Canucks make Offer to buy Lions

Re: Canucks make Offer to buy Lions

by project.legacy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Mightygoose wrote:No worries, I was under the impression it was going to be full MLSE at one point but yes Rogers was being difficult too.

Either way, I'm not concerned about the Lion's future. As long as the new owners don't get a Grey Cup right off the back and understand the turnaround won't happen overnight, they'll be fine.

MLSE was looking into it for about a couple of months at the end of 2013, then held a vote, which Rogers voted no and collapsed the whole thing (Admittedly Braley was being difficult at that time as well, but not the reason the sale didn't happen). The Bills sale, along with Tanenbaum and Rogers involvement with that whole deal, also held up the sale.
Starter

Re: Canucks make Offer to buy Lions

by GHT120 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:05 pm

Mightygoose wrote:... Now if the league really wants to be mean ( this won't happen BTW) and give him the boot, the other 8 governors would have agree to dissolve the league and relaunch the it under a new name, from this new league of 8, they vet and select an ownership for a new Vancouver based franchise...voila Braley can't own a team in a league that doesn't exsist.

Another sports league did this to get rid of an owner they didn't want 100 years ago. This formed the franchise now known as the Toronto Maple Leafs of the newly formed National Hockey League.

It's cruel but fun to think of :)

Agree it is not probable, but I would argue it is also virtually impossible.

I think society is far more litigious than 100 years ago and what you describe would be a totally transparent attempt to attack the value of Braley's asset; even if unsuccessful, litigation might delay the start of the new league for a season or two. Would love to hear what any lawyers think.

The new league might also have issues getting back into BC Place if the Lions have an exclusive lease for football; whatever the rent, it would be a small price for Braley to pay to screw over the CFL as they screwed him over.
All-Star

Previous