STATE YOUR CFL STAND OUT MEMORY OR MOMENT

Re: STATE YOUR CFL STAND OUT MEMORY OR MOMENT

by slimjim2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:17 pm

brihind88 wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:I would have to go back all the way to November 2016 the last Grey Cup.
First ever OT? was there a better Grey Cup ever?

Sorry Slim.

That was not the first OT .
1962 and 2005 were both OT's.

However , 2016 was perhaps the best Cup ever.

Not 1962, that was the fog bowl that was played over two days and didn't go into OT.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:58 pm

2016 Grey Cup with Ottawa winning ..

Last edited by BigJoeM on Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by bobo82 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:00 pm

Wow , great thread , I could probably fill up a few pages with my memories and moments as a fan of this league for over 45 yrs . Suffice to say though I will only give you a sampling being a CFL and Ti-Cat fan since the late 60's .

The front page of the Spectator and one of the most iconic photos ever taken in league history . My childhood hero big Angelo Mosca hoisting his 5th and final Cup in front of a hometown crowd in "72" :D

Being in the stands at the "98" East Final and watching Ozzy nail that 54 yarder to send us to the Cup . I swear it looked like the ball was going in slow motion until it went through the uprights and old Ivor Wynne went absolutely berserk with joy . Pure pandemonium . A scene I'll never forget . ps......watch the look on Climie's face walking off the field at 5:16 Priceless :D :rockin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLXRc94IEjU

And finally on a sad note I'll never forget Dave Stala dedicating a TD pass to Jake Rayner in the 2011 East Semi in Montreal . Jake was a close friend of my son from school as well as a team mate of his in HMFA football . Jake ended up with terminal cancer and sadly passed away at age 17 the next week just hours after watching the Cats go down to defeat in the East final vs Winnipeg . We all miss ya Jake :cry: Hopefully you're still watching from above . You'll never be forgotten .

Stala's TD catch for Jake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2CToqeEMs

Newspaper article about Stala's promise and the passing of Jake.
http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/cfl ... is-promise

Dave Stala visiting Jake after the game and giving him the TD game ball as well as his game jersey . Dave Stala and Kevin Glenn = nothing but class !!! :thup: :thup:
15 GREY CUPS for HAMILTON BASED TEAMS

All-Star

by brihind88 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:29 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
brihind88 wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:I would have to go back all the way to November 2016 the last Grey Cup.
First ever OT? was there a better Grey Cup ever?

Sorry Slim.

That was not the first OT .
1962 and 2005 were both OT's.

However , 2016 was perhaps the best Cup ever.

Not 1962, that was the fog bowl that was played over two days and didn't go into OT.

So sorry.

I meant 1961. :oops: :oops: :oops:
All-Star

by Cool » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:27 am

(it's how I became a fan)

(P.S. great post Bobo)
(Stala's TD & reaction after)
Pull Together everyone
All-Star

by Xvys » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:15 pm

My most memorial CFL moment was at my first ever game. It was during the 1977 Western Semi-Final with the Bombers visiting the Lions at Empire Stadium.

My brother-in-law bought us some excellent seats on the 35-yd-line. The game was a close see-saw battle, then late in the 4th-Q Bomber speedster Mike Holmes broke free with a 5-yd cushion. Deiter Brock spotted him and lofted a picture-perfect pass. Holmes reached up to catch it and there it was. The winning touchdown for the Bombers. Deflation. Disappointment. But out of nowhere came Lions DB Joe Fourqurean, who dove horizontally, literally flying through the air and reached out to just tip the ball away with the very end of his fingertip. The crowd was aghast. Nobody could believe it!

That was the most amazing football play I've ever seen and it happened right in front of me at my first game. I've been hooked on the CFL ever since.

Oddly enough, Fourquerean had no memory of the play or anything that happened in the 2nd half after getting knocked in the head earlier in the game.

The Lions "Cardiac Kids" went on to win that playoff game 34-33, rewarding them with a trip to Edmonton to face the awesome Esks in the Final. The Lions were crushed 38-1. At the end of the game B.C. coach Vic Rapp had to be physically restrained from attacking Esk's coach Hugh Campbell whom Rapp thought had run up the score. TE Harry Holt literally picked the coach off the ground from behind with Rapp kicking his legs and flailing his arms trying to get at Campbell. Them's was the good old days!

Joe Fourqurean died unexpectedly in 2013 at the age of 63. He appeared in 122 career games and notched 15 interceptions for the Lions from 1973 to 1981. He was named to the 1977 CFL All-Star team as well as three separate BC Lions Dream Teams (’84, ’94 and 2004). Most recently, he was named to the B.C. Lions Wall of Fame in 2011.
All-Star

by GHT120 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:16 pm

It should be George Dixon rushing for 253 yards (including one for 109 yards) but I was 5 years old and looking for the popcorn guy most of the game (I was there because they had an extra ticket and no sitter).

I've seen all the great ones over the years but in the pre-blocking on punt returns days I can never forget the image of Ed George sprinting full blast down field, launching himself into the air and wiping out some poor Canadian canon fodder who was returning the punt at the head; the viciousness of that play has never left me.
All-Star

by EsksfansDan1964 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:45 pm

In 1972 My dad took me to my first game at the old CNE in Toronto. He was cheering for the Argo's so I of course cheered for the Eskimos. In 73 he took me again to see the Esks beat the Argo's. For my first Communion a big thing among French Canadians and Italians he asked what I wanted so I said to go to another Esks game. He actually bought Airline tickets from Sudbury to Edmonton and tickets to the Western Final so I got to see McGowan's amazing catch.

The next year my dad had a stroke and was never the same he passed in 76 of Cancer probably from the Mines. That is my most cherished Football moment. (I even still have the program's from the games.)

I have been and always will be an Esks Fan till the day I die. I usually try to take in at least one game in Hammy or Toronto each season.
Rookie

by beaglehound » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:24 pm

EsksfansDan1964 wrote:In 1972 My dad took me to my first game at the old CNE in Toronto. He was cheering for the Argo's so I of course cheered for the Eskimos. In 73 he took me again to see the Esks beat the Argo's. For my first Communion a big thing among French Canadians and Italians he asked what I wanted so I said to go to another Esks game. He actually bought Airline tickets from Sudbury to Edmonton and tickets to the Western Final so I got to see McGowan's amazing catch.

The next year my dad had a stroke and was never the same he passed in 76 of Cancer probably from the Mines. That is my most cherished Football moment. (I even still have the program's from the games.)

I have been and always will be an Esks Fan till the day I die. I usually try to take in at least one game in Hammy or Toronto each season.

Thanks for sharing that. :thup:
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by Dust » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:30 pm

I have a couple

Oct. 14th, 1995: A not very good 6 win Rider team knocked off the 15-3 Calgary Stampeders at home in front of 55,438 fans. I remember we got a late TD and the place went wild.

Labour Day 2007: Kerry Joseph's late QB draw for a TD and the place went wild again

Grey Cup 2013: Not much more needs to be said. Great day, great game, great memory.
All-Star

by sth1988 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:46 am

Walking out of Ivor Wynne after the Argos won a Labour Day Game. Didn't happen too often.
A couple of specific memories.
1997 Eastern Final. Flutie scrambles around and find Pinball and he runs like a thousand yards for a TD. Off to Edmonton for the Grey Cup. I was so happy I was crying.
1996 Grey Cup. All that snow. They were trying to keep the snow off the yard lines but couldn't keep up. Walked out of Ivor Wynne happy. 38,000 people there and only a handful of Argo fans. So much fun.
2004 playoffs and Grey Cup. Those were an amazing 3 weeks. My son was only a year and and a half and went to all the games with us. Friday night playoff game because the Wiggles were at the Skydome on Sunday, win, off to Montreal. Stayed in the same hotel as the Argos...so cool, win, off to Ottawa. Stayed at the same hotel as the Argos again...really cool. We were in the lobby when the team got back. Mike O'Shea came over to us with the Grey Cup to thank us for supporting the team. He might have had a few on the bus trip back to the hotel.

Great memories
Rookie

by brihind88 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:48 am

I just remembered this one.

How could I forget ?

Again, it does not have to be a good one.

The Joe Kapp sucker punch on Angie Mosca.

Joe Kapp, was and still is a tough SOB.

Angelo is handi-capped. There was no justification for that.

Kapp was lucky he was not sued for that swing and hit.

Angie was lucky he was not hurt and was able to get up.
All-Star

by rpaege » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:10 pm

My most memorable moment was Waddell Smith waving goodbye in the 67th cup.
ImageImage
All-Star

by FootbalYouBet » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:17 pm

brihind88 wrote:I just remembered this one.

How could I forget ?

that whole thing was scumbag mosca's fault.

Kapp tried to make a peaceful gesture and AM just swatted him away.

AM was a dirty player showed that he was still a dirty human

Kapp just should have belted him way back when.
Live well and please God

FYB has left the building
Hall of Famer

by brihind88 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:44 am

FootbalYouBet wrote:
brihind88 wrote:I just remembered this one.

How could I forget ?

that whole thing was scumbag mosca's fault.

Kapp tried to make a peaceful gesture and AM just swatted him away.

AM was a dirty player showed that he was still a dirty human

Kapp just should have belted him way back when.

It is all about what is justified.

Yes, Kapp did make a nice offer of flowers.

Mosca told him to shove it.

Kapp shoves the flowers in his face.

Mosca swings his cane at him.

Kapp knocks him on his ass.

Kapp was acting in self defense.

However, was it justified to punch a handi-capped person ?
All-Star

PreviousNext