2 teams with bids in for 2018 Grey Cup

Re: 2 teams with bids in for 2018 Grey Cup

by yougottabekidding » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:00 pm

brihind88 wrote:YGBKidding,

When I said Toronto was a bust, It was nothing to do with event or venues.
Did they not have to discount and fire sale the tickets to get people to go ?
I do recall posts and threads on this sight with nothing but complaints.?

No, I was not at the 2009 game. Sat in my comfy chair to watch the Riders screw up.
Everything I hear and read the fans were thrilled.

You were not.
However, as far as not being able to move around , that happens in the new ones as well.

2 years ago , I went to your IGF for a Stamps road game and waited in line for a bottle of water and missed half of QTR 3.
Walking to and from was like trying to get on a Tokyo Subway Train.
(Never been to Tokyo, but have seen videos) .

It happens when you have 30-50,000 in a Canadian size stadium.

For those who complain about the bench seating, there is an easy fix.
They sell stadium seats with arm rests at Canadian Tire for $ 25.

Plus, there is a solution to the bench seating. All they need to do is put backs on them.
I went to 4 UFL games in Las Vegas .
Sam Boyd Stadium is very similar to McMahon.
Also, all they have is bench seating. They have backs on them and it would not take up any space.

FYI, I have been to 2 Grey Cups. 1993 and 2014.

I didn't attend last year's cup but do recall the convos about the ticketing and pricing. Not sure what the end result was in terms of revenues but that's of little concern to most fans as I would suggest the general buzz/activities around the host city and the venue amenities are what make a Cup fun to attend and ultimately a success. I felt Calgary failed both those parameters in 2009 but just MHO.

Quite frankly, if the Cup was held only in Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto and Montreal I'd be fine with that. All those cities have been proven hosts, have lots to do outside the Cup itself, have plenty of hotel space and have great facilities. Hamilton, Regina and Ottawa will do ok but there will be issues with hotels, weather and outside amenities that can't compete with the aforementioned centres....but I'm not suggesting for a moment they shouldn't get to host.

Finally, I used to live in Japan and have been to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka's main JR (rail) stations at rush hour and NOTHING compares to the human crush they provide...even Calgary's congestion in 2009 was mild by comparison.
Veteran

by EastVanMark » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:09 pm

yougottabekidding wrote:
Mightygoose wrote:I doubt McMahon can be brought up to standards for the Olympics.

If it's not good enough for the Grey Cup, it definitely won't be good enough for the IOC. Events like the Olympics (Commonwealth/Pan Ams etc..), Expos, Fifa events are done to justify in infrastructure that normally won't happen otherwise, stadiums being in that category.

Half of the stadiums used in the CFL we're built for these types of purposes so it seems Calgary's new digs will go down this path too.

McMahon is NOT good enough for the Grey Cup. Attended in 2009 and it was the worst GC experience I've had, both in the stadium (ill equipped to handle the extra seating) to the festivities downtown as the Calg Fire Dept decided to enforce, to the letter, every room's occupancy and spent an inordinate amount of time kicking people out of halls.

Brutal. If it's just Edmonton and Calgary bidding then it's no contest. The 'chuck has the stadium and the experience....attended '97, '02 and '10 and all were a blast.

Agreed on both points. Was in the temporary seats in 09' (the "ball down, ball through" side) and it was brutal. People who got up from their seats at halftime were not seen again until into the fourth quarter. Lineups for the port-a-potties were horrible and you couldn't move in the horribly over-crammed concourses. Should never be allowed to happen again. No new stadium = no Grey Cup.

Edmonton's Grey Cup was awesome. The only not-so-fun aspect was waiting over an hour to get into Spirit of Edmonton on a typical Edmonton November night
All-Star

by brihind88 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:37 pm

yougottabekidding wrote:
brihind88 wrote:YGBKidding,

When I said Toronto was a bust, It was nothing to do with event or venues.
Did they not have to discount and fire sale the tickets to get people to go ?
I do recall posts and threads on this sight with nothing but complaints.?

No, I was not at the 2009 game. Sat in my comfy chair to watch the Riders screw up.
Everything I hear and read the fans were thrilled.

You were not.
However, as far as not being able to move around , that happens in the new ones as well.

2 years ago , I went to your IGF for a Stamps road game and waited in line for a bottle of water and missed half of QTR 3.
Walking to and from was like trying to get on a Tokyo Subway Train.
(Never been to Tokyo, but have seen videos) .

It happens when you have 30-50,000 in a Canadian size stadium.

For those who complain about the bench seating, there is an easy fix.
They sell stadium seats with arm rests at Canadian Tire for $ 25.

Plus, there is a solution to the bench seating. All they need to do is put backs on them.
I went to 4 UFL games in Las Vegas .
Sam Boyd Stadium is very similar to McMahon.
Also, all they have is bench seating. They have backs on them and it would not take up any space.

FYI, I have been to 2 Grey Cups. 1993 and 2014.

I didn't attend last year's cup but do recall the convos about the ticketing and pricing. Not sure what the end result was in terms of revenues but that's of little concern to most fans as I would suggest the general buzz/activities around the host city and the venue amenities are what make a Cup fun to attend and ultimately a success. I felt Calgary failed both those parameters in 2009 but just MHO.

Quite frankly, if the Cup was held only in Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto and Montreal I'd be fine with that. All those cities have been proven hosts, have lots to do outside the Cup itself, have plenty of hotel space and have great facilities. Hamilton, Regina and Ottawa will do ok but there will be issues with hotels, weather and outside amenities that can't compete with the aforementioned centres....but I'm not suggesting for a moment they shouldn't get to host.

Finally, I used to live in Japan and have been to Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka's main JR (rail) stations at rush hour and NOTHING compares to the human crush they provide...even Calgary's congestion in 2009 was mild by comparison.

Reality is , I would not equate a Tokyo crush to a Canadian Football game.
I was just using that to make the point.

Getting back to my statement about Montreal.

They should be hosting more often, but remember their roof has still not been dealt with.
As far as I know, there are some other foundation issues as well.
If they host, and an accident occurs, there will be major legal issues.
All-Star

by brihind88 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:24 pm

Preisst wrote:I said it then and I'll say it now. Calgary Next was being used as a bargaining chip for the Flames to get a better deal with the Stampede grounds.

The proposal for where they wanted to put it was so stupid that I doubt anyone ever took it seriously.

Accept the facts, they really don't care about the Stumps.

They want a new ice arena and that is ALL they care about. To put the arena anywhere other then the Stampede grounds makes no sense. Calgary needs a centralized location. The city is to widespread.

I will dispute your claim that the Flames ( when I say Flames, I mean King King ), do not care about the STAMPS ( thank you ).

They would not have invested to purchase the Stamps if they did not care.
The Calgary Sports Corp want all their teams to be successful.

However, I will go along with your suggestion about the bargain chip.

As I stated earlier, when I read between the lines of " stadium is on the back burner " , it is an indication.

" OK , we will save you millions and give up on the stadium, just give us our arena "

Also , you are spot on about the NEXT location. That was not going to happen. Everyone knew the designated land was polluted and contaminated.

Further, no solid plan will be in place until after the Civic Election.
That however, will be the major question on voters minds.
Politicians are smart enough to get in first, before deciding anything.

Myself, I see both sides of the debate.
All-Star

by Preisst » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:08 am

brihind88 wrote:
Preisst wrote:I said it then and I'll say it now. Calgary Next was being used as a bargaining chip for the Flames to get a better deal with the Stampede grounds.

The proposal for where they wanted to put it was so stupid that I doubt anyone ever took it seriously.

Accept the facts, they really don't care about the Stumps.

They want a new ice arena and that is ALL they care about. To put the arena anywhere other then the Stampede grounds makes no sense. Calgary needs a centralized location. The city is to widespread.

I will dispute your claim that the Flames ( when I say Flames, I mean King King ), do not care about the STAMPS ( thank you ).

They would not have invested to purchase the Stamps if they did not care.
The Calgary Sports Corp want all their teams to be successful.

However, I will go along with your suggestion about the bargain chip.

As I stated earlier, when I read between the lines of " stadium is on the back burner " , it is an indication.

" OK , we will save you millions and give up on the stadium, just give us our arena "

Also , you are spot on about the NEXT location. That was not going to happen. Everyone knew the designated land was polluted and contaminated.

Further, no solid plan will be in place until after the Civic Election.
That however, will be the major question on voters minds.
Politicians are smart enough to get in first, before deciding anything.

Myself, I see both sides of the debate.

Well I suppose I reacted similar to an Anti-Roughrider talking about a Roughrider and exaggerated grossly when I said they don't care at all about the Stumps. They do care, just not very much.

The stadium will eventually be built, of course, it's just a matter of how many decades down the road I suppose. I've been a CFL season ticket holder since I moved to Calgary 20 years ago and while I wouldn't mind seeing a new stadium, it's not really a huge deal for me.

That is speaking as a citizen of Calgary.

As a CFL fan I would like one post haste.
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

Previous