STATE YOUR CFL STAND OUT MEMORY OR MOMENT

Re: STATE YOUR CFL STAND OUT MEMORY OR MOMENT

by brihind88 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:38 pm

slimjim2 wrote:I would have to go back all the way to November 2016 the last Grey Cup.
First ever OT? was there a better Grey Cup ever?

Sorry Slim.

That was not the first OT .
1962 and 2005 were both OT's.

However , 2016 was perhaps the best Cup ever.
All-Star

by cflisthebest » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:29 pm

1989 seeing the cocky 16-2 Edmonton Eskimos lose to The 9-9 Roughriders

And the first time the Esks missed the playoffs in 2007 in 34 seasons
A Proud member of the Rider Nation!
All-Star

by brihind88 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:51 pm

cflisthebest wrote:1989 seeing the cocky 16-2 Edmonton Eskimos lose to The 9-9 Roughriders

:thup: :thup: :thup:

1989 was not only a great day for the Riders but the CFLas well. All of CFL fans in Canada excluding Hamilton were routing for the Riders.

EE Everyone's Enemy

BTW, it was 2006 for Esks missing the play-offs.

It stands out because it is very rare for a team to win the Cup ( 2005 ) and miss the play-offs the next year.
All-Star

by cflisthebest » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:26 pm

brihind88 wrote:
cflisthebest wrote:1989 seeing the cocky 16-2 Edmonton Eskimos lose to The 9-9 Roughriders

:thup: :thup: :thup:

1989 was not only a great day for the Riders but the CFLas well. All of CFL fans in Canada excluding Hamilton were routing for the Riders.

EE Everyone's Enemy

BTW, it was 2006 for Esks missing the play-offs.

It stands out because it is very rare for a team to win the Cup ( 2005 ) and miss the play-offs the next year.

Oh, ok
A Proud member of the Rider Nation!
All-Star

by BCRiderFan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:00 pm

My last ever visit to Taylor Field in 2013 to see the Riders win the one and only Grey Cup on that historic field. I'll never beat that one in my lifetime. Fans had tears streaming down their faces after waiting a lifetime for this moment.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions
Veteran

by brihind88 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:40 pm

beaglehound wrote:
brihind88 wrote:
- 1975 . I saved this for the last. It was not a good moment. Horrible day in a young man`s life and CFL history .

TOM PATE.

I was at the game in 1975 ( Grade 7 - 12 years old ) between the Stamps and Ti-Cats.
There was a play were Pate was hit and went down and did not get up.
He was not even moving.

Anyway, they got him to an ambulance and off to the hospital.
He was in a coma. I remember hearing on the radio 2 or 3 days later he died in the hospital.
It was an aneurysm.
It was in his brain and it took that one hit.

I remember it clear like yesterday.
So glad he will never be forgotten with his name on the award.

Anybody else want to share anything .....

I remember watching that game Brihind88. It was Rick Galbos that made the hit on Tom Pate. I remember it a little differently than you . I remember seeing the hit and Pate going down. I also recall that he was helped up, and under the support of either a couple of players or team staff was being helped off the field. Suddenly his legs just when like soft spaghetti and he couldn't walk. I can't remember what happened after that. 42 years ago is a long time so the memory might be a little fuzzy but I definitely remember the play. A day or two later I realized that a young CFL player was actually killed live on TV. Tragic for sure.

On more positive note I have two stand out memories:

1. The 1994 Western Final between Calgary and B.C. It was played in Calgary and it was snowing heavily. You could not even see the lines and numbers on the field. If I recall Danny McManus, replaced Kent Austin in the QB position for the Lions. Guess who was the QB for Calgary? And guess who the coach was for Calgary in that game? Here is a 9 minute clip that should excite any vintage CFL fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tAwzfKFYzU

2. The 2011 BC Lions season. What a season! The team was 0-5 and Lions fans figured this was a lost cause and then they won a game. Hooray! And then lost again. Now they were 1-7. Whoop -dee- doo. Who would have thought the B.C. Lions would turn their season around and end up taking 1st place in the West having made such a dismal start? And it isn't as if they'd won just a few games and the other teams were terrible. The Lions finished with a respectable 22 points on the season. So did Calgary and Edmonton but the Lions had the better record and earned first place.

The Lions in 2011 not only went on to take 1st place in the West but they beat Edmonton in the Western Final and won the Grey Cup that year beating out Winnipeg.

And the icing on the cake as they say? My wife and I were season's ticket holders that year and got to see the Western Final in BC Place and the Grey Cup in BC. Place. The first [and the last so far] Grey Cup game we have ever seen live! It has never been the same for us so we will hang on to those treasured memories for a very long time.

Perhaps it was team staff. I thought it was paramedics.
Who ever it was that went to help took their time.
I just remember seeing him lay there and fans yelling.

I was 12, so I can not be sure . Main thing is he was only 22 or 23.
Life cut way to short and it can happen to any one of us.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:21 am

"Main thing is he was only 22 or 23.
Life cut way to short and it can happen to any one of us."...by Brinhind88

For sure. Very tragic. He would have been about 64 years old now. Who knows what opportunities he might have had.
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by Cool » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:56 am

pikk wrote: But my big moment came just a couple yrs ago, when my new neighbor showed me his 6 grey cup rings.

Heck of a neighbour...
Pull Together everyone
All-Star

by pikk » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:04 am

Cool wrote:
pikk wrote: But my big moment came just a couple yrs ago, when my new neighbor showed me his 6 grey cup rings.

Heck of a neighbour...
He is.
All-Star

by brihind88 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:27 am

disciplineandpunish wrote:The second half of the 2009 Grey Cup game will never fade for me. Epic comeback by my Als capped by the infamous 13th man. :thup: :thup:

The Als did not win because of the 13 th man ( Sean Lucas ).
The Als won because their D shut down the Riders in the second half.
Also the Riders D were not able to.

When you are a fan of a team that has Final or Cup defeats on a regular basis, it just feels so much better when you finally cash in.

Stamps fans know all about that.
93 :( 94 :( 95 :(

98 :) 01 :)
All-Star

by disciplineandpunish » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:09 pm

brihind88 wrote:
disciplineandpunish wrote:The second half of the 2009 Grey Cup game will never fade for me. Epic comeback by my Als capped by the infamous 13th man. :thup: :thup:

The Als did not win because of the 13 th man ( Sean Lucas ).
The Als won because their D shut down the Riders in the second half.
Also the Riders D were not able to.

When you are a fan of a team that has Final or Cup defeats on a regular basis, it just feels so much better when you finally cash in.

Stamps fans know all about that.
93 :( 94 :( 95 :(

98 :) 01 :)

Exactly. The 13th man was a penalty, but it wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference if we hadn't come back from a 14-point deficit, forced the Riders into a couple of key turnovers, converted a TD for two points, and kept the chains moving on a crucial third and 2 in which AC was in shotgun and found Richardson for the gain on a broken play.

After the defeats in 2003, 2005, 2006, and 2008, it was beyond sweet to get the win in 2009.
"I coach good players a lot better than I coach bad players." -Mark Nelson
Hall of Famer

by brihind88 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:05 pm

There were a hand full of people from Montreal at that game.

They stood out on tv wearing red white and blue . Some even had white stetson hats.
A trademark of Calgary.
I had wondered if they had them for a souvenir or they were showing respect to Calgary.
Regardless, it was kinda cool to see.

I felt so sorry for them. Must have been hell buried in that giant sea of green.
I assume they went home thrilled and fulfilled.
All-Star

by pikk » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Cool wrote:

Heck of a neighbour...
And a close friend of his, Larry highbaugh just passed away.
All-Star

by beaglehound » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Sorry to hear of Highbaugh's passing. He will long be remembered for his contributions to the Eskies franchise. When returning punts, opponents feared him.

"Highbaugh died in Snelville, Ga., where he was a teacher at South Gwinnett high school, working with autistic students for more than two decades. Gwinnettprepsports.com reported Highbaugh had been diagnosed with a rare heart condition and was on a transplant list, but was taken off after doctors discovered prostate cancer. Highbaugh died Tuesday evening while undergoing heart surgery."

Age 67 is too young to go. :(
"Peace is not the absence of conflict in life but the ability to cope with it."
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:17 pm

brihind88 wrote:
slimjim2 wrote:I would have to go back all the way to November 2016 the last Grey Cup.
First ever OT? was there a better Grey Cup ever?

Sorry Slim.

That was not the first OT .
1962 and 2005 were both OT's.

However , 2016 was perhaps the best Cup ever.

Not 1962, that was the fog bowl that was played over two days and didn't go into OT.
All-Star

PreviousNext