2 teams with bids in for 2018 Grey Cup

Re: 2 teams with bids in for 2018 Grey Cup

by RedandWhite » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:28 pm

brihind88 wrote:If Bronco had not wasted $$$$ on a useless bridge, he would have had the funds for extra cops

...not true......the $25M spent on the bridge was earmarked by the provincial government for 'public infrastructure'...that means if it was not spent on the bridge (or some other piece of public infrastructure) the city would not have received it...period...they couldn't, under the rules of the grant, redirect it to some other cause/concern...

....hey, I'm no great fan of the Calatrava bauble...i think it was money that could've been better spent maybe building two or three normal bridges across the Bow...but I'm not on city council...

brihind88 wrote:This is OT

...this part is correct...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by GernB » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:25 pm

RedandWhite wrote:...thank you dave for replying to, again, the great uninformed...as noted in other OFF-TOPIC threads regarding this subject, Alberta has some of the best infrastructure in the country thanks to the black gold...there are new hospitals in every major city, new health centes in smaller 'burgs, a new cancer centre underway in Calgary to replace the aging Tom Baker Centre, all staffed with the best funded nurses/doctors/technicals in the country, exceptional road systems that are not falling apart (iirc AB is the only province to have twinned the #1 hwy for it's entire length), schools pop up where needed every year, teachers that have not gone on strike since I cannot remember when, etc.....please ppl, do your homework...over the past 30 years or so literally billions have been spent on improving the lives of everyday normal Albertans...please don't worry about us, we're good...

...about the only thing we are missing in material goods is a state-of-the-art football stadium in Calgary...and when that is all you have to complain about then, really, when it comes down to it, you don't have anything to be complaining about...

I couldn't agree more with everything you've said.

The reason there's no new or renovated stadium is that the city doesn't own it or the land it's on, the U of C does. The city won't pay to upgrade an asset it doesn't own, and the university won't pay to upgrade an asset that is of little benefit to them, even if they had the money. That being said, once the city and CSEC get their acts together, Calgary will get a new state of the art stadium.
Veteran

by Grover » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:16 pm

GernB wrote:
RedandWhite wrote:...thank you dave for replying to, again, the great uninformed...as noted in other OFF-TOPIC threads regarding this subject, Alberta has some of the best infrastructure in the country thanks to the black gold...there are new hospitals in every major city, new health centes in smaller 'burgs, a new cancer centre underway in Calgary to replace the aging Tom Baker Centre, all staffed with the best funded nurses/doctors/technicals in the country, exceptional road systems that are not falling apart (iirc AB is the only province to have twinned the #1 hwy for it's entire length), schools pop up where needed every year, teachers that have not gone on strike since I cannot remember when, etc.....please ppl, do your homework...over the past 30 years or so literally billions have been spent on improving the lives of everyday normal Albertans...please don't worry about us, we're good...

...about the only thing we are missing in material goods is a state-of-the-art football stadium in Calgary...and when that is all you have to complain about then, really, when it comes down to it, you don't have anything to be complaining about...

I couldn't agree more with everything you've said.

The reason there's no new or renovated stadium is that the city doesn't own it or the land it's on, the U of C does. The city won't pay to upgrade an asset it doesn't own, and the university won't pay to upgrade an asset that is of little benefit to them, even if they had the money. That being said, once the city and CSEC get their acts together, Calgary will get a new state of the art stadium.

I did not know that, It makes more sense now if McMahon isn't on City property, thanks for posting
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by pikk » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:29 pm

brihind88 wrote:
The Last Word wrote:
Like the economy wouldn't be the exact same if the PCs were involved. Those buildings would still have a 25% vacancy rate :lol:

Perhaps I worded it wrong.

I am not putting all the blame on NDP.

The oil industry has taken a major hit.

So many are out of work.
The Alberta NDP and their policy decisions have only made it worse.

Point is Calgary is in bad shape and the last thing any one will care about is a new stadium.
Perfect time to go after the feds for some money.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:52 pm

pikk wrote:
brihind88 wrote:
The Last Word wrote:
Like the economy wouldn't be the exact same if the PCs were involved. Those buildings would still have a 25% vacancy rate :lol:

So many are out of work.

Point is Calgary is in bad shape and the last thing any one will care about is a new stadium.

Yup, something tells me this is what the possible 2026 games bid is all about.

Despite the Mayor's snub of CalgaryNext, polls from last month on the games seem more 'positive'

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-new ... c-bid-poll

I just may be all who want $$$ will end up getting some at the end of the day.
All-Star

by brihind88 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:52 pm

I am just glad I am not on City Council.

This is a powder keg.

Who will be pissed off more come election time. ?

Hey, these tough decisions are why they get paid the big $$$$$$$$$.

Whatever decision comes down, it will not effect my life.
I have well paid job security until retirement.
Not everyone in Calgary is that lucky.

So many out of work wondering how to pay bills.
A new stadium / arena is the last thing on their minds.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:53 am

pikk wrote:
brihind88 wrote:
The Last Word wrote:

So many are out of work.

The Feds? they don't have money, I think you mean Canadian taxpayers? the people outside of Calgary to pay for it?
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:03 am

slimjim2 wrote:the people outside of Calgary to pay for it?

...yes, considering it's people outside of Calgary that seem to be doing all the complaining about how old our stadium is...
Site Staff

by brihind88 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:48 am

RedandWhite wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:the people outside of Calgary to pay for it?

...yes, considering it's people outside of Calgary that seem to be doing all the complaining about how old our stadium is...

People outside Calgary might as well pay for it.

Alberta does send a majority of the Federal transfer payments.
All-Star

by The Last Word » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:12 pm

If Calgary wants a new stadium or a major refurb then a starting point should be for ownership to pay nearly half of it as the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Saskatchewan Roughriders and Edmonton Eskimos (refurb ) did. Considering it is this supposedly can-do city with vast amounts of corporate wealth it is rather embarrassing they have been left in the dust by all the other prairie cities regarding stadium infrastructure. :oops:

They can also forget about any significant federal monies being poured into a stadium as Ottawa, Winnipeg (what little fed money they received was allocated towards the fitness centre on campus), Saskatchewan, Montreal (expansion and refurb), Vancouver, Edmonton (refurb) did not receive any federal subsidies. Why should Calgary be any different?
Starter

by RedandWhite » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:16 pm

The Last Word wrote:Why should Calgary be any different?

...because people that don't live here want us to get a new stadium, because they're embarrassed for us apparently, so they should pay for it...I'm totally okay with this proposal...
Site Staff

by Grover » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:47 pm

RedandWhite wrote:
The Last Word wrote:Why should Calgary be any different?

...because people that don't live here want us to get a new stadium, because they're embarrassed for us apparently, so they should pay for it...I'm totally okay with this proposal...

I'm pretty sure it is your football and hockey teams that want a new Stadium and Arena.
I think the Hockey team will get a new Arena, whether it is Calgary next or something else, in Calgary or elsewhere.
The question is what is the future of the Stadium, status quo, reno, or spanking new?
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Grover wrote:I think the Hockey team will get a new Arena, whether it is Calgary next or something else, in Calgary or elsewhere.
The question is what is the future of the Stadium, status quo, reno, or spanking new?

...status quo in my opinion...CSE has consistently said they are losing money in the Saddledome, so a new hockey arena is a must for them (even though Forbes listed the Flames as the tenth highest profiting team in the NHL, go figure)....to date, really nothing has been said by CSE about the football stadium which leads me to think either a) they don't really care about it in comparison to the NHL issue, or b) it actually makes them acceptable money already, if it's not broke don't fix it...the football portion of the NEXT proposal was simply chucked in there to show how CSE was using the city's field-house money...
Site Staff

by sambo42 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:04 pm

RedandWhite wrote:
Grover wrote:I think the Hockey team will get a new Arena, whether it is Calgary next or something else, in Calgary or elsewhere.

...status quo in my opinion...CSE has consistently said they are losing money in the Saddledome, so a new hockey arena is a must for them (even though Forbes listed the Flames as the tenth highest profiting team in the NHL, go figure)....to date, really nothing has been said by CSE about the football stadium which leads me to think either a) they don't really care about it in comparison to the NHL issue, or b) it actually makes them acceptable money already, if it's not broke don't fix it...the football portion of the NEXT proposal was simply chucked in there to show how CSE was using the city's field-house money...

Just do like they did in Sask... make the taxpayers pay for a new Stadium... under the guise of a Calgary revitalization initiative... worked for the former mayor Fiasco and Premier Wall...
ryan3434: gandhi was a black hating racist
Hall of Famer

by brihind88 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:48 pm

A few months ago, there was a poll that indicated 60% of Calgarians surveyed stated NO.

I do not put any stock in polls, as they are only and indication from a small sample.

Getting back to my plebiscite, suggestion.

Why not let Calgarians decide ?

We are about to have a civic election and I know they are all wondering how to handle it.
It does not matter what answer they give, it will be the wrong one.
All-Star

PreviousNext