2017 the Hottest Grey Cup Ticket in Years, maybe Decades!!

Re: 2017 the Hottest Grey Cup Ticket in Years, maybe Decades

by drummer_god » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 am

Once Ottawa sells all the 34,000 grey cup tickets and it's deemed an overwhelming success, they will announce that they are adding more temp seats due to overwhelming demand, and look even more successful.
Hall of Famer

by The Last Word » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:35 pm

The site is incredibly small. There might be room for a few more thousand seats if that. That's about it.

There certainly is not adequate enough space to have more than 40,000, possibly not even that.
Starter

by Eskimosrock » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:55 pm

Way too few Grey Cup seats available... It's easy to sell out 34,000 seats for a Grey Cup. Hottest ticket in decades? Yeah right, Edmonton sold out Commonwealth Stadium when it had a 65,000 seat capacity in 2010 before the season started. That was the hottest ticket for decades. But kudos to Ottawa, they love their RedBlacks and football. :thup:
The Green and Gold is bold.
Veteran

by pikk » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:19 pm

I am less then a hr away but I wont be going. I been there before and had a super great time. But now at a older age I enjoy sitting in front of the tv and watch the grey cup show from 1pm ,right thru till the end of the game.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:36 pm

The Last Word wrote:The site is incredibly small. There might be room for a few more thousand seats if that. That's about it.

There certainly is not adequate enough space to have more than 40,000, possibly not even that.

I wouldn't think they could get more than 34k in there - that would be 10,000 more than there is now. A 8,000 seat grandstand at one end is going to be big enough, and possibly 2k where the patio is on the other end.
All-Star

by EastVanMark » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:39 pm

drummer_god wrote:Once Ottawa sells all the 34,000 grey cup tickets and it's deemed an overwhelming success, they will announce that they are adding more temp seats due to overwhelming demand, and look even more successful.

Thats a heck of a lot better than "we've decided to put the stage in the endzone because we're trying to cover up that ticket sales have been sluggish" or "there's been too many events lately and that and that alone is why we are slashing ticket prices at the least minute" in order to fill our small-to-begin-with-stadium/have a Grey Cup ticket with your pizza" that we've been treated to the last 2 seasons
All-Star

by EastVanMark » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Gornaldatron wrote:
The Last Word wrote:I'm sure they will sell all the seats to the Grey Cup by the time the regular season rolls around in late June.

As for capacity, 34,000 is the most they can seat at that site given the available space. Ticats will only be able to fit a similar amount as well when they eventually bid.

Where did they say that was the most seating they could have? The 2004 Grey Cup had an attendance of 51,242. I realize there was a lot of change to Lansdowne Park, but I didn't think it was that much.

Agreed. All the development has been great at Landsdowne but I wish they left the ability to expand to at least 40,000 seats for Grey Cups.
All-Star

by The Last Word » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:05 pm

Just look at the overhead satellite image of the site and you will see there is little room for additional seating.
Starter

by slimjim2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:41 am

Gornaldatron wrote:
The Last Word wrote:I'm sure they will sell all the seats to the Grey Cup by the time the regular season rolls around in late June.

As for capacity, 34,000 is the most they can seat at that site given the available space. Ticats will only be able to fit a similar amount as well when they eventually bid.

Where did they say that was the most seating they could have? The 2004 Grey Cup had an attendance of 51,242. I realize there was a lot of change to Lansdowne Park, but I didn't think it was that much.

But don't forget that in 2004, the stadium had mainly bench seats and the Bank St end was open and there was lots of space for temp stands. That end of the stadium now has a condo building, a large scoreboard, other buildings and a walkway above the field. The space there is gone and only room for a patio deck.
Back in 2004 they put a 10k temp stand at either end.
The new South Side has 12,000 actual seats with a large concourse between decks, the seats run from 10 yards deep into the endzone. Therefore you have 12k seats in a space 130 yards long. The old north side was renovated with all seats and the benches were removed which meant less seats. A seat takes up almost 2 spots on the old benches.

Just like in Hamilton, you can build a much bigger stadium but have 4k to 5k less permanent seating and not much space for temp stands.
All-Star

by -Hammer- » Mon May 01, 2017 12:28 am

slimjim2 wrote:
Gornaldatron wrote:

But don't forget that in 2004, the stadium had mainly bench seats and the Bank St end was open and there was lots of space for temp stands. That end of the stadium now has a condo building, a large scoreboard, other buildings and a walkway above the field. The space there is gone and only room for a patio deck.
Back in 2004 they put a 10k temp stand at either end.
The new South Side has 12,000 actual seats with a large concourse between decks, the seats run from 10 yards deep into the endzone. Therefore you have 12k seats in a space 130 yards long. The old north side was renovated with all seats and the benches were removed which meant less seats. A seat takes up almost 2 spots on the old benches.

Just like in Hamilton, you can build a much bigger stadium but have 4k to 5k less permanent seating and not much space for temp stands.

This is true, but in the case of Hamilton, this wasn't as large a concern becuase of just how much open space Tim Horton's Feild has on it's south side. You could practically build a CIS stadium with the room you have there. You also do have room to build over the endzone patio on the north end. I just can't see Tim Horton's Field struggling to add 15,000 temp seats.
Les Tigre-Chats de Hamilton - Naufrage des navires depuis 1869
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:06 pm

-Hammer- wrote:This is true, but in the case of Hamilton, this wasn't as large a concern becuase of just how much open space Tim Horton's Feild has on it's south side. You could practically build a CIS stadium with the room you have there. You also do have room to build over the endzone patio on the north end. I just can't see Tim Horton's Field struggling to add 15,000 temp seats.

But don't forget that you can only build temp stands across the Width of the field behind the south end zone, probably 8k to 10k at max. Don't know about the scoreboard end, maybe just a couple of thousand in there.
If 12,000 seats cover the present length of each side of the field 110 yards plus 10 yards into the end zone - that's a grandstand 130 yards long seating 12k, compare that to how many seats you could get in an and end zone where the width is only 40 yards wide.
I think the zoning regulations and the fire marshal would only permit upt to 10k temp seats total, and they would have to provide porta potties and concesssions in a cordoned off seperate area, you can't have an additional 10,000 fans using the existing toilets and concessions.
THF will likely have the same capacity as TD Place for a GC - 34k
All-Star

by ro1313 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:24 pm

Looks to me like there is quite a bit of extra temp seating
I bought mine by the way

Regular seating

Grey cup seating

Hall of Famer

by Argofan_1000 » Wed May 10, 2017 6:16 pm

Paulo Senra CFL Office

Less than 6,000 tickets left for the 105th #GreyCup presented by @ShawInfo!

.@TD_Place will expand from 24,000 to approx. 35,000 for 105th #GreyCup (2,000 temp seats in west end + 9,000 in east end of stadium). #CFL
2 replies 7 retweets 20 likes
Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra 7h7 hours ago

Via @REDBLACKS: There are only 6,000 tickets left for the 105th #GreyCup, to be hosted on November 26th 2017, in Ottawa. #CFL
Veteran

by slimjim2 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:15 am

Argofan_1000 wrote:Paulo Senra CFL Office

Less than 6,000 tickets left for the 105th #GreyCup presented by @ShawInfo!

.@TD_Place will expand from 24,000 to approx. 35,000 for 105th #GreyCup (2,000 temp seats in west end + 9,000 in east end of stadium). #CFL
2 replies 7 retweets 20 likes
Paulo Senra‏ @paulosenra 7h7 hours ago

Via @REDBLACKS: There are only 6,000 tickets left for the 105th #GreyCup, to be hosted on November 26th 2017, in Ottawa. #CFL

29,000 sold so far and only 6,000 left. The tickets were available only to season ticket holders and anyone buying the 5 game flex-pack. GC tickets did go on sale last month to season ticket holders from other teams.
There won't be too many available to non-Ottawa ticket buyers when the individual tickets go on sale

http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/footbal ... place-game
All-Star

by Gornaldatron » Tue May 16, 2017 10:01 pm

It will be interesting to see when those temporary seats are ready for use. The Redblacks are seeing a huge surge in season ticket sales thanks to being defending Grey Cup champs and hosting the game this year (similar to Calgary in 2009 when they set attendance records). The cfl.ca article said that the temporary stands would only be erected in late September, meaning that it would probably only be in place for their final regular season home game on Friday Oct 27 since hte home game previous to that is September 29.

I'm hoping they do it a bit more incrementally, such as adding the west side seating earlier if only to capitalize on the popularity and sell more seating. As another poster mentioned, since the cost of installing the seating is quite high, adding it early and selling regular season tickets out of them would be more cost-effective.
Veteran

PreviousNext