Canucks make Offer to buy Lions

Re: Canucks make Offer to buy Lions

by project.legacy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:33 pm

KevinRiley2 wrote:
project.legacy wrote:The Lions need to be sold, and the Aquilini's not only have the money, but the community ties, and sports synergy with the Canucks (could be a huge boost for the Lions). The time for Braley to go, was a few years ago, hopefully, he's gone within the next 2 years.

As always, MG, well said. :thup:

MG ?
Starter

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:00 pm

project.legacy wrote:
KevinRiley2 wrote:
project.legacy wrote:The Lions need to be sold, and the Aquilini's not only have the money, but the community ties, and sports synergy with the Canucks (could be a huge boost for the Lions). The time for Braley to go, was a few years ago, hopefully, he's gone within the next 2 years.

As always, MG, well said. :thup:

MG ?

Sorry, PL. :)
All-Star

by Aerial » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:13 pm

There is no comparison with the still gate-reliant CFL and the $4.5 million each team receives from the tv deal.

Well LastWord, that is a real significant problem, er perhaps challenge is the more appropriate word, for any new commissioner. Good luck with that one!
Resilience is accepting your new reality, even if it's less good than the one you had before - Elizabeth Edwards
All-Star

by Mightygoose » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Aerial wrote:
There is no comparison with the still gate-reliant CFL and the $4.5 million each team receives from the tv deal.

Well LastWord, that is a real significant problem, er perhaps challenge is the more appropriate word, for any new commissioner. Good luck with that one!

Yup. No comparison at all.

One league has revenues that prints money but also has a salary cap of 167 million US vs. one with more modest revenues but a salary cap of 5.1 million Canadian.

Each NFL's team share of their combined TV revenue is 10 times higher than the operational cost of a CFL team.

Even with attendance around 21K, there are still 6 buyers looking at buying the Lions. 2 completely different business models.
All-Star

by KevinRiley2 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:49 pm

Mightygoose wrote:Even with attendance around 21K, there are still 6 buyers looking at buying the Lions. 2 completely different business models.

We need to be grateful so many groups are interested. It could be Toronto part 2.
All-Star

by Vanhalendlrband2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:07 am

The fact we are talking about a 21k as bad attendance already tells me how much the league has improved. There was a time the Lions were pulling in 14,000. BC with bad teams has had decent attendance considering they don't even get close to that for a lot of Canucks games and many Whitecaps games dip well below the 18k mark several times last season so Lions are doing pretty well.

I'm expecting an attendance increase this year by a lot.
Rookie

by PTBO Dave » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:00 am

Vanhalendlrband2 wrote:The fact we are talking about a 21k as bad attendance already tells me how much the league has improved. There was a time the Lions were pulling in 14,000. BC with bad teams has had decent attendance considering they don't even get close to that for a lot of Canucks games and many Whitecaps games dip well below the 18k mark several times last season so Lions are doing pretty well.

I hope you're right, but is there a particular reason for your optimism?
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by Grover » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:36 am

Aerial wrote:

The $40M TSN TV deal is not split between just the 9 teams, a large portion of that money must go to running the League.
Officiating, Lawyers, Head Office, Executive staff, League functions like combines, the draft etc.,etc.
It costs a lot to run this League, I would not be shocked to find out that $5M or more of that TSN $40M goes to the League Headquarters for operating costs.
Last edited by Grover on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to @Doc_Dave for sig
All-Star

by ed ohmnes » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:52 am

Who's to say the new tsn t.v. Deal will be $40 million again,, don't forget, they lost the NHL deal, and they may not have those funds anymore, I don't know if you can count on that money , should check into that.
Starter

by PTBO Dave » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:11 am

Grover wrote:
Aerial wrote:

The $40M TSN TV deal is not split between just the 9 teams, a large portion of that money must go to running the League.
Officiating, Lawyers, Head Office, Executive staff, League functions like combines, the draft etc.,etc.
It costs a lot to run this League, I would not be shocked to find out that $5M or more of that TSN $40M goes to the League Headquarters for operating costs.

I seem to recall years ago--can't remember if it was during Cohen's or Wright's time as commish--that the league office was taking an equal share of the TV revenues (1/9th or 1/10th) for marketing and operations.
What all men speak well of, look critically into; what all men condemn, examine first before you decide.
-Confucius

When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt. -Robert M. Pirsig
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:33 am

Grover wrote:
Aerial wrote:

We know by looking at the Esks, Riders and Bombers financial statements that all 3 teams receive $4.2 MILLION from the TV contract. Therefore if all 9 teams receive $4.2 MILLION = $37 MILLION - the league HQ would be keeping $3 MILLION.
Last edited by slimjim2 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
All-Star

by slimjim2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:37 am

Grover wrote:
Aerial wrote:

We know from the financial statements from the Esks, Riders and Bombers, that all teams receive $4.2 MILLION
Therefore the league would be keeping $4 MILLION

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/f ... e10053800/
All-Star

by PTBO Dave » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:40 am

The league also has revenues beyond the TV deal, through corporate sponsorships like the GC naming rights. Who knows how much those bring in and how much the league uses for its own operations?
-Confucius

All-Star

by rhymes with orange » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:18 am

Vanhalendlrband2 wrote:The fact we are talking about a 21k as bad attendance already tells me how much the league has improved. There was a time the Lions were pulling in 14,000. BC with bad teams has had decent attendance considering they don't even get close to that for a lot of Canucks games and many Whitecaps games dip well below the 18k mark several times last season so Lions are doing pretty well.

I have to disagree slightly. I recently mentioned in 2016 attendance thread that the Lions should see a modest increase due to more Saturday games, and the possibility of an exciting team to watch. But with the Lions' stadium capacity being what it is and the club's pricing structure for tickets, there's no way it's going to increase by "a lot."

Most seats sell between the 30 yard lines. Those seats tend to be price inelastic because they're occupied by hard core Lions fans and everyone is packed in pretty tight. But being a "bowl" configuration, we know that a significant amount of the 27,500 capacity are end-zone seats for which there just isn't much of a demand. The reality is, the casual fan just does not see the value in $40+ end zone seats.....or paying $50+ to sit in the corner of a bowl!

Add in other factors peculiar to this market such as traffic concerns, the "Seahawks" effect that's been swallowing up football fans, the high cost of living, and the soft marketing effort by Braley and his front office, and it's (sadly) very unlikely you're going to see big increases at the gate at Lions games.
Proud B.C. Lions season ticket holder since 1995.
All-Star

by jamie » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:24 am

Can anybody from Calgary or familiar with the Flames/Stamps ownership, explain how the co-ownership helps either team. I certainly get why it's beneficial for the Stamps to have underwriters like this but how does it benefit the Flames? Unless of course the Stamps make good money on their own. Maybe they do.
All-Star

PreviousNext