose Jaw Warriors... the first one was 71% to 29% in favour of building, then the cost jumped from $19 million to $34 million for the city's portion... the second vote was 59 to 41 in favour... and it still a hotly debated topic, even though the facility is now into its 6th year of operation.
As or the Riders, there are a few people who opposed the new Mosaic...because of who is paying for it... the Riders kicked in some $$ , but the vast majority came from taxpayers... and a lot of voters are ticked at how it was handled... a close vote might do harm than good.
ryan3434: gandhi was a black hating racist
Hall of Famer

by RedandWhite » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:27 pm

...a plebiscite held in this city right now asking for taxpayers to fund the majority cost of a new football only stadium would result in an absolute no and a group of very angry no voters would burn down the stadium we already have just to prove how no they really feel....
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by PTBO Dave » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:34 pm

RedandWhite wrote:...a plebiscite held in this city right now asking for taxpayers to fund the majority cost of a new football only stadium would result in an absolute no and a group of very angry no voters would burn down the stadium we already have just to prove how no they really feel....

Hmm . . . then I say jack up the fire insurance on McMahon and plebiscite away! Problem solved. :lol:
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by Mr. » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:13 pm

brihind88 wrote:
Grover wrote:http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/03/28/calgary-mayor-nenshi-is-out-of-touch-if-he-thinks-a-new-arena-holds-no-public-benefit

Calgary Mayor Nenshi is out of touch if he thinks a new arena holds no public benefit

Once, he was the world's most popular mayor.
Now, he seems content auditioning for autocrat of the year.
Naheed Nenshi single-handedly turned CalgaryNEXT into Calgary Nixed.
No notice to council — the ones who are supposed to decide the fate of the project.
No heads up to the respected business and philanthropy leaders who put the plan forward.
No warning to anyone.

Nenshi, who has never met a shy microphone, has decreed it so — and so it shall be.

“...CalgaryNEXT, the West Village project, is dead,” Nenshi said when asked if the feds planned Canada Infrastructure Bank could be used to help pay for CalgaryNEXT.

So, even though the project was officially on “pause” as a plan B in Victoria Park was studied, Nenshi was quite content to unilaterally rule it “dead.”

Apparently, his vote is worth 15 — a gesture some may see as arrogant and self important.

Then, he drops this beauty: “The thing about a new arena project is that our first criteria has always been public money for public benefit, so it really is up to the Calgary Sports and Entertainment (Corp.) to figure out what the public benefit is.”

Wonder if he would have asked this question if we were discussing a performing arts centre.
Or if he would have as easily parted with all sense of decorum if the topic was a new public library.

We can all debate how a new arena should be funded and where it should reside. Debate is good.

But to say there is no evident public benefit to having an NHL team, a CFL team and a venue that actually offers Calgarians the concerts Edmonton is stealing from us, is out of touch.

Many of us will never set foot in the new library or a new LRT car.

But we will be there to cheer on our Flames, our Stamps and our favourite band.

And the value of that shouldn't be dismissed by anyone – especially our mayor.

Thanks for posting.

The Calgary Sun posted editorial is out to lunch.

" some of us will not step foot in a new library or LRT car."

:roll: :roll: :roll:

No, but our school kids getting an education or going to school, university or work will.
Mayor is talking about priority for the public good.
We are short of needed schools, our roads are a mess, on and on about things we need.

Mayor says new arena and stadium are on the bottom of the list. I agree with him.
Not everyone goes to sports games or concerts. Therefore , not the public good.

Bettman was here last week beaking off again. ( Mind your own business and shut up while doing it please )
The Flames have the money to build these , so let them do it.

Again, not my tax dollars.

Not in this economic downturn.

Brihind88, I cant argue with your point too much but my question would be when are schools, roads, healthcare, etc not a priority? My point being is that if we were never to build things like stadiums because of other priorities then stadiums would never be built. What I definitely cant argue is your point about it being bad timing (ie) economic downturn.
Rookie

by brihind88 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:57 pm

MR.

Very good point and excellent objective view .

:thup: :thup:

What will be will be.

Regardless of what stadium is showcasing the Stamps and CFL, I will be there in full force to support.
All-Star

by sambo42 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:56 am

RedandWhite wrote:...a plebiscite held in this city right now asking for taxpayers to fund the majority cost of a new football only stadium would result in an absolute no and a group of very angry no voters would burn down the stadium we already have just to prove how no they really feel....

Exactly... holding a vote would only create division within the community... I know, I've seen it first hand... and its not pleasant... any kind of new stadium would have to be funded by private interests... unless you get something like a Canada or Commonwealth games ( or even a summer Olympic games), where a new stadium would be necessary, you will just have to settle for McMahon... I wonder if it could be retrofitted or something along that line to improve it... if it needs to be upgraded.
ryan3434: gandhi was a black hating racist
Hall of Famer

by papazoola » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:50 am

Economic downturn???.......Should have been built when oil was riding high in Alta...could have been built with private money a couple of times, with the profit some of these oil giants rode off into the sunset with...Alas it wasn't to be ...Now they want the public to pick up the tab....Good bloody luck
...one of the most integral parts overlooked in conversation....is to hear what's NOT being said....AnonymousImage
Hall of Famer

by GHT120 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Mr. wrote:... but my question would be when are schools, roads, healthcare, etc not a priority? My point being is that if we were never to build things like stadiums because of other priorities then stadiums would never be built...

Totally agree, but just be honest about the how and why.

Arenas and stadiums really don't in and of themselves create economic activity. The vast majority of tickets are bought by locals and that really just means that money isn't spent in other businesses. Arenas do offer lots of part-time jobs at events (at least 41 NHL games a year, plus pre-season, plus post-season, plus other events) - stadiums not so much - but those jobs don't drive an economy. The biggest economic advantage to arenas/stadiums is if like in Ottawa they are the trigger that pushes a City to approve an economically positive development that otherwise would not have gotten off the ground. In Ottawa Lansdowne Park was scheduled to be redeveloped as park/recreation space but the Communist-AfricanAmericans triggered a change by the City (as a taxpayer I object to the original plan excluding economic development and the CAA's sole source "bid" for the what was built but recognize that getting the football team back was the carrot that got the City to make a positive economic decision - just might have been more beneficial to taxpayers with open bidding).
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:40 pm

Items like stadiums and arenas are wants, though there is no economic case for them, it doesn't mean there isn't a place for them, otherwise there would be virtually none of them.

Everyone has wants in life in addition to their needs with a wide range of price-points. It comes down to how it's budgeted.

So in terms of Calgary's facilities, it comes down to how much CSE is really wanting to invest. CalgaryNEXT in it's current form is not going to fly. They'll need to up the ante, otherwise off to Plan B, which I think ultimately will be tied to an Olympic bid.
All-Star

by Grover » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:06 am

Calgary Council votes on Plan B instead of Calgary Next, Plan B is a new Arena with no new Stadium.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/c ... -1.4083787
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by brihind88 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:14 am

Grover wrote:Calgary Council votes on Plan B instead of Calgary Next, Plan B is a new Arena with no new Stadium.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/c ... -1.4083787

Thanks for posting this.

Caught this on the news last night.
Global Calgary of course. I hate CBC .

There are conditions if it goes ahead. The main one is revenue generating.
The city would need to recover the projected $ 500 million cost to tax payers.

The phrase noted was " a new stadium is on the back burner "

I almost get the impression Ken King and his group are thinking :

" ok , forget the stadium - just get us an arena at least "
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:22 am

Yes it does seem like Plan B is the new Plan A.

So it comes down to how soon and the city and team can reach an agreement plus a land swap with the Stampede board is to be involved too but don't see any issues there.

'Backburner' = Olympic bid in my opinion which I believe they'll decide in the fall, likely after the election.

2026...the real Plan A
All-Star

by brihind88 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:20 pm

Mightygoose wrote:Yes it does seem like Plan B is the new Plan A.

So it comes down to how soon and the city and team can reach an agreement plus a land swap with the Stampede board is to be involved too but don't see any issues there.

'Backburner' = Olympic bid in my opinion which I believe they'll decide in the fall, likely after the election.

2026...the real Plan A

I would suggest your post sums it up. :thup:

It was mentioned there would be public input starting with a phone survey.

The up coming election is a major key in this.

Before any decisions are made on this, those running for office need to find out who they will **** off.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:12 pm

2026...the real Plan A

Makes sense that they get a new arena, not only for the numerous NHL games but also concerts etc that can be held 365 days a year. An arena can be part of a Winter Olympic bid too.
I can't see why they would need a new football stadium for the Winter Olympics, the old stadium can be used for the opening and closing ceremonies It's not like they play any winter games in a football stadium
All-Star

by GernB » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:31 pm

2026...the real Plan A

So now, IIRC, Calgary may bid on the 2026 winter Olympics....Edmonton may bid on the 2026 Commonwealth Games.....and Canada/US/Mexico are bidding on the 2026 World Cup? Somebody's going to be disappointed.
Veteran

PreviousNext