Canucks make Offer to buy Lions

Re: Canucks make Offer to buy Lions

by Grover » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:40 am

jamie wrote:Can anybody from Calgary or familiar with the Flames/Stamps ownership, explain how the co-ownership helps either team. I certainly get why it's beneficial for the Stamps to have underwriters like this but how does it benefit the Flames? Unless of course the Stamps make good money on their own. Maybe they do.

Would they not share the same season ticket marketers, media relation departments, lawyers, advertising people,
air charters, medical and training advisors, etc.?
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by jamie » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:47 am

Yes presumably there would be some savings there. Some. But more staff would need to be added to offset increased workload. But agreed those areas would largely be merged.
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:35 pm

jamie wrote:Can anybody from Calgary or familiar with the Flames/Stamps ownership, explain how the co-ownership helps either team. I certainly get why it's beneficial for the Stamps to have underwriters like this but how does it benefit the Flames? Unless of course the Stamps make good money on their own. Maybe they do.

I believe the Stamps are profitable on their own, or at least they were when the Flames bought them.

Maybe the Flames thought CFL team values were about to escalate?
Maybe they thought owning the Stamps would help them get that taxpayers' $$$ for the CalgaryNext plan?
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:03 pm

Vanhalendlrband2 wrote:The fact we are talking about a 21k as bad attendance already tells me how much the league has improved. There was a time the Lions were pulling in 14,000. BC with bad teams has had decent attendance considering they don't even get close to that for a lot of Canucks games and many Whitecaps games dip well below the 18k mark several times last season so Lions are doing pretty well.

I'm expecting an attendance increase this year by a lot.

Well said.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:05 pm

My guess, the Head Office takes at least 1 share of the TV money. Likely 1.5 shares.
Last edited by KevinRiley2 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by Grover » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:35 pm

The CSEC controls or is affiliated with six teams: the NHL Calgary Flames, the CFL Calgary Stampeders, the NLL Calgary Roughnecks, the WHL Calgary Hitmen, the AHL Stockton Flames, and the ECHL Colorado Eagles.
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by project.legacy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:28 pm

From my understanding, the biggest issue with a Lions sale is David Braley (anyone recall the Argos sale ? He was supposedly a issue there as well)

From the current information out there, Braley either continues to move around the potential sale price, and/or is asking for way too much. Also some heavy suggestions that Braley really doesn't want to sell right now either, unless of course someone gives him an offer he can't refuse.
Starter

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:41 pm

project.legacy wrote:From my understanding, the biggest issue with a Lions sale is David Braley (anyone recall the Argos sale ? He was supposedly a issue there as well)

From the current information out there, Braley either continues to move around the potential sale price, and/or is asking for way too much. Also some heavy suggestions that Braley really doesn't want to sell right now either, unless of course someone gives him an offer he can't refuse.

I believe this is 100% accurate. Braley being Braley.
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:59 pm

project.legacy wrote:From my understanding, the biggest issue with a Lions sale is David Braley (anyone recall the Argos sale ? He was supposedly a issue there as well)

He was very much an impediment in the Argos sale, he had an opportunity to sell the team to the full MLSE in the spring of 2014 and get them in BMO a year earlier (2015) but he got greedy demanding a 50% cut of Grey Cup revenues.

Ticked off the board and the sale derailed it for a year.

So it wouldn't surprise me if him not accepting what the market will bear is delaying this sale as well. If things delcine and the team loses money, he can absorb it can put the next owners in a deeper hole to climb out of....then what people are willing to pay will go down and this carries on.

What sets it apart from Toronto, is the stadium doesn't have a non renewable lease expiring.
All-Star

by jamie » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:07 pm

The one thing Braley will do before selling is extend Buono for as long as Buono wants in whatever role Buono wants with guaranteed money regardless of ownership. Braley will not leave Buono exposed.
All-Star

by BigJoeM » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Mightygoose wrote:

He was very much an impediment in the Argos sale, he had an opportunity to sell the team to the full MLSE in the spring of 2014 and get them in BMO a year earlier (2015) but he got greedy demanding a 50% cut of Grey Cup revenues.

So it wouldn't surprise me if him not accepting what the market will bear is delaying this sale as well. If things delcine and the team loses money, he can absorb it can put the next owners in a deeper hole to climb out of....then what people are willing to pay will go down and this carries on.

What sets it apart from Toronto, is the stadium doesn't have a non renewable lease expiring.

If Braley did what you said with MLSE he needs to go now . I just wish somebody would write a book who knows all about the background of those last 10 years of Argo land .
There was a man who had nothing to hide so he didn't care about privacy and I knew another who had nothing to say so he didn't care about free speech .
Veteran

by KevinRiley2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:12 pm

BigJoeM wrote:If Braley did what you said with MLSE he needs to go now . I just wish somebody would write a book who knows all about the background of those last 10 years of Argo land .

That would be worth reading. :thup:
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Yeah the league is stuck between a rock and a hard place with Braley. As he's credited to saving many teams and Likley the league itself, they can't and won't force him out. Just need to wait this out as there's no risk of the team folding.

Now if the league really wants to be mean ( this won't happen BTW) and give him the boot, the other 8 governors would have agree to dissolve the league and relaunch the it under a new name, from this new league of 8, they vet and select an ownership for a new Vancouver based franchise...voila Braley can't own a team in a league that doesn't exsist.

Another sports league did this to get rid of an owner they didn't want 100 years ago. This formed the franchise now known as the
Toronto Maple Leafs of the newly formed National Hockey League.

It's cruel but fun to think of :)
All-Star

by project.legacy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:13 pm

Mightygoose wrote:He was very much an impediment in the Argos sale, he had an opportunity to sell the team to the full MLSE in the spring of 2014 and get them in BMO a year earlier (2015) but he got greedy demanding a 50% cut of Grey Cup revenues.

Braley was not the reason MLSE didn't buy the team - Rogers is.

Braley did hold up the sale though. Contrary to what people may think, MLSE and later on Bell and Tanenbaum weren't being cheap - Braley's greed held up the sale, and it sounds as though the same will occur in Vancouver.
Starter

by Mightygoose » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:19 pm

project.legacy wrote:
Mightygoose wrote:He was very much an impediment in the Argos sale, he had an opportunity to sell the team to the full MLSE in the spring of 2014 and get them in BMO a year earlier (2015) but he got greedy demanding a 50% cut of Grey Cup revenues.

Braley was not the reason MLSE didn't buy the team - Rogers is.

Braley did hold up the sale though. Contrary to what people may think, MLSE and later on Bell and Tanenbaum weren't being cheap - Braley's greed held up the sale, and it sounds as though the same will occur in Vancouver.

No worries, I was under the impression it was going to be full MLSE at one point but yes Rogers was being difficult too.

Either way, I'm not concerned about the Lion's future. As long as the new owners don't get a Grey Cup right off the back and understand the turnaround won't happen overnight, they'll be fine.
All-Star

PreviousNext