2 teams with bids in for 2018 Grey Cup

Re: 2 teams with bids in for 2018 Grey Cup

by RedandWhite » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:40 pm

...someone has to be last... :(

...that being said, I'd rather have McMahon and my current property tax bill than the alternative...
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by brihind88 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:04 pm

EastVanMark wrote:
Grover wrote:Matthew Scianitti‏Verified account @TSNScianitti 9h9 hours ago

McMahon Stadium is now the last #CFL stadium without some kind of major renovation in the last 20+ years.

Yup, McMahon now appears to occupy the bottom spot in the stadium rankings

For shame.

Yep, Molson Stadium is at the top.

Man do I wish we had a stadium like Molson.

I can not speak for other Stamp fans, but I am getting annoyed with the rest of Canada telling us what to do. :roll:

BTW Als fans, please do not take offence to my sarcasm. :wink:

All respect to your fan base and your stadium.
Management has done an amazing job with renovations and upgrades from the 17,000 seat unit it once was. :thup:
All-Star

by Eskimosrock » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:46 pm

I will be surprised if Calgary gets it.
The seats are a huge issue. We have the middle seats that have backs and arm rests.Then the outer seats are backless bench style. Some are metal.

Let me tell you about those metal seats. In the summer, they BBQ your ass.
In Oct / Nov, you might as well sit on ice.

I do not want to start this up again, but we do not need a new stadium. We just need to upgrade the seats.
For those of you who will make comment on the line ups at McMahon, drop it.

I have been to IGF, and the concourse line ups are just as bad.

I wonder if the Esks would be better of just selling tickets in the lower bowl, like BC .[/quote]

Are you kidding about the comment on the Esks selling tickets in only the lower bowl? What a stupid thing to do or even suggest.

What the Lions should have done would have been to tarp off the end zone seats with advertising or team logos and situate cheaper tickets in the upper bowl between the 20's and canopy the rest. Instead they look ridiculous in their stadium with only the lower bowl and I've heard many complaints the tickets are too expensive compared to when they opened the upper level.

Besides. An average of 33 000 fans for Edmonton every game doesn't translate to packing the lower bowl. No one wants to sit in the end zone spaces, hence why the upper bowl is decently populated between the 30's most games and lower bowl is relatively packed between the 20's.[/quote]

The Eskimos need to create ticket demand. Stop selling every ticket, only have a certain number of tickets available and create the need to sell more.

They need to fill the lower bowl more, it looks very bad imo. They in reality need a smaller stadium. 42,000 seater not 56,000[/quote]

Well going after BC's model is a recipe for failure. That looks terrible in my opinion.
What I could see the Esks going for is to tarp off the corner endzones with advertisement (they tarp the north endzones already most games) And then maybe tarp off the top half have the second deck in order to force people to sit closer to the field while being able to get those cheaper tickets in the corners upper deck (which are still really good sight lines).

Tarping off the complete upper deck is idiotic at best and detrimental to fan support at worst - just like BC and trying to bring in younger fans on a budget.
The Green and Gold is bold.
Veteran

by Eskimosrock » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:49 pm

cflisthebest wrote:
Eskimosrock wrote:
brihind88 wrote:
But I'm sure though that where ever the league finally decides that either Edmonton or Calgary will put on a great event and showcase for the Grey Cup as the host city .

I will be surprised if Calgary gets it.
The seats are a huge issue. We have the middle seats that have backs and arm rests.Then the outer seats are backless bench style. Some are metal.

Let me tell you about those metal seats. In the summer, they BBQ your ass.
In Oct / Nov, you might as well sit on ice.

I do not want to start this up again, but we do not need a new stadium. We just need to upgrade the seats.
For those of you who will make comment on the line ups at McMahon, drop it.

I have been to IGF, and the concourse line ups are just as bad.

I wonder if the Esks would be better of just selling tickets in the lower bowl, like BC .

Are you kidding about the comment on the Esks selling tickets in only the lower bowl? What a stupid thing to do or even suggest.

What the Lions should have done would have been to tarp off the end zone seats with advertising or team logos and situate cheaper tickets in the upper bowl between the 20's and canopy the rest. Instead they look ridiculous in their stadium with only the lower bowl and I've heard many complaints the tickets are too expensive compared to when they opened the upper level.

Besides. An average of 33 000 fans for Edmonton every game doesn't translate to packing the lower bowl. No one wants to sit in the end zone spaces, hence why the upper bowl is decently populated between the 30's most games and lower bowl is relatively packed between the 20's.

The Eskimos need to create ticket demand. Stop selling every ticket, only have a certain number of tickets available and create the need to sell more.

They need to fill the lower bowl more, it looks very bad imo. They in reality need a smaller stadium. 42,000 seater not 56,000[/quote]

Well going after BC's model is a recipe for failure. That looks terrible in my opinion.
What I could see the Esks going for is to tarp off the corner endzones with advertisement (they tarp the north endzones already most games) And then maybe tarp off the top half have the second deck in order to force people to sit closer to the field while being able to get those cheaper tickets in the corners upper deck (which are still really good sight lines).

Tarping off the complete upper deck is idiotic at best and detrimental to fan support at worst - just like BC and trying to bring in younger fans on a budget
Veteran

by Eskimosrock » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:51 pm

Apology for the "quoting" aspect of my rebuttals, idk how the quoting works when you have to remove them after so long haha
Veteran

by Niagara Als » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:20 pm

It is interesting to note that past Conservative governments, both Provincial and Federal, were unable to get a tidewater port to export your oil. Even Prime minister Harper failed to move the oil. Now with PM Trudeau and Provincial PM Notley, both the Keystone and BC pipelines are in the works. Do you guys really want the return of Conservative Government?
As for the CFL CEO Ken King threatening a move elsewhere, I'd call his bluff!
All-Star

by Taleback » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:42 pm

I'd say Quebec city would be most appreciative if they would call the bluff.
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Niagara Als wrote:It is interesting to note that past Conservative governments, both Provincial and Federal, were unable to get a tidewater port to export your oil. Even Prime minister Harper failed to move the oil. Now with PM Trudeau and Provincial PM Notley, both the Keystone and BC pipelines are in the works. Do you guys really want the return of Conservative Government?!

...another fake news victim..

http://business.financialpost.com/fp-co ... -pipelines

....and totally off-topic for that matter...
Site Staff

by brihind88 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:50 pm

The only fans who need to worry are Calgary.
For the rest of the country, all you guys need to do is watch on tv.
What difference does it make if we have a new stadium or not ?
It has no effect on the other 8 teams.
Even though the other 8 fan bases do have a right to an opinion anyway.

City Council is in a tough spot.
Almost a no win.

If they go ahead with the venture, then they will hear the
" why are you wasting hard earned tax payers $$$ on a stadium that is used for 10 games during summer / fall "?

If they do not go ahead they will hear the
" we are a major league city, why do we not get a new stadium?"

These people have one thing to be concerned about.
Who will be the most pissed off during the election ?
We do have a mayor race coming up, and I am sure it will be a major focus.

Perhaps, they should let the tax paying voters decide with a PLEBISCITE.

DO YOU WANT US TO SACRIFICE SCHOOLS , LIBRARIES, AND ROADWAYS FOR A NEW STADIUM AND ARENA ?

YES OR NO

That way which ever way the decision goes, City Council can do what it does best.
Place the blame somewhere else. Like the voters.
All-Star

by Grover » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:25 am

Maybe the Alberta Government should raise the taxes 5 cents/barrel on the 3M barrels of oil that the oil companies ship out every single day @ $50US a barrel to pay for schools, roads, libraries and hospitals.
Whatever happened to the Billions of $$$ in the infamous rainy day fund??
Obviously not spent on Schools, roads, Libraries and Hospitals!
Was Alberta not one of the richest provinces in the nation and Calgary, the City all of that oil money flowed through only a few years ago and still does, is it now destitute?
I do realize it is none of my business, as I don't live in Alberta, I just don't like to see the oil Companies walking away with massive profits from Alberta and Canada and not contributing adequately to the infrastructure of the Province they are making huge profits from.
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:51 am

Grover wrote:Maybe the Alberta Government should raise the taxes 5 cents/barrel on the 3M barrels of oil that the oil companies ship out every single day @ $50US a barrel to pay for schools, roads, libraries and hospitals.
Whatever happened to the Billions of $$$ in the infamous rainy day fund??
Obviously not spent on Schools, roads, Libraries and Hospitals!

Was Alberta not one of the richest provinces in the nation and Calgary, the City all of that oil money flowed through only a few years ago and still does, is it now destitute?
I do realize it is none of my business, as I don't live in Alberta, I just don't like to see the oil Companies walking away with massive profits from Alberta and Canada and not contributing adequately to the infrastructure of the Province they are making huge profits from.

http://finance.alberta.ca/business/ahstf/faqs.html

"The Heritage Fund is Alberta’s main long-term savings fund. Originally, the Fund was established to collect a portion of Alberta’s non-renewable resource revenue for future generations. The Fund today produces income which supports government programs essential to Albertans like health care and education and infrastructure. . . ."
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:43 am

...thank you dave for replying to, again, the great uninformed...as noted in other OFF-TOPIC threads regarding this subject, Alberta has some of the best infrastructure in the country thanks to the black gold...there are new hospitals in every major city, new health centes in smaller 'burgs, a new cancer centre underway in Calgary to replace the aging Tom Baker Centre, all staffed with the best funded nurses/doctors/technicals in the country, exceptional road systems that are not falling apart (iirc AB is the only province to have twinned the #1 hwy for it's entire length), schools pop up where needed every year, teachers that have not gone on strike since I cannot remember when, etc.....please ppl, do your homework...over the past 30 years or so literally billions have been spent on improving the lives of everyday normal Albertans...please don't worry about us, we're good...

...about the only thing we are missing in material goods is a state-of-the-art football stadium in Calgary...and when that is all you have to complain about then, really, when it comes down to it, you don't have anything to be complaining about...
Site Staff

by Grover » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:24 am

brihind88 wrote:The only fans who need to worry are Calgary.
For the rest of the country, all you guys need to do is watch on tv.
What difference does it make if we have a new stadium or not ?
It has no effect on the other 8 teams.
Even though the other 8 fan bases do have a right to an opinion anyway.

City Council is in a tough spot.
Almost a no win.

If they go ahead with the venture, then they will hear the
" why are you wasting hard earned tax payers $$$ on a stadium that is used for 10 games during summer / fall "?

If they do not go ahead they will hear the
" we are a major league city, why do we not get a new stadium?"

These people have one thing to be concerned about.
Who will be the most pissed off during the election ?
We do have a mayor race coming up, and I am sure it will be a major focus.

Perhaps, they should let the tax paying voters decide with a PLEBISCITE.

DO YOU WANT US TO SACRIFICE SCHOOLS , LIBRARIES, AND ROADWAYS FOR A NEW STADIUM AND ARENA ?

YES OR NO

That way which ever way the decision goes, City Council can do what it does best.
Place the blame somewhere else. Like the voters.

I was simply responding to this above statement in bold

Red & White, you say
"Alberta has some of the best infrastructure in the country thanks to the black gold...there are new hospitals in every major city, new health centes in smaller 'burgs, a new cancer centre underway in Calgary to replace the aging Tom Baker Centre, all staffed with the best funded nurses/doctors/technicals in the country, exceptional road systems that are not falling apart (iirc AB is the only province to have twinned the #1 hwy for it's entire length), schools pop up where needed every year,"

2 contradicting posts
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by RedandWhite » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:24 am

...how is it contradicting?...'88 is saying if you want an arena you will forego the other stuff, the other stuff we are already getting...you're the one saying profits from oil didn't help the province, I'm telling you that's not the case...all of which has nothing to do with the topic at hand...
Site Staff

by brihind88 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:46 pm

To make my point, I was speaking figuratively, not literally.

I picked schools for example because schools just do not pop up when needed.
There are new communities in Calgary that do not have schools but want and need them.
These are on a waiting list of priority. Some have been waiting for 8 years.

What I am trying to get across is there are more important things needed then tax funding a new stadium that will be used 10 x a year.

The good thing is , if they do go a head with the new stadium / arena , it will create a lot of work for contractors. :thup:

This is OT, but perhaps it will help to understand.

A number of years ago, former Calgary Mayor Dave Bonconier wasted 30 million on a bridge that was not needed .
He was then very upset that the province ( Ed Stelmack ) would not provide Calgary with funding for extra needed police.

If Bronco had not wasted $$$$ on a useless bridge, he would have had the funds for extra cops.

PRIORITY, PRIORITY , PRIORITY.
All-Star

PreviousNext