ESPN's stake in TSN up for sale ?

Re: ESPN's stake in TSN up for sale ?

by brihind88 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:30 am

ed ohmnes wrote:This is where the CBC should step in, and solidify a great Canadian sport, certain things are worth government support

That would not even be possible.

Bell - CTV owns 80 %. CTV will not be in partnership with their prime competition.

CBC Sports at this point should not even exist.

Between TSN and Rogers, CBC should not be involved in sports.

This is Canada. We do not need 3 sports outlets.
2 can cover all sports. Also drop poker and billiards.
Those are not sports they should be on A&E.

They have to go out of their way to find something to air.
If they grabbed the few sports CBC shows ( horse jumping, skiing , swimming ) they could fill their spots.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:30 pm

It's a safe bet I will be watching the games almost entirely once again in the US on pirate feeds like I have since 2010. Part of that reality is because since 2008, I have never paid extra for ESPN and all those channels (or for a few games in 2011, NBCSN) even when I did have it. Before too long after the glitches are worked out, I'll probably sign up for one of the new services like Sling or Sony Vue though.
All-Star

by brianjoxx » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:49 pm

HfxTC wrote:They won't disappear but I think they will be sold off. Disney is horny to get a stake of Netflix and Netflix is horny for Disney's content. That's going to take a lot of money. Netflix is worth close to 50 billion, This would make the purchase of Netflix 10 times the cost of the biggest purchase Disney's ever made.

Wouldn't it be funny if Rogers bought ESPN from Disney :)
`````````````````!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disney WILL BASICALLY GIVE ESPN AWAY free. Deep red hole that has no bottom
Starter

by okie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:53 pm

While ESPN is a big target and easy to pick on, I suspect the vast majority of broadcasters involved in big-time sports in America overspent on acquiring the rights and are losing money on their respective contracts. Not just national ones either. Local or regional sports networks purchased exclusive rights for big money even though the numbers they projected were inaccurate and now do not cover expenses.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:28 am

okie wrote:While ESPN is a big target and easy to pick on, I suspect the vast majority of broadcasters involved in big-time sports in America overspent on acquiring the rights and are losing money on their respective contracts. Not just national ones either. Local or regional sports networks purchased exclusive rights for big money even though the numbers they projected were inaccurate and now do not cover expenses.

Right on as viewing habits, including viewing demographics, had changed for good by 2010 as otherwise the cable, satellite, and telco retained old marketing and pricing models with bundles and contracts and the like. In my view greed got the best of them.

If they and the networks had only made their pricing models simpler and included more of what subscribers actually want to watch per package, they still would have retained a great profit and made up the subscriber base, which drifted in millions to pirate feeds and pirate content on demand for whatever, in volume. But no, they just had to push the envelope for over $150 per month, as most households either cannot afford or do not want to pay just to watch a few channels, for their core offerings with more channels and options than any one household cares to have.

These days one should have zero remorse for these firms and screw them for their greed too, but at least new options for skinny bundles have come around at last instead of bloated bundles for hundreds of dollars with mostly BS on them.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Paolo X wrote:It's a safe bet I will be watching the games almost entirely once again in the US on pirate feeds like I have since 2010. Part of that reality is because since 2008, I have never paid extra for ESPN and all those channels (or for a few games in 2011, NBCSN) even when I did have it. Before too long after the glitches are worked out, I'll probably sign up for one of the new services like Sling or Sony Vue though.

But I thought ESPN was included in basic cable/satelite in most regions? I had DIRECTV and ESPN was on basic and then I ditched DIRECTV and now have Century Link Prism TV and it includes ESPN. It's a pretty basic package.
It allows me to watch the streamed CFL games on ESPN3.
All-Star

by Paolo X » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:44 pm

slimjim2 wrote:
Paolo X wrote:It's a safe bet I will be watching the games almost entirely once again in the US on pirate feeds like I have since 2010. Part of that reality is because since 2008, I have never paid extra for ESPN and all those channels (or for a few games in 2011, NBCSN) even when I did have it. Before too long after the glitches are worked out, I'll probably sign up for one of the new services like Sling or Sony Vue though.

But I thought ESPN was included in basic cable/satelite in most regions? I had DIRECTV and ESPN was on basic and then I ditched DIRECTV and now have Century Link Prism TV and it includes ESPN. It's a pretty basic package.
It allows me to watch the streamed CFL games on ESPN3.

Yes but there is even a more stripped-down cable bundle did you know? As for DirecTV, they are cheaper and include ESPN if you have the option for a satellite dish as many do not have easily.

The only amounts I have paid for cable TV whenever I have had it since 2008 were for the most basic bundle that merely includes fewer channels and not ESPN and many of the others in the bundles. Otherwise I had all those channels for free, or I did not bother and used a digital antenna to get most of the channels in the most basic bundle, or like now due to the hilly topography where I live, I pay for the most basic bundle because the digital antenna does not work.

Then I just watch whatever else via the internet whenever I want for no additional charge.
All-Star

Previous