2 teams with bids in for 2018 Grey Cup

Re: 2 teams with bids in for 2018 Grey Cup

by cflisthebest » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:24 pm

CFL should do what they did to Hamilton back then.

NO Grey Cups until a new Stadium.
A Proud member of the Rider Nation!
All-Star

by brihind88 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:33 pm

cflisthebest wrote:CFL should do what they did to Hamilton back then.

NO Grey Cups until a new Stadium.

You are a Rider fan in Edmonton.

What concern is it of yours , if we have a new stadium down here ?

BTW, :roll: :roll: :roll:
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:39 am

Mightygoose wrote:Yes it does seem like Plan B is the new Plan A.

So it comes down to how soon and the city and team can reach an agreement plus a land swap with the Stampede board is to be involved too but don't see any issues there.

'Backburner' = Olympic bid in my opinion which I believe they'll decide in the fall, likely after the election.

2026...the real Plan A

That or the 2026 World Cup bid.
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

by prairiewolf77 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 am

When I watched the original announcement of Calgary Next, today's plan B of an Arena only, always seemed like the actually Plan A. Lets be honest, the Stamps are owned by the longtime owners of the Flames, which is their priority. This group also owns the Hitman and Lacrosse Roughnecks, both play in an arena. Stamps are probably #4 on the priority list of the Flames owners.

The horrible Fieldhouse/Football stadium with the Arena concept was a swing for the fences with a probable 1% chance of working. Even the concept pictures of what the arena vs the football stadium were not close to comparable. The arena pictures looked like every bell and whistle would be included, while the football stadium would have giant folding seats, like you would see in a high school gym.

Plan A for a new football stadium now relies completely on a winning Olympic Bid. Without that, the stamps will be in McMahon probably until it either falls apart or the league ceases to exist.

As for the World Cup Bid, we all know even though Toronto does not have the best stadiums for football/soccer viewing combined with size of attendance abilities, not to mention they haven't supported Canadian soccer very well compared to other cities in Canada,it will get games. Likely hosts: Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Edmonton.
Starter

by slimjim2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:13 am

prairiewolf77 wrote:
Plan A for a new football stadium now relies completely on a winning Olympic Bid. Without that, the stamps will be in McMahon probably until it either falls apart or the league ceases to exist.

As for the World Cup Bid, we all know even though Toronto does not have the best stadiums for football/soccer viewing combined with size of attendance abilities, not to mention they haven't supported Canadian soccer very well compared to other cities in Canada,it will get games. Likely hosts: Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Edmonton.

But they don't need a new football stadium for an Winter Olympic bid. There are no winter sports that would be played in a football stadium. The stadium would only be used for the opening/closing ceremonies and with temp seats it's not a problem and with it being winter the closing/opening ceremonies are short.

As for "Toronto does not have the best stadium for football/soccer viewing" that's not true, have you actually been to BMO? it's a great place to watch soccer or football not a bad seat in the place.
They could expand BMO for soccer, the temp Grey Cup seats were only put in the south end because of the size of the CFL field. For soccer they could also put in temp seats where the CFL end zone is. 50k wouldn't be a problem.
The other option would be to put in temp grass at the Rogers Centre.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:31 am

I doubt McMahon can be brought up to standards for the Olympics.

If it's not good enough for the Grey Cup, it definitely won't be good enough for the IOC. Events like the Olympics (Commonwealth/Pan Ams etc..), Expos, Fifa events are done to justify in infrastructure that normally won't happen otherwise, stadiums being in that category.

Half of the stadiums used in the CFL we're built for these types of purposes so it seems Calgary's new digs will go down this path too.
All-Star

by yougottabekidding » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:03 pm

Mightygoose wrote:I doubt McMahon can be brought up to standards for the Olympics.

If it's not good enough for the Grey Cup, it definitely won't be good enough for the IOC. Events like the Olympics (Commonwealth/Pan Ams etc..), Expos, Fifa events are done to justify in infrastructure that normally won't happen otherwise, stadiums being in that category.

Half of the stadiums used in the CFL we're built for these types of purposes so it seems Calgary's new digs will go down this path too.

McMahon is NOT good enough for the Grey Cup. Attended in 2009 and it was the worst GC experience I've had, both in the stadium (ill equipped to handle the extra seating) to the festivities downtown as the Calg Fire Dept decided to enforce, to the letter, every room's occupancy and spent an inordinate amount of time kicking people out of halls.

Brutal. If it's just Edmonton and Calgary bidding then it's no contest. The 'chuck has the stadium and the experience....attended '97, '02 and '10 and all were a blast.
Veteran

by slimjim2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:38 pm

Mightygoose wrote:I doubt McMahon can be brought up to standards for the Olympics.

Commonwealth Games, Pan Ams, FIFA events all require a stadium to host track or soccer events.
But this is the Winter Olympics and they aren't the "real" Olympics, they are much smaller and can be hosted by small towns.
The closing and opening ceremonies for Past Winter Olympic Games especially the games held in small Alpine towns do not require a large football stadium.
Lake Placid, Salt Lake City, St Moritz, Insbruck, Lillehammer, Nagano etc ALL small towns that had the closing/opening ceremonies in a public area with temp seating and not in a football stadium.
None of the Winter Olympic game cities had large football stadiums built just for closing/opening ceremonies.
I can't see why the Olympic committee would require a large stadium when they haven't in the past and no games are played in a football stadium.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:50 pm

slimjim2 wrote:

It's not the "real" Olympics it's the Winter Games usually hosted by small towns.
The closing and opening ceremonies for Past Winter Olympic Games especially the games held in small Alpine towns do not require a large football stadium.
Lake Placid, Salt Lake City, St Moritz, Insbruck, Lillehammer, Nagano etc ALL small towns that had the closing/opening ceremonies in a public area with temp seating and not in a football stadium.
None of the Winter Olympic game cities had large football stadiums built just for closing/opening ceremonies.
I can't see why the Olympic committee would require a large stadium when they haven't in the past and no games are played in a football stadium.

Not always true

Turin . Metro population 900,000. Opening and Closing ceremony held: Stadio Olimpico. Renovated for the games and home to Juventus until they opened their new place.

Vancouver. Metro population 2.4 million. Opening and Closing ceremony at BC place. We all know who plays there

Sochi. Not a big city but they built a 40K+ stadium for the games and they don't even have a club team to play there.

Beijing will use the birds nest and gets less use than a CFL team would bring in.

Edit: Salt Lake City used rice-eccles stadium with football.

The real question about McMahon can it be rebuilt to work or does it make more sense to build new as there's already one tenant to use it anyways. if the CPL is launched, they'll be 2.
All-Star

by brihind88 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:09 pm

McMahon is more than good enough for the Grey Cup.

It worked well the last 3 times we hosted and would continue to do so.

If it is to be eliminated from rotation , the CFL has limited options.

EDMONTON
REGINA
WINNIPEG
VANCOUVER
OTTAWA

5 stadiums are to " standard "

Montreal still has the roof issue
Toronto was a bust
Hamilton is never even mentioned.

Calgary has always done a great job hosting. Now some consider telling us no more until a new one is built.

That is just bad business.
All-Star

by Preisst » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:56 pm

I said it then and I'll say it now. Calgary Next was being used as a bargaining chip for the Flames to get a better deal with the Stampede grounds.

The proposal for where they wanted to put it was so stupid that I doubt anyone ever took it seriously.

Accept the facts, they really don't care about the Stumps.

They want a new ice arena and that is ALL they care about. To put the arena anywhere other then the Stampede grounds makes no sense. Calgary needs a centralized location. The city is to widespread.
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by yougottabekidding » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:02 pm

brihind88 wrote:

McMahon is more than good enough for the Grey Cup.

It worked well the last 3 times we hosted and would continue to do so.

If it is to be eliminated from rotation , the CFL has limited options.

EDMONTON
REGINA
WINNIPEG
VANCOUVER
OTTAWA

5 stadiums are to " standard "

Montreal still has the roof issue
Toronto was a bust
Hamilton is never even mentioned.

Calgary has always done a great job hosting. Now some consider telling us no more until a new one is built.

That is just bad business.

Did you actually attend the 2009 Cup? I did and it took me an hour to get from my seat to the biffy, beer stand and back to my seat during the pre-game....once you stick thousands more seats into that North end zone you've overloaded the stadium...there's just not enough room. If you didn't install the seats it might work but then the revenues wouldn't work.

And I can't count how many times I saw the CFD closing down venues like the Spirit of Edmonton, Tigertown and other spots flushing people on to the streets due to occupancy issues. I have never experienced this issue in Cups I've been to in Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver or Toronto....only Calgary. What's odd is that Cowtown is usually a great place to have fun but they biffed the last Grey Cup they hosted and a big part of it was the venue- MacMahon is just too old.

And before you try the "well the FD has to do that, it's their job", then I'll also say that I've been to dozens of stampede events over the past 20 years and overcrowding part of the fun...never saw the CFD anywhere.

You said, "Toronto was a bust". Again, did you attend? I didn't attend last year but heard it was great. I've been to the two before that, in 2007 and 2012, and 2007 was a blast as the Vanier was held Friday night at Skydome and 25,000 people were there. 2012 was well organized, with tons of events on Front Street and a great atmosphere.

If you've attended as many Grey Cups as I have in the past 15 years then we'll have to agree to disagree. If not then...well.....
Veteran

by Preisst » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:23 pm

yougottabekidding wrote:Did you actually attend the 2009 Cup? I did and it took me an hour to get from my seat to the biffy, beer stand and back to my seat during the pre-game....once you stick thousands more seats into that North end zone you've overloaded the stadium...there's just not enough room. If you didn't install the seats it might work but then the revenues wouldn't work.

And I can't count how many times I saw the CFD closing down venues like the Spirit of Edmonton, Tigertown and other spots flushing people on to the streets due to occupancy issues. I have never experienced this issue in Cups I've been to in Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vancouver or Toronto....only Calgary. What's odd is that Cowtown is usually a great place to have fun but they biffed the last Grey Cup they hosted and a big part of it was the venue- MacMahon is just too old.

And before you try the "well the FD has to do that, it's their job", then I'll also say that I've been to dozens of stampede events over the past 20 years and overcrowding part of the fun...never saw the CFD anywhere.

You said, "Toronto was a bust". Again, did you attend? I didn't attend last year but heard it was great. I've been to the two before that, in 2007 and 2012, and 2007 was a blast as the Vanier was held Friday night at Skydome and 25,000 people were there. 2012 was well organized, with tons of events on Front Street and a great atmosphere.

If you've attended as many Grey Cups as I have in the past 15 years then we'll have to agree to disagree. If not then...well.....

The CFD were being aholes cuz it was the Roughriders in the game and not the Stumps.

Petty.

The envy this city has for the Roughriders has no rival. They hate it when we take over their stadium and they hate it even more when we take over the entire city.
"It is a sign of strength, not of weakness, to admit that you don't know all the answers." --John P. Lougbrane

ppull rulz!!!!
Starter

by brihind88 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:36 pm

YGBKidding,

When I said Toronto was a bust, It was nothing to do with event or venues.
Did they not have to discount and fire sale the tickets to get people to go ?
I do recall posts and threads on this sight with nothing but complaints.?

No, I was not at the 2009 game. Sat in my comfy chair to watch the Riders screw up.
Everything I hear and read the fans were thrilled.

You were not.
However, as far as not being able to move around , that happens in the new ones as well.

2 years ago , I went to your IGF for a Stamps road game and waited in line for a bottle of water and missed half of QTR 3.
Walking to and from was like trying to get on a Tokyo Subway Train.
(Never been to Tokyo, but have seen videos) .

It happens when you have 30-50,000 in a Canadian size stadium.

For those who complain about the bench seating, there is an easy fix.
They sell stadium seats with arm rests at Canadian Tire for $ 25.

Plus, there is a solution to the bench seating. All they need to do is put backs on them.
I went to 4 UFL games in Las Vegas .
Sam Boyd Stadium is very similar to McMahon.
Also, all they have is bench seating. They have backs on them and it would not take up any space.

FYI, I have been to 2 Grey Cups. 1993 and 2014.
All-Star

by EastVanMark » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:55 pm

slimjim2 wrote:

Commonwealth Games, Pan Ams, FIFA events all require a stadium to host track or soccer events.
But this is the Winter Olympics and they aren't the "real" Olympics, they are much smaller and can be hosted by small towns.

Indeed. Te 84' Winter Games Closing Ceremony was in an ice arena
All-Star

PreviousNext