CFL Growing Internationally: The Little League That Can...

Re: CFL Growing Internationally: The Little League That Can.

by RedandWhite » Thu May 18, 2017 1:36 pm

...why not Reykjavik?
There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.
Site Staff

by EastVanMark » Thu May 18, 2017 1:38 pm

RedandWhite wrote:...why not Reykjavik?

The Reykjavik Rough-Riders
All-Star

by ArgoT » Thu May 18, 2017 2:05 pm

letsgoticats wrote:
ArgoT wrote:Why not have an exhibition game in London?

:lol:

Because it's expensive and no one would buy tickets.

You can laugh all you want.
That's why you have game sponsors at the site in question.
If not London, how about Germany or my preference Hawaii.
Even though we are basically a mom and pop type league, there is no reason not to try to grow the game internationally.
It's time for the next commissioner and the BOG to start thinking and implementing out of the box.
All-Star

by Cool » Thu May 18, 2017 2:33 pm

letsgoticats wrote:

Yes, exporting anything outside our country (except living here) continues to be a serious problem...
Pull Together everyone
All-Star

by Cflukb69 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:33 pm

As im a brit in uk i thought i'd throw my thoughts in.
Been following cfl a few years. It is on bt subscribe tv and as previously said the games tend to be too late live. I watch highlights from the website and whole games utube.
A Cfl game might get 20k in uk but more likely 10k. The best way to get people there or interested is target the nfl fans in uk.
Another way to increase interest is the free to air channels as nfl did in the 80's here but they would pay less. Sport associations never seem too fussed on that option.
Looking forward to the season and i visit the cfl and cfl forum site every day.
Sadly I have tried to order a number of tops and hats over last few years but cfl doesnt deliver here.
Rookie

by letsgoticats » Thu May 18, 2017 5:39 pm

ArgoT wrote:
letsgoticats wrote:

Even though we are basically a mom and pop type league, there is no reason not to try to grow the game internationally.
It's time for the next commissioner and the BOG to start thinking and implementing out of the box.

What do they gain from a small amount of exposure in Germany? Why Hawaii? Are you just drawing random places out of a hat.

Focus on fixing problems at home.
Starter

by BCRiderFan » Thu May 18, 2017 6:03 pm

ArgoT wrote:
letsgoticats wrote:

Because it's expensive and no one would buy tickets. Jeesuz, some of the things you read on this site.
Grey Cup wins last decade, okay 11 years

Sask - 2
BC - 2
Cal - 2
Mtl - 2
Tor - 1
Edm -1
Ott - 1
Ham - 0
Wpg - 0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_G ... _champions
Veteran

by Xvys » Thu May 18, 2017 7:55 pm

Cflukb69 wrote:As im a brit in uk i thought i'd throw my thoughts in.
Been following cfl a few years. It is on bt subscribe tv and as previously said the games tend to be too late live. I watch highlights from the website and whole games utube.
A Cfl game might get 20k in uk but more likely 10k. The best way to get people there or interested is target the nfl fans in uk.
Another way to increase interest is the free to air channels as nfl did in the 80's here but they would pay less. Sport associations never seem too fussed on that option.
Sadly I have tried to order a number of tops and hats over last few years but cfl doesnt deliver here.

Glad you enjoy the games! I'd have to agree, a CFL preseason game in the UK might draw only 10,000 fans (perhaps the Argos might be interested?)

As EVMark pointed out, the preseason games in the U.S. drew fairly well. The Portland game in '93 drew 17,000 fans to their weird stadium, Sacramento 20,000 and Baltimore 40,000 (although they were awarded CFL franchises.)

Not sure about Reykjavik but the CFL should perhaps target U.S. cities which will never get a NFL franchise (St. Louis?) Fans in these cities know the CFL will be their only opportunity to have a pro football franchise...and they might support it like Baltimore did, leading the CFL in attendance in 1994 (2nd in 1995). The Stallions home playoff game was sold-out and it wasn't part of their season ticket package. The fan support in Baltimore went way beyond "trying to show the NFL what they lost". Fans there thoroughly enjoyed the CFL (and perhaps the NFL even more).

The San Antonio Texans drew over 20,000 to their playoff game. Owner, Fred Anderson wanted to continue in the Alamodome but the league decided to pull the plug on the entire Southern division.

Other U.S. locations could include: Portland, Sacramento, San Diego, Boise, Salt Lake, Grand Rapids and Rochester (which had a team in the Ontario Rugby Football Union until 1960 when the league disbanded after the CFL was formed.) The ORFU was the birthplace of football, forming the first proto-league of city teams in the 1880's (several decades before any U.S. city football leagues were created.) The ORFU introduced the "line of scrimmage" to their league in 1881, forever differentiating Canadian football from English rugby with their scrums.

Games in Hawaii makes sense too. Honolulu lost the Pro Bowl and are a bit alienated from the lower 48, along with Alaska. Those states will never get a NFL team and might be receptive to CFL games.

Other cities to consider hosting games should include: Victoria, Kelowna, Red Deer, Saskatoon, London Ont, Kitchener, Guelph, Waterloo, Windsor/Detroit, Kingston, Moncton and Halifax.
All-Star

by canadianfootballfan » Thu May 18, 2017 10:24 pm

It seems that any NFL or NCAA fan based media that ever writes about the CFL always seems to point out that it's good when you have nothing else to watch - and people think that's a good thing? What that says is that when they overlap, for months, that the CFL isn't really worth your time then.

I find it truly sad that most Canadians take this subordinate mindset, and take any compliment, like this backhanded one in that article, and get filled with glee over the attention.

What a bunch of pathetic beta's.
Veteran

by brihind88 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:17 pm

Xvys wrote:
Cflukb69 wrote:As im a brit in uk i thought i'd throw my thoughts in.

Glad you enjoy the games! I'd have to agree, a CFL preseason game in the UK might draw only 10,000 fans (perhaps the Argos might be interested?)

As EVMark pointed out, the preseason games in the U.S. drew fairly well. The Portland game in '93 drew 17,000 fans to their weird stadium, Sacramento 20,000 and Baltimore 40,000 (although they were awarded CFL franchises.)

Not sure about Reykjavik but the CFL should perhaps target U.S. cities which will never get a NFL franchise (St. Louis?) Fans in these cities know the CFL will be their only opportunity to have a pro football franchise...and they might support it like Baltimore did, leading the CFL in attendance in 1994 (2nd in 1995). The Stallions home playoff game was sold-out and it wasn't part of their season ticket package. The fan support in Baltimore went way beyond "trying to show the NFL what they lost". Fans there thoroughly enjoyed the CFL (and perhaps the NFL even more).

The San Antonio Texans drew over 20,000 to their playoff game. Owner, Fred Anderson wanted to continue in the Alamodome but the league decided to pull the plug on the entire Southern division.

Other U.S. locations could include: Portland, Sacramento, San Diego, Boise, Salt Lake, Grand Rapids and Rochester (which had a team in the Ontario Rugby Football Union until 1960 when the league disbanded after the CFL was formed.) The ORFU was the birthplace of football, forming the first proto-league of city teams in the 1880's (several decades before any U.S. city football leagues were created.) The ORFU introduced the "line of scrimmage" to their league in 1881, forever differentiating Canadian football from English rugby with their scrums.

Games in Hawaii makes sense too. Honolulu lost the Pro Bowl and are a bit alienated from the lower 48, along with Alaska. Those states will never get a NFL team and might be receptive to CFL games.

Other cities to consider hosting games should include: Victoria, Kelowna, Red Deer, Saskatoon, London Ont, Kitchener, Guelph, Waterloo, Windsor/Detroit, Kingston, Moncton and Halifax.

Not sure where you are getting your numbers or info from , but you are way off.

1 - The 95 semi playoff game in San Antonio drew just over 13,000

2 - The 95 playoff game in Baltimore was not even close to a sell out. 30,000 + were at the South final. Memorial stadium capacity was 54,000 .

3 - Fred Anderson never pulled the plug. CFL made that decision. Anderson was livid while interviewed . He wanted to stay.
All-Star

by brihind88 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:29 pm

canadianfootballfan wrote:It seems that any NFL or NCAA fan based media that ever writes about the CFL always seems to point out that it's good when you have nothing else to watch - and people think that's a good thing? What that says is that when they overlap, for months, that the CFL isn't really worth your time then.

I find it truly sad that most Canadians take this subordinate mindset, and take any compliment, like this backhanded one in that article, and get filled with glee over the attention.

What a bunch of pathetic beta's.

I find the the report condescending.
I would rather have not seen it.
It talks about the CFL , like we are a development league. :thdn:

Yet the average Canadian ego will get giddy over it.

" they like us - they really like us " :roll:

BTW, Dear Lord.

Please give me the internal strength to ignore or at least endure those who try to use this report , to suggest US expansion.

" lets try some pre - season games in the US at least " :roll: :roll: :thdn: :thdn:

If I read one more post about US expansion , I will smash my lap top against a brick wall. :x :x
All-Star

by OskeeweeneeVI » Fri May 19, 2017 12:35 am

Thanks, Bri. It amazes me how many don't understand that US labor laws would destroy any competitive balance in the league. If there is such a demand for Canadian football in certain US cities, then let them start their own league.
Starter

by brihind88 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:22 am

OskeeweeneeVI wrote:Thanks, Bri. It amazes me how many don't understand that US labor laws would destroy any competitive balance in the league. If there is such a demand for Canadian football in certain US cities, then let them start their own league.

Yes, the import rule violates US labour laws. !!!!!!
I mention this every time someone states they are ok with US expansion as long as they follow the import rule. :roll:

Also, people forget what took place:

- US Owners wanted to change the name to North American League.
- Pepper Rogers wanted to go to 4 downs to satisfy US fans.
- Jim Speros wanted to start the season 1 month later to play the Grey Cup in December.
- Other than Baltimore US stadiums were empty.

Larry Smith and Larry Ryckman were the pied pipers of that mess and should never have taken place.

The only good thing that came out of it, was we got Montreal back from Baltimore.

I just get more frustrated every post I read, from those who think it will work a second time.

I ask myself, do they want to destroy the CFL ?

Might just as well build a cruise ship and call it Titanic 2.
All-Star

by Aerial » Fri May 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks Xvys for that site, love this line from the article:

Just be warned when you find yourself watching football in July on a huge field with lots of pre-snap movement and no 4th down…you might just find yourself starting to fall in love with the little league that can grab our attention.
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by Argofan_1000 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Pro[76].PNG

how would the media rank a league as Major? click on the chart to enlarge

I wanted to post the 2017 NCAA player chart for all of the sports. Hopefully the chart is large enough to see just how many are playing in NCAA football and just how few move on to a professional career in the NFL or CFL. Look at the other sports and you have to conclude the CFL is selecting at the very top of the number available. This has to be a marketing tool to grow this league Internationally or at home. Is this reflected in the attitude of the TO, Vancouver, or Montreal sports fans? probably not.

Also U sports football at 45 per team and Major Jr A hockey at 24 per team - 60 teams (US, Canada) almost have the same number of players "Playing" .
Veteran

PreviousNext